Starting problem - broken gear teeth

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JustSomeITguy
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade
2002 ST1100

Starting problem - broken gear teeth

Post by JustSomeITguy »

1997 1500 Aspencade was running fine, no issues starting other than a weak battery.
Replaced battery and went for a few problem free rides. Parked it for a week of rain and when I went to start it it went clunk, and then nothing, just a full metal on metal clunk sound.
Checked battery, was at 80%, topped it off and tried to start it again, sounds like someone tossed a bag of rocks in a washing machine., quit trying to start it immediately.

Pulled started out and it's fine. Put finger in hole the starter goes into and tried moving things around, found the clunky jammed up something, little research indicates have to pull the motor, so I've done that and can see the teeth broken off a couple gears. I'm having a little trouble getting the rear cover off the engine to get a better look at what's going on.

Wondering if anyone has an idea of what could cause something like the gears breaking off to happen and open to any input on what to look for, anything extra I should do or watch out for while I have it all ripped apart.

Bought it at the end of summer '22 with 28k miles on it and it's been problem free until now at 38k miles. Changing the timing belts and spark plugs while the engine is out.

Thanks in advance Image
Attachments

Need to remove cover
Need to remove cover

Broken gears
Broken gears

Couple extra views of broken gears

Just Some IT Guy
1997 1500 Aspencade
2002 ST 1100
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Starting problem - broken gear teeth

Post by Rambozo »

One possibility is that the motor was hydrolocked when you tried to start it. A bad petcock and cause this. But it would be rare that the starter would have enough umph to bust a gear. Be sure to look for any foreign debris that might have caused it.