GL1500 Reverse Not Working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tim.mckee
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Goldwing

GL1500 Reverse Not Working

Post by tim.mckee »

I have had an issue with the reverse not working for some years now on my 1999 Honda GL1500 Aspencade. I checked all the relays, and all checked well for continuity. Made sure all wiring was intact and not frayed. I have not replaced the controller under the trunk yet, however.

What is happening is that when in neutral, I pull the reverse handle about halfway and the neutral light goes out, and the reverse light doesn't come on. Sometimes I can position the handle about three quarters of the way up and I can reverse but most of the time it simply doesn't want to go into reverse. When I do pull the handle into the full and locked position for reverse, the bike locks into gear but goes nowhere.

Any ideas you have will be appreciated.
Tim

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: GL1500 Reverse Not Working

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like the cables and switches are out of sync, you just need to adjust everything. It is all described in the service manual. You can also search here for more info. I seem to remember some people talking about a pin or bushing that goes bad by the lever.
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

I presume reverse light never comes on so you need to follow the diagnostic routine in the manual as a step forward.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
tim.mckee
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Goldwing

Post by tim.mckee »

Thanks guys. I will try to find a qualified Gold Wing mechanic in our near San Antonio who can do this. I don't have the expertise nor the service manual.

You've been a big help, blessings.
Tim