Stalls when put in gear

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
scottydaum
Motorcycle: 1988 1500 Goldwing and 1985 1100 Shadow

Stalls when put in gear

Post by scottydaum »

I have looked and looked, but am nit getting anywhere.
Some backround info.
1988 1500
On a 10,000 mile trip in 2022 the sidestand switch failed, and I just bypassed the switch by jumping the 2 wires together. Finished the trip with no other issues.
When I got home I added LED bulbs to the headlights, position lights, stop and turn signals. I had to remove the old analog Wig-Wag thing and return to the original wires.
I replaced old flasher with Electronic Flasher for LEDS
After that I lost the self cancelation of the turn signals, and the cornering lights stopped working.
The bike sat on the work stand for about 8 months while we dealt with Covid, and my Wife died of colon cancer.
Later I changed the oil and filter
I took it off the stand srated it, had my rain gear on, and the bike was packed for a January trip from NC to AZ, and put the bike ingear to leave and it stalled.
I re-bypassed the sidestand switch but NOW when I jump the 2 wires together I get the sidestand warning light. I don't understand that as it was not that way before.
At some point over the winter I decided to learn how to use the reverse feature as I had never used it before while owning the bike 10 years.
I had not even put the reverse handle back on after a paint job because I figured if the handle was there I might be temped to use it.
In the process I improperly tried to use a screw driver as a lever to engage the reverse and did NOT pull the handle out before rotating it up and back. I bent the loop where the pin goes.
The cable pully for the reverse seems to be ok and the contacts on the switch activated by the pully are not engaged, The whole thing is rather stiff and I suspect the cables are not returning very freely.
I have put a new brass bushing in the clutch handle.
Have tried to check both the switches on the clutch side and I THINK they are alright.
I have flushed and bled the clutch fluid.
I have not tested the diodes in the rear, and I do not know what goes on at the other end of the reverse pully shaft on what I assume ( I know, I know) leads to someplace on the right side of the bike and egages the actual reverse gear to the starter.
I am stumped and the bike has now be broken for nearly a year and I WANT IT BACK.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!