Can someone tell me

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
usasoldier85
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Can someone tell me

Post by usasoldier85 »

Can someone please tell me what this module is? Long story short, I was upgrading my lights to led. I changed to turn signal relay to resolve the hyper flash issue. Well the replacement didnt work at all. During this something got fried and now my turn signals to work at all. I have checked everything I can possible check. Hazards still work, swapping turn and hazard relays, the position relay works and so on. I was looking online and there was something on ebay to try and fix this issue. But I cannot find anything on this particular module. I honestly dont even know where to look on the bike. If someone knows what it is, please let me know.

FYI: its a 1988 GL1500
Attachments

paseandoconhonda
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Can someone tell me

Post by paseandoconhonda »

I particularly don't like LEDs on motorcycles because when they were manufactured, they did not exist as lighting. They take away its originality. Furthermore, they always generate problems sooner or later, they are the cause of more problems than solutions. Conclusion, put the right bulbs in and that's it, this is what it looked like in 1988 and this is what it will look like in 2024.
At night and at 100 it is not noticeable.
usasoldier85

Post by usasoldier85 »

The only reason I change bulbs to LED is because they last a whole lot longer. I just picked this bike up, and half the bulbs were burned out. But I am very particular about what bulbs I put on my bikes and cars. I don't put anything thats going to blind people or myself at night. I also try to stick with color specific, red for brakes, amber for turns and so on. honestly you cannot even tell they are led unless you see the turn signal pop on and off instead of fade on and off. Unfortunately, something burned out in the upgrade process. Could have been from me, or could have been a ticking time bomb because the bike had been sitting for over a year. When I got the bike, nothing worked. Even the fuses were too dirty to work. Right now, im trying to get my turn signals to work again. The module I attached photos of is included in a bundle I purchased from ebay. But I have not clue where it would be on the bike and the manuals do not even list it. If anyone has any insight on where it is, or what it does, I would greatly appreciate it.
paseandoconhonda

What model are the cables you bought? because there are variations between 88 and 90 something. They can have things, be missing things, and even have the same thing but with different wire colors.
usasoldier85

Post by usasoldier85 »

I actually didn't buy any harnesses or cables. The turn signals worked before I started upgrading. When I changed out the relay for an LED one, it stopped. in my efforts of trying to get it to work, I found a store on ebay that was selling a bundle of things related to turn signals from an 88, which is what I have. Ill attach a photo of the bundle, but everything but the one module with the fuse I have found on my bike. Which is what has lead me to create an account and ask.
Attachments

paseandoconhonda

I recognize most of what is in the photo, I also have an 88. The question is: that mysterious piece, where on the motorcycle was it and what was it connected to?
Sometimes the LEDs consume so little that the systems consider it defective and strange things happen in operation.
usasoldier85

Post by usasoldier85 »

I have no clue either. I asked the seller, and they didn't remember. I have asked another seller on eBay and haven't received a response yet. Also, the manual I have doesn't go into detail in regards to relays and modules or their specific locations.
paseandoconhonda

If you give me an email I can send you the one I have, it's not from '88 but it helps a lot and has all the details.
See if you can download it from this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PBm5DD ... sp=sharing
On page 19-01 the interesting part for you begins
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

That doesn't look like a Honda factory plug. It might be a trailer lighting isolator. Does it have any kind of part number markings on it?
You may have damaged the self-cancelling module locating inside the steering stem.
usasoldier85

Post by usasoldier85 »

paseandoconhonda, i actually have a digital version for 89, the problem is that is doesn't even show anything that resembles anything like it. I appreciate it though.

Rambozo, it does not have any markings, but it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so we will see. Unfortunately, if by chance it is trailer related, who knows what one of the previous owners removed. The bike had a tow light harness spliced into the tail lights which I had to remove and repair the wiring. I do want to get the oem harness back on the bike just incase I do ever decide to get a small trailer for it.
ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

Stray electrical currents on antiquated equipment with solid state components is a possibility in circuitry. Incandescent lighting does provide a ground path for these anomalies and is the reason I would not change every bulb over to LED which I think does not provide that pathway to ground. I did change two of my brake lights to LED reducing some current draw when stopped in traffic. YMMV
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
ggomis
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by ggomis »

I have a very simliar item that is to control the cornering lights with a three way switch. It was an after market that I installed back in 1992 on my 1990 SE.
The switch has three positions.
1- Working as factory, turn cornering lights with the turn signal.
2- Off
3- On all the time.
I am 99% that block with the fuse is identical the one I have for the cornering light control.