Cruise control - light(s) not coming on

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
GD2
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade - GD2
1993 GL1500 Aspencade - Black Gold
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - Ruth

Cruise control - light(s) not coming on

Post by GD2 »

I know there is a TON of info on troubleshooting the Cruise control. I'm looking for what to check (first) when the light doesn't even come on?

(BTW - When I got the bike the cruise control cable connectors were missing from the carb so I got some installed and hooked it up. So if there is a physical "plug" for Cruise control, the PO may have also unplugged it when they removed the carb parts. Who knows..?)

Last edited by GD2 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not just a motorcycle. It's a Gold Wing.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Cruise control - light not coming on

Post by Rambozo »

There are two lights. How they interact can tell a lot about what is working and what is not.
GD2

Re: Cruise control - light not coming on

Post by GD2 »

Neither light comes on - sitting still or at 65mph.
GD2

Re: Cruise control - light(s) not coming on

Post by GD2 »

FYI I recently replaced the rear master brake cylinder.

If the adjusting nut on the master cylinder is adjusted too far in, would it keep the Cruise control light from coming on and keep the whole Cruise system from working?
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Ok, first up is to get the first light to turn on "CRUISE ON". That just requires power and ground to the system.
Things to check, fuse, switch, light bulb, connectors, etc. Do you have the wiring diagram?
The cruise on/off switch is notorious for getting gummed up and not working. It either will not switch or fail to latch in.
The real fix is to take it apart and clean it out, but often some contact spray and a few hundred cycles can get it working again.
The hot tip is that if you do get it to latch and the light comes on. NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN!
There is no reason to turn it off, and it may take another hundred presses to get it on again.
After that you can tackle all the switches and sensors for the "CRUISE SET" light.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

Thank you. I will get to work.

FYI - I just tested the 2-pin wire going to the brake pedal and there is continuity. And when I depress the brake pedal there is still continuity.

FYI 2 - I did recently get the Cruise button to "work" by dousing it in WD, Contact cleaner and alcohol. So although it "works" it may still need to be taken apart and properly cleaned. I will put that on the list.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Once you get the "CRUISE ON" light to come on, it's time to check all the cancel switches. There are pairs of switches on some as they do other functions (clutch, f and rear brake) . Sometimes the switch is electrically faulty, while other times there is a mechanical problem that keeps the switch from being activated. This is more common with the clutch and throttle switches. The testing is well described in the ETM or here is a video.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide

Post by John K »

Rambozo has some good advice

Picture is from my service manual
There a several more pages if you need them

Take Care

Merry Christmas

John K
John K
GD2

Post by GD2 »

He always does!

And thank you - Merry Christmas.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

Some luck so far.

Adjusted the brake pedal so the switch does what it is supposed to do.

Cycled the Cruise switches and doused it with contact cleaner again, for a while, and now the CRUISE SET light cycles on and off when I turn the key on!

Might be a day or two until I can ride it and see where I am at. Fingers crossed.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

As per the above video, I tested the Grn/Blu wire in the C33 bundle and it showed voltage when the clutch was depressed, and when I tested the Brn/Red wire it showed voltage.

I also took the Cruise control panel apart and cleaned the switches and they were functioning very well. Tested the clutch switch by removing cleaning and testing it for continuity - it works. Brake pedal switch works as it should.

The CRUISE SET light cycles when I turn on the key, but, I have yet to get the CRUISE ON light to come on.
Don't really want to remove the whole front area just to get to the bulbs... :cry:

A bad bulb wouldn't keep it from working would it?

I have not yet checked how well the four connectors going to the Cruise control panel are connected (I will probably disconnect and clean/tighten them). Does anyone know the order of how they plug in so I can check that?

THANKS!
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide

Post by John K »

Fuse box next to relay box

Cruise relay is number 6
John K
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

1. Turn on the key, do not start bike. Both CRUISE lights should come on for a two second lamp test. If not, fix that first as you will need them to work to further troubleshoot the system.
Some Honda items do require working lamps, I don't think the cruise does, but it might. Either way they are required to see what is working and what isn't, so fix them first.

2. With the key on (bike still not running, but kill switch in run) press in the CRUISE ON/OFF button. It should lock in place like the HAZARD switch and the CRUISE ON light should come on. This is the most common problem. The switch may not stay in, or even if it does, the light doesn't come on. If it's not working, you can try a few dozen times and it will often work at least once. If it doesn't work, that is the next thing to fix. Without power to the system and the light, nothing else will work. Cycle the kill switch and see that the CRUISE ON light goes on and off.

Adjusting brake and clutch switches first, is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Once you get to this point you can go riding and see what the lights do, and what is working. Most errors can be diagnosed by what the lights do.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

UPDATE - I managed to change the CRUISE ON bulb by jamming my fingers under the dash and pulling out the connector. And IT WORKS NOW. Both CRUISE SET and CRUISE ON cycle when the key comes on, and the CRUISE ON light works according to the position of the switch. :D

Will give it a spin later and see if I have Cruise or where to go next.

THANKS
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Great news. One step closer. Now you can cross off a bunch of stuff that was unknown before.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

Took a quick spin. Lights work as they should now. Nothing happens when I hit the SET button. I was doing 65 in OD.
landisr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A 207k miles
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 6k miles
All miles are mine

Post by landisr »

You mentioned that you cleaned the switches on the clutch and front brake levers.

But the bushings can get worn to the point that the switches become intermitent. Try pushing the levers all the way out before engaging Cruise.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Avatar taken at the Pine Breeze Inn, famous from Easy Rider.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

Already checked bushing in clutch and although it has slight wear, it looks good and switches function as intended. And switch is tested good.

Tonight I pulled apart the brake lever. Removed the switch. Cleaned it. One side breaks continuity when depressed, the other side gains continuity when depressed. So it should be good. And the lever works the switches as it should.

So at this point I think all the micro switches are good and working. I'll need another test ride to check it out.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Follow the test procedures in the service manual and video. Checking at the connectors and module is the only way to verify that the series of switches are really working. They are all wired together in groups. That way you check the switches, the wiring, and the mechanical parts that activate the switches. The cruise faults in all of those ways. Like the aforementioned clutch bushings. You can pull off the switch and test it, check the wiring and the signals, and everything tests good, but when you put it all back together, it doesn't work as designed. Same with those that just listen for a switch click. Very often a bad switch will click just fine, but not be working electrically.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

1 step forward, 2 steps back... :(

Yesterday the CRUISE ON button and light worked perfectly. And I had recently cleaned the REVERSE switch and got the bike starting again.

Today, I go out and the CRUISE ON switch no longer works, but the bulb is good.
And now the REVERSE light wont come on and the bike wont start. The REVERSE light does cycle, and when I hit the reverse switch the NEUTRAL light does go out, but the REVERSE light does not come on. So I pulled the switch on the reverse handle and tested it on the bench. It has a blk, wht and brn wire. There is continuity between blk/brn and blk/wht, one when I press the button, the other when I let it go - I forget which at the moment, so it seems like the switch must be good...? And the fuse is good.

Man... I am really working hard on this and sometimes I just have to step back because it gets tough.

And just as I was getting ready to run through the testing guide from the wiring diagram manual (for the wires in C33).

It looks like I have to get the Reverse working first, but I am lost as to where to start.
GD2

Post by GD2 »

Ok - a step forward.

Not sure what I did, cleaned a few grounds and connectors, who knows. Bike starts, Reverse light comes on, bike reverses, CRUISE ON comes on.

Got about halfway through the testing procedure for the Cruise control in the wiring diagram manual, so far everything seems to be checking out. Will continue later.