Limited crank rotation

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Richard_pageii
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Limited crank rotation

Post by Richard_pageii »

Good morning. I am completely new to forums, so I’m hoping I can get a little help.
I recently acquired a 1988 Goldwing. It was not running and I was told it needed a starter, and carbs rebuilt. I purchased a used starter because the two terminal starters are apparently discontinued. I tested the starter and installed it. I then discovered that the solenoid was bad. I installed a new solenoid and heard it energize, but no engine rotation. After about the 4th attempt, that solenoid failed. I figured the engine was seized, but decided to try manual rotation before scrapping the GW.
I’ve discovered the crank will actually rotate about 7/8 of a turn by hand in either direction (so it’s not seized), but then it comes to a solid stop. I pulled the valve covers and plugs. I can see piston movement through the plug holes, and valves all appear to be present and moving.
Any ideas what might be the cause of this limited crank rotation? I’m about to down load the service manual and tear into it, but I’d like to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.
I’ve been an auto/diesel mechanic most of my life, but I’m new to motorcycles. I’m sure this is fixable, I’m just not sure what I’m looking at without tearing it apart.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Limited crank rotation

Post by Rambozo »

Something in a cylinder, or even just rust?
Have you tried putting some penetrating oil in the cylinders?
Do you have a borescope to look around?
Are the timing marks aligned?
Richard_pageii
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Post by Richard_pageii »

Thanks, Rambozo. I do not have a bore scope, as of yet. However, they seem to be reasonably priced at Harbor Freight, so I may do that.
I don’t think it is a rust issue, as I can kind of hear “something” hit when rotation stops. The problem is, I can’t tell if it’s coming from a cylinder, or in crankcase.
Probably bore scope is the way to go….I was just curious if anyone had a similar issue that would point me in the right direction.
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I would pull the timing covers off and check that the camshafts and crankshaft timing marks are still aligned. This sounds like a timing jump. If so there will probably be valve and/or piston damage. Good Luck.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.