Thinking of getting rid of the Radio and CB.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Keystone209
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE with a RS trike kit.

Thinking of getting rid of the Radio and CB.

Post by Keystone209 »

I have a 1999 GL1500SE. I'm going to replace the factory AM/FM/Cassette with something more current like a CarPlay. And since I don't use the CB radio, I think I'll remove it along it's handlebar controls and the antenna. My question is...is there a down side to removing all this? I don't use the CB or the intercom, I can fill the opening with a blank. Maybe even sell it all to help cover the cost of the radio upgrade.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Thinking of getting rid of the Radio and CB.

Post by Rambozo »

You might want to keep the controls to wire to your new sound system.
I added CB controls even though I don't have a CB. I use them for my garage door and lighting.
Finding the OEM CB blanking panel can be a challenge. There were some neat radio blanking panels made a few years ago, but I'm not sure you can get them anymore.
You can either leave the extra antennas, plug the holes, or replace the trim.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

There are a handful of threads where this has been done. In all honesty, I suggest you purchase a Bluetooth headset, pair to phone and/or GPS and not deal with a bike mounted system.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

Never thought of using the controller for the garage door opener. What a great idea! I can make a blank, that's easy enough. Planning on making one for the radio space then milling out the area for the CarPlay.
Just want to be sure I don't mess any electronics up when I remove everything.
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide

Post by John K »

Carpuride may have a unit that fits your idea. Even waterproof unit, I believe I remember seeing.

If you remove CB, controls, etc. Your bike will have holes that will need covered, as Rambozo said fill plates, etc. Plus removing may hurt resale value. Could you use the controls to change channels etc on your new radio?
The CB on the SE model is so while riding with another CB equipped vehicle(s) the driver(s) can communicate in real time. Not hand signals, yelling etc. Semi trucks don't use CBs as much as they use to, which leads to larger pile ups when accidents happen. When I ride with others that have CB , I turn on my CB which makes stops for gas, potty, or emergencies in a timely manner.

Garage door opener uses a mometary switch, I put mine in fairing in front of right pocket and wired to high beam of headlight. Don't have to remove hands from handlebars just flip high/low switch and door opens or closes.

If you can make a filler panel for the radio/cassette delete, say with a 3D printer, make it so others can buy & install. This could pay for your change. As said others have made them in the past but have quit doing so.

Have you seen the Goldwings that have the passenger cubby holes removed and much larger speaker pods are made & put in place? No cutting up your Wing. An idea to go with your radio change. Amps can be put in saddle bags, if needed.

As Andy Cole said there is several Bluetooth headset companies out there for helmet use. I use Sena Freewire as it hooks to the CB, when needed. And microphone is small in size.

On this website Go to GL1500 Information & Questions, when page changes look for yellow box " New Topic" next to it type in the "Search this Forum" box Radio upgrade and you can see & read over 200 times other have ask or said about radio upgrades, to see their ideas.

If you make the radio delete filler plate & rear speaker pads, I for one would be Interested in them.

Good luck on your adventure.

Take Care

Merry Christmas
John K
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Search "Unobtainium" here for more radio info, too.
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide

Post by John K »

Rambozo,

Unobtainium is a heck of a word.
I wrote that down for future reference.

In just the first 10 pages of GL1500 Information & Questions there is

1500 Aftermarket Radio Options
Aftermarket Radio Q
New Digital Radio and GPS for GL1500 question!

Proably even more the further back you go in the posts

So lots of questions, ideas, sources, and maybe answers for your project on this website
John K
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

I know that the CB is dependent on the AM/FM radio making it useless once I've removed the radio. What I don't know if there's anything else on the bike that won't work once these have been removed. Don't want to shot myself in the foot, so to speak. Like, will the clock stop working? Or the compressor digital read out fail? That sort of thing. Love the input!
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Obviously, you will lose all the radio and intercom display functions. The suspension will work, but I can't remember if the clock was there without the radio. I seem to recall that it was also gone without the radio, but I probably had the backup fuse out at that time, so that could have been why. It does share a circuit with the radio.
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

Keystone209 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:30 pm I know that the CB is dependent on the AM/FM radio making it useless once I've removed the radio. What I don't know if there's anything else on the bike that won't work once these have been removed. Don't want to shot myself in the foot, so to speak. Like, will the clock stop working? Or the compressor digital read out fail? That sort of thing. Love the input!

I'd be interested in the CB system if you're looking to make some back
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

Sure, that sounds good. I haven't started working on it yet but when I get to it we'll talk.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

John K wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:11 am If you remove CB, controls, etc. Your bike will have holes that will need covered, as Rambozo said fill plates, etc. Plus removing may hurt resale value.
I know that if I was looking to buy, and found the radio and CB gone, I would walk away and not look back.
Aside from the missing equipment, there would be the worry that someone butchered the wiring and I would be buying a big headache.
Just my two cents....
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
jimdar
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE

Post by jimdar »

Someone at one point, mentioned a filler plate to mount a new radio when you remove the stock one - I’m in Canada , does anyone know where to get one of these ?? Thanks in advance
GD2
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade - GD2
1993 GL1500 Aspencade - Black Gold
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - Ruth

Post by GD2 »

Nothing will sound better than an in-helmet system.

And for even less, and again, better sounding than a bike stereo, bluetooth ear buds.
That's not just a motorcycle. It's a Gold Wing.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

jimdar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 pm Someone at one point, mentioned a filler plate to mount a new radio when you remove the stock one - I’m in Canada , does anyone know where to get one of these ?? Thanks in advance
Search "Unobtainium" here and you will find the topics about the radio filler panel. Not sure if any more will be made.
jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
1979 Honda CM400T
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:45 am
jimdar wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 pm Someone at one point, mentioned a filler plate to mount a new radio when you remove the stock one - I’m in Canada , does anyone know where to get one of these ?? Thanks in advance
Search "Unobtainium" here and you will find the topics about the radio filler panel. Not sure if any more will be made.
I don't think that the unobtainium panel is available any more. I have heard of one person that if he gets enough requests, he can have a "run" made, but they will be expensive. That said, I found this on thingiverse.com if you have, or know some one that has a 3D printer...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6150216
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!
jimdar

Post by jimdar »

Thanks a bunch, that should work - cheers
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

Spent the winter working on the replacement radio, one with Android auto capability. Here's the first one. I made it so the radio laid flat but on the first ride this spring the sun literally washed out the screen so bad that I could not see anything on the display. Back to the drawing board. With the second one I tilted the radio a bit hoping that the angle will reduce the sun glare. It's been snowy here but hopefully soon I'll be able to get out, ride and test this one out.
Attachments

1st attempt.
1st attempt.

2nd attempt
2nd attempt

jimdar

Post by jimdar »

Looks good, thanks - someone found a filler plate on Thingiverse that for a 3D printer
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

I saw that. Since I don't have access to a 3D printer I choose to use HDPE for the first try the. Switched to sheet metal for the second.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Is that enough angle to shed snow?
jimdar

Post by jimdar »

I would think so LOL - I’m going to buy a Marine version so it’s waterproof
Keystone209

Post by Keystone209 »

I was able to make a blank for the CB out of HDPE
Attachments