Double Din Stereo Upgrade

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
SilverT
Motorcycle: 2000 GW

Double Din Stereo Upgrade

Post by SilverT »

Finally got it done ... dumped the old, out dated stereo/CB unit and installed a cheap Double Din stereo.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Double Din Stereo Upgrade

Post by Rambozo »

Did you utilize the old handlebar controls?
SilverT

Post by SilverT »

No and I'm not sure it's possible. This unit comes with a "steering wheel" control so once I figure out how to make it work, I'll probably use that. Unfortunately the so-called "manual" is useless. Doesn't explain much of anything as to a HOW TO. I used the wiring diagram off another unit (they are pretty much all the same) and a wiring diagram for the radio connector to match up the wires. Couldn't see anything for the rear speakers though. So basically I got power and the front speakers working. That's about all I need for that, just now need to find instructions for the Blue Tooth connectivity to my phone.
Mikel89us
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE 50th Anniversary

Post by Mikel89us »

You can absolutely do it with stock controls. I have a 99 with a goldwing-sounds.com radio conversion and the factory controls work for tuning and mute. It also has buttons for home, navigation, mute and radio on the insert. You just need to know what you're doing.. also, I have the software for the radio that sets it up to work like it should. I could reverse engineer it someday to let you.know what they did, but I don't have any olans on tearing it apart right now. We ride almost every day.

The only thing that sucks is the volume controls are on screen and there's no external control for it. It probably would be easier to use the "steering wheel controller" that comes with it though
SilverT

Post by SilverT »

That unit I displayed pics of wound up being a DUD. I returned it and got a refund. I did purchase a different unit and it works as it should. I was also able to replace the stock antennas with a single shorty.