GL1500 exhaust chuffing or popping

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
piekielrl
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A

GL1500 exhaust chuffing or popping

Post by piekielrl »

Greetings all, I have a 97 Aspencade with 31K miles, always been well-maintained. Recently it has started making soft chuffing or popping sounds from the left exhaust when idling cold (After turning the choke off from the initial start). If I ride 5-10 minutes and then let the bike idle again, the noise is gone, but if it sits for 15 min or so and I start it up again, it chuffs once more. Again, this only happens at cold idle. I put vacuum gauges on both carbs and they are both balanced and show no wiggling or moving with the chuff sounds. Here is a YT link where you can hear the noise:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Any ideas what might be causing this? The bike runs fine and smooth as far as I can feel. Thanks!

AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Re: GL1500 exhaust chuffing or popping

Post by AceCycleNut »

Sounds like its possibly getting gunked up carbs. If your bike has been parked much it could be those very small low speed circuits in the carbs. '97 with 31K sounds like it has been resting a lot. The first thing I would try right now before it gets worse,is put some SeaFoam in the tank. Directions on the can, but you can't really put to much in.
Follow the directions ;) . I would dump a full can in a FULL tank and maybe expect it to run a little funny at first. Then wait for the magic. It's most certainly worth a try, before you have to think about pulling and cleaning carbs. Or looking for a tiny vacuum leak.....that is probably under the carbs.
So try SeaFoam. Easy Peasy and you won't even skin a knuckle.
Of course that's all a total shot in the dark for me because you say your bike was well maintained,but you didn't really get specific enough about what well maintained is. Some would say parked for 15 years in the garage with a cover and a battery maintainer is "well maintained".
Good luck and please let us know outcome.

ACN
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
piekielrl
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A

Post by piekielrl »

Thanks, I'll give the sea foam a try first. I bought the bike 5 years ago from my buddy with only 24K. I've ridden a little over 1000 miles per year since then. If the sea foam doesn't work, I'll try new plugs, and while the covers are off, check for vacuum leaks. (I have vacuum gauges on it, there is no difference between the carbs and the read the same as lat year, when the problem wasn't there.
bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by bbrackett »

I think thats a mis-fire either too much fuel or spark issue, I had rebuilt my carbs, and yes, my left float is likely still a touch high, but I found my Ignition Pickups had metal shavings on them and caused that issue when I replaced my timing belts, I checked and cleaned the ignition sensors, and that resolved my random mis-fire, cold and hot :-)
cold it's trying to advance the ignition and having trouble finding the exact position and it's dropping the spark