Crosswired LED turn signal Flasher- snap noise now turn signal circuit does nothing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
riderken61@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Crosswired LED turn signal Flasher- snap noise now turn signal circuit does nothing

Post by riderken61@gmail.com »

Hi All,
1993 GL1500 SE Canadian Edition ( ie metric gauges etc)

My Amazon Chinese made LED comparable turn signal flasher came with the wires not slotted into the three pin connector. Being fairly new to electrical work I consulted the wiring diagram and learned the following about the three wires connected to the OEM flasher relay:

1- The “white with green stripe” wire is power into the flasher. I connected that the the B terminal in the flasher (I later realized that stands for Battery and that this was the correct connection.)

2 - The “gray” wire serves to bring power from the flasher to the turn signal switch in the left switch housing on the handlebar, which goes to the turn signal bulbs (L or R as switched by rider) and then to ground from there. This should have been connected to the “L” terminal on the LED comparable flasher.

3 - The “blue with black stripe” send a signal to the turn “signal cancel unit” which is the ground for the flasher so I assuming this is also power out to ground. This should have been connected to the “E” (for Earth or Ground) terminal on the LED comparable flasher.

I got #1 right BUT I now realize I reversed 2 and 3 so things didn’t go well when I tested the circuit with LED bulbs in the rear flasher sockets and the original incandescent bulbs in the front turn signal sockets.
(At that time I did’t know what the B L and E stood for - Battery, Load , Earth)

When I tested things I heard four or five very fast clicking noises from the area of the flasher under the trunk and a snapping kind of noise near the rear of the bike and all with a second or two and then nothing…. I may have had a flash or two I can’t recall as I was traumatized with panic immediately.

I removed the LED flasher I had mis-wired and reinstalled the original functioning OEM flasher…. nothing happened when I indicated a left or right turn. Zero illumination. Zilch…. Nothing….

I removed the two LED bulbs and replaced them with the original bulbs. I checked all four bulbs by operating the 4 way hazard lights and they worked just fine when I pressed the hazard lights…
(I know it’s a a different flasher but it uses the same bulbs as the turn signal circuit….)

The fuses in the fuse block are all good and I removed and bench tested Relay 1 and it is clicking and showing continuity when powered.

The engine turns over fine and all the dash lights come on and headlight hi/low, flashers, etc. Everything seems to be working except the turn signals which are just a dead non functioning circuit.

HELP!

What damage did cross wiring the Load to the turn signal switch and bulbs Terminal on the LED Flasher with the E Terminal (ground) via via and to the Turn Signal Cancel Unit. Gray and Blue w black striped wires were connected to each other’s proper flasher terminals….

Where is the turn signal cancelling unit?
Is there some hidden fuse somewhere?

I am hoping it is a matter of having damaged a replaceable component….

I don’t see any diodes on the Turn signal circuit in the Honda Electrical Trouble Shooting manual….

I feel the bike is a total loss if I can’t get this figured out so I really hope someone one here can help me figure this out.

Thanks,

Ken

PS I have a quality pre wired plug and play LED flasher on order from Cyclemax in case I ever get this fixed. I have put so much time and sweat equity into going over this bike from head to toe to make it a bike I know and trust…. I am fearful it will be reduced to a parts bike if I cannot get this figured out….
Attachments

LED flasher
LED flasher

Some wiring info from Wingadmin
Some wiring info from Wingadmin

More wiring info from Wingadmin
More wiring info from Wingadmin

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Crosswired LED turn signal Flasher- snap noise now turn signal circuit does nothing

Post by Rambozo »

Hopefully you have learned that electrical isn't a "take a guess and see what happens" kind of thing. If you don't know how something works or is hooked up, find out before taking chances.
My guess is you have burned out the cancel unit. It is located in the steering stem and I believe WingAdmin has a How-To article that covers replacing it.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23661
The hardest part is getting enough slack in the wires to unplug it. I don't believe new ones are available, but used ones are not too hard to find. I would go over the wiring diagram and do some testing first to confirm. Also you might want to have a look at your fuses. You may have counterfeit fuses or the wrong size. There is a good article showing how many Chinese fuses pass current way over their rating. You should have blown a fuse before the cancel unit, but on an old bike that doesn't always happen.
BTW the cancel unit typically won't work if you change to all LEDs. Keeping one incandescent or adding some load resistors will take care of that.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Crosswired LED turn signal Flasher- snap noise now turn signal circuit does nothing

Post by offcenter »

I agree with Rambozo.
I think you fried the cancel unit.
Been there. Done that.
I found a used one on Ebay.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
riderken61@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Post by riderken61@gmail.com »

Thanks to you both. Much appreciated. I will take your advice and check the cancel unit.