STARTER RELAY B POWER

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
CSC F3 sidecar
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

STARTER RELAY B POWER

Post by aj1500 »

I have tried to do my search first but don't seem to be able to find my answers, so here it is
working on an 89 1500, it's been sitting for a few years due to this issue, I am trying to find why it won't start. I get power to relay A and when I hit the starter button relay A clicks but B does not
I get power to the main lug on the starter when I hit the start button and the trigger wire to relay B gets power but there is NO power on the large lugs of relay B. if I understand correctly both A & B have to activate for the starter to run, so the question I am trying to find an answer to is where does relay B get it's main power to the large lug from so it can activate when triggered from the starter button.
I hope that makes since

paseandoconhonda
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: STARTER RELAY B POWER

Post by paseandoconhonda »

Did you remove the relay to test it outside? You can check continuity with the manual, cable by cable, that's also good.
Attachments

At night and at 100 it is not noticeable.
aj1500
CSC F3 sidecar
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

So from looking at the diagram it looks like I was wrong, relay B creates the ground for the starter not power. glad I came here as I didn't know that. so If it isn't clicking when I hit the starter button but being actuated by the trigger wire then it's not connecting the ground. I will test it for continuity and go from there.
Thanks for the diagram
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Just a little rearward and below the engine oil dipstick is the one wire reverse switch. Remove the wire and on the wire stud check for continuity to ground with reverse lever down in forward position. They can get stuck over time, if no continuity to ground remove and spray some carb cleaner on the plunger while working it and retest from stud to body/threads of switch. With that wire off, key ON and starter button pushed check for voltage on the wire.
Last edited by ct1500 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
aj1500
CSC F3 sidecar
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

Thanks for that. I will check that also, I did check to see if the neutral light goes out if I engage the reverse lever and come back on when I release it, that part works and the starter relay won't click when the reverse lever is engaged.
aj1500
CSC F3 sidecar
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

just a quick update, I did get relay B to work (not sure what I did). I removed the starter and when I first bench tested it, it wouldn't work. I pulled the end cap and it was pretty packed with years of carbon powder from dust & the brushes. I cleaned it out good made sure everything was making contact and the brushes were moving smoothly in the holders. when I put it back together she came alive when tested. However once back in the bike still just clicking. This was all I had time to do. at least I know the starter is good now I can concentrate on the other possible causes until I find it. The main reason I went ahead and pulled the starter was the PO told me he had taken it to a shop and they determined the starter was bad. Next step check stop switch and reverse switch as suggested above