Toe shifter replacement / adjustment?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Colts
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE, 1987 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Toe shifter replacement / adjustment?

Post by Colts »

I'm going to attempt to explain this.. so please bear with me.

I'm getting back into riding after a few years off.. and I bought a 1994 GL1500SE, that is the bike (looks and performance) that I have always wanted. Problem is that when I rode years ago on my GL1200.. my feet were very 'different' along with the changes in the bikes themselves. What I mean by that, is that I've got issues now (I'm legally handicapped now because of my feet and their issues) with my feet, and the 'mechanics' of them and my boots, are vastly different than they used to be (I now wear a size 18 5E boot vs. a size 15 3E). That said.. my toe shifter lever (stock for my 'wing) is fighting me (figuratively speaking) with relation to how my feet are. Meaning that, because of my feet and the boots I wear now, (I boots I wear are safety toe, and MUCH taller from sole to the top of the boot, i.e. about 3"+ thick vs. probably half that with my previous shoes) and down shifting is challenging getting my foot between the valve cover/head of the motor, and the shifter knob.

So, if that makes sense.. are there any recommendations for either adjusting the knob, or replacing it with one that will give me more space than the stock one? If I can loosen the lock screw and just rotate the foot pedal (is that recommended?) down.. I suppose I can do that.. but I would also like to have the foot peg extend longer away from the engine to give me better placement of the knob in relation to my feet.

I appreciate any tips or recommendations.

Thanks all,

Colts

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Toe shifter replacement / adjustment?

Post by Rambozo »

You will have to remove the lock bolt then the shifter to rotate it as there is a bolt groove and a spline. I would advise installing a shifter brace while you are there as that will help keep things in place. You may have cornering clearance issues with a lower position and for sure if you relocate the foot peg. Not a deal breaker, but just be aware of it.
You can also have the aluminum shifter cut and welded to change its position or extend it. (For sure have the brace if extending.) Same with the foot peg. It could be modified to extend or relocate it.

Honda does have a fix for this...

It's called DCT. :P
paseandoconhonda
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by paseandoconhonda »

perhaps looking for a longer lever and adapting it, which should surely place the support that friend Rambozo mentions. I leave a couple of photos so you can see what it is about and it is essential since if you are going to lengthen the lever the fatigue in the case seal will be greater.
Keep in mind that leaving more space above the lever means less space below.
Attachments

At night and at 100 it is not noticeable.
Colts
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE, 1987 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Colts »

Thanks guys.. I did get that support assembly/bracket as suggested, and regardless what I end up with for the shifter lever itself.. the support took all the slap out of the shifter lever, which is great!

So again, thanks!

Well, moved it one spline tooth down (i.e. rotated clockwise on the spindle).. and pretty much the same issue as before.. little better, but didn't solve the problem. Two splines down, and downshifting is a breeze.. but then I can't upshift as the lever is actually below my foot peg and I can't get my boot to hardly rotate that far down to get under the lever to upshift. Ugh.

Now I'm thinking that I need to actually shorten the lever and tweak the peg location a bit.. but I really don't want to cut my OEM shifter lever and possibly screw that up.

So not sure how, but thinking a toe / heel shifter assembly could do it if I can find one that works.. any suggestions? I am looking online but not finding a whole lot of them for that age of bike. If someone out there has one that works well and a link to it.. that would be awesome.

Thanks again so much for the help.

As always,

Colts
paseandoconhonda

You should try with some accessory for the tip of the shoe, which is thinner and allows you to put the gears. Be careful, I read comments that the "toe and heel" lever breaks the gearbox. Make sure of that, I would try the first thing I told you.
bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

buy a 2nd lever off ebay and have it modified to suit your needs
paseandoconhonda

Many times, when I'm not wearing motorcycle boots and to avoid dirtying my shoes, I use that edge of the sole to raise the lever. To downshift I press down and that's it.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Suicide shifters are still being made, if that floats your boat.