Buying a used Compu-fire alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jscompto
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE

Buying a used Compu-fire alternator

Post by jscompto »

Hey there!

I just scored a used Compu-fire for my 99 GL1500 SE. The alternator went out on me without notice on Mother's Day weekend a little over a week ago. I found a used one on eBay and got it for a really good price! My issue is that the small pigtail and wire that comes from the compu-fire alternator was missing...so I want to make sure I hook things up correctly. Is there a diagram out there showing this or is there somewhere I can get a plug that will fit it? See attached pics.

The previous owner had replaced the alternator before selling it to me about 3 years ago. I've had zero issues but I've heard all the horror stories, then had my own. When the previous owner replaced it, they must have cut the factory plug off of the wire from the bike to the alternator and also from the alternator to the bike because it was wire nutted together.

Basically I just need to hook that small wire in the pictures up to the plug on the new Compu-fire alternator. The rest is pretty simple I'd say.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
Attachments

jscompto

Re: Buying a used Compu-fire alternator

Post by jscompto »

A couple more close up pictures of the plug I need to find or somehow make.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Can't quite tell from the pics, but it sure looks like either a Weatherpack or a Metripack socket.
You can probably get a pigtail at a local autoparts store, or online from https://findpigtails.com/
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide
Former bikes
305 Honda
750 Honda

Post by John K »

You could call Engine Electronics, Inc
196 University in Pomona, California 91768
At
909-598-5485
Which is the company that makes the Compu-Fire charging system

Looks like they have parts, maybe they will have what you wish

REMINDER: If the 4 rubber dampers are hard they should be replaced

I have included installation instructions that I received in 09 when I purchased a Compu-Fire for my Wing

Best of luck
Attachments

Compu-Fire Installation Instructions
Compu-Fire Installation Instructions

John K
jscompto

Post by jscompto »

Ok, so I called Compu-fire today and talked to a guy in their technical department...he said the part # I gave him didn't exist in their system (#001-58100) so I'm guessing this is an older "discontinued" model alternator they used to carry. The new part number according to their website is #58500....

Anywho, we figured that out and he said they don't sell the plugs separately. So....I guess I'll have to figure out how to make my own?? Anyone have a wiring diagram or have a picture of how their plug is wired on their # 58100 Compu-fire alternator?
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

jscompto wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:07 pm Ok, so I called Compu-fire today and talked to a guy in their technical department...he said the part # I gave him didn't exist in their system (#001-58100) so I'm guessing this is an older "discontinued" model alternator they used to carry. The new part number according to their website is #58500....

Anywho, we figured that out and he said they don't sell the plugs separately. So....I guess I'll have to figure out how to make my own?? Anyone have a wiring diagram or have a picture of how their plug is wired on their # 58100 Compu-fire alternator?
It just so happens that I have a spare CompU-Fire. Yes, it does say #58500 on the box but it also says 001-58100 on the alternator. If the fellow you spoke to had looked at an actual alternator, he most likely would have seen that.
Here are a few pictures for you.

What's on the Box
What's on the Box

Numbers on the box.

What's on the Alternator
What's on the Alternator

Numbers on the Alternator

Connector installed
Connector installed

Connector installed

Connectors male and female side by side
Connectors male and female side by side

Connectors male and female

Connector Pictorial
Connector Pictorial

Showing which pins are used.

Connection to the bike
Connection to the bike

Connector umbilical.
Notice that there is but one wire used in the connector. The pin closest to them index locator pin on the alternator connector is the one that is used.
Also, the top of the "T" on the connector that goes to the bike harness is the one used.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Kit to crimp or a pigtail if you don't have the tools.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0872F3QVY/?tag=goldwingdocs-20
Find This Item on Amazon:
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I did a little digging in Amazon and found something that jogged my memory. Then I went out and checked the umbilical wire that is used to connect the Compu-Fire alternator to the motorcycle and that confirmed what I remembered.

That umbilical wire is a resistor wire. It is 1,000 ohms. I have to assume that the resistor is a 2 watt resistor. I didn't take it apart to check it out.

I'm guessing that you can not connect the bike wiring directly to the Compu-fire alternator. The Compu-Fire is a GM alternator and the connector can be found on Amazon. I entered "gm alternator connector" in the search window and found several connectors. That is where it jarred my memory about the resistor in the umbilical.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
jscompto

Post by jscompto »

WOW, thank you guys!

This is exactly the information and pictures I was looking for! I really appreciate it and I should hopefully have everything I need now to get something done on it! Well done guys!