What do I need to make my CB work?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

What do I need to make my CB work?

Post by Quick Cal »

My 96 1500 has the oem cb. But there's no helmet or mic. Is there a way to hook up just a hand held mic for emergency use. Like if I broke down and there was no cell service? Or it would be ok too if I could get bear reports while going down the highway.

I do have a cardo talkback slim. Could the cb be made to work with that some kind of magic,,,,lol.

Thanks

GD2
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: What do I need to make my CB work?

Post by GD2 »

I'm not sure, but this guy might know :D

That's not just a motorcycle. It's a Gold Wing.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Indirectly answered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72567&p=426118#p426118

As far as the 'Smokey and the Bandit' days of 'bear reports', that has long ago disappeared.

Much better ways of doing that are available today with any smart phone in use today - Waze is but one way.
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

Post by Quick Cal »

kwthom wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:36 am Indirectly answered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72567&p=426118#p426118

As far as the 'Smokey and the Bandit' days of 'bear reports', that has long ago disappeared.

Much better ways of doing that are available today with any smart phone in use today - Waze is but one way.
I've heard mention of waze. I'll look into it. Is it free,,,,lol.

As I mentioned, this would mostly for emergency use when there was no cell signal. And maybe to hear the truckers talking about my dog in the sidecar going by them,,,lol.

As far as using a smart phone goes. I was always an android guy. It would give your current speed and a warning that there was a speed trap ahead. It was good enough. Then when that phone got trashed like a fool I let my son talk me into an iphone. I hate this thing. If it didn't cost so much I would smash it with a hammer,,,lol. It does NOT give current speed or speed trap warnings. It's an apple thing.

But I did come up with a bit of a work around over the winter. Still not fully tested though. I mounted an android heavy duty, weather resistant tablet, via ram mount to the wing. It will be my gps. I have it bluetoothed to my iPhone for cell service. In theory , I think I will get current speed and speed trap alerts on the android tab. Think I'll go test it when the rain stops, or at least in the truck,,,,lol.

Nice big screen that an old guy can see.

kwthom

Post by kwthom »

Quick Cal wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:21 am
kwthom wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:36 am Indirectly answered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72567&p=426118#p426118

I've heard mention of waze. I'll look into it. Is it free,,,,lol.

As I mentioned, this would mostly for emergency use when there was no cell signal. And maybe to hear the truckers talking about my dog in the sidecar going by them,,,lol.
<...>
The numbers of people using CB are fewer and fewer for obvious reasons. It may be different where you are, but out here in the wilds of the west...it's rare. With the recent addition of FM modulation now being legal in the US (a change a couple of decades too late, IMO), it's even more of a challenge to know if there's anybody out there listening on CB, to be fair. I really don't think it's like the olden days where 6 out of 10 trucks have an antenna mounted, which would mean, there's a chance they have a radio turned on to assist.

Slightly diverting from the topic at hand...with an iOS device (hopefully, it's recent), look into the "Emergency SOS via satellite" availability on late-model iPhones. I'm a hard-and-fast Android user myself, and a similar system is coming out later this year. It may be almost as good as a dedicated emergency device like a SPOT or other devices now on the market.

Luck to ya in getting things sorted out!
jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
1979 Honda CM400T
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

Quick Cal wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:49 am My 96 1500 has the oem cb. But there's no helmet or mic. Is there a way to hook up just a hand held mic for emergency use. Like if I broke down and there was no cell service? Or it would be ok too if I could get bear reports while going down the highway.

I do have a cardo talkback slim. Could the cb be made to work with that some kind of magic,,,,lol.

Thanks
Possibly, I have a SENA FreeWire that plugs into the headset cord on my 95. That said, I also use the SENA 10s headset. I've been told "in theory" that the Cardo should connect. I've never tried it, as I don't have the cash lying around to test.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

jbaviera wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:28 pm Possibly, I have a SENA FreeWire that plugs into the headset cord on my 95. That said, I also use the SENA 10s headset. I've been told "in theory" that the Cardo should connect. I've never tried it, as I don't have the cash lying around to test.
A Sena Freewire cannot communicate with a Cardo headset. Period.

Personally, I believe the cause is that the Bluetooth Device Address (sometimes referred to as a Bluetooth MAC address), a unique 48-bit identifier assigned to each Bluetooth device by the manufacturer (in the Freewire), is limited to Sena MAC addresses only.

Unless you or someone you know has the capability of editing the Freewire firmware to ignore this...it ain't gonna happen. :/
eightball1013
Motorcycle: 1998 Gl1500 SE

Post by eightball1013 »

I don't see why You can't just buy a dynamic microphone and a din plug. RoadPro TM-2002 4-Pin Dynamic CB Microphone, Black https://a.co/d/if5ijVA. All the pin outs for Honda din are on this website. You just use onboard speakers wire in only the mic.
eightball1013
Motorcycle: 1998 Gl1500 SE

Post by eightball1013 »

Looks like just need to wire mic into pin 1 and 2. Pin one is mic in, and pin 2 is mic ground. You may have to put a rubber band around the mic key, bc gl1500 have the hand control, or just modify the mic to bypass the switch.
jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
1979 Honda CM400T
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

kwthom wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:08 pm
jbaviera wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:28 pm Possibly, I have a SENA FreeWire that plugs into the headset cord on my 95. That said, I also use the SENA 10s headset. I've been told "in theory" that the Cardo should connect. I've never tried it, as I don't have the cash lying around to test.
A Sena Freewire cannot communicate with a Cardo headset. Period.

Personally, I believe the cause is that the Bluetooth Device Address (sometimes referred to as a Bluetooth MAC address), a unique 48-bit identifier assigned to each Bluetooth device by the manufacturer (in the Freewire), is limited to Sena MAC addresses only.

Unless you or someone you know has the capability of editing the Freewire firmware to ignore this...it ain't gonna happen. :/
I don't know about "period", but I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct about the mac addresses (or even a different "bit" identifier) and that could be the limiting structure.
I wonder too if a SENA headset paired to the FreeWire and a Cardo would work, with the SENA HS being a "pass-through"? I may have to find a cheap, used Cardo to try it with... someday!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

eightball1013 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:16 pm I don't see why You can't just buy a dynamic microphone and a din plug. RoadPro TM-2002 4-Pin Dynamic CB Microphone, Black https://a.co/d/if5ijVA. All the pin outs for Honda din are on this website. You just use onboard speakers wire in only the mic.
eightball1013 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:20 pm Looks like just need to wire mic into pin 1 and 2. Pin one is mic in, and pin 2 is mic ground. You may have to put a rubber band around the mic key, bc gl1500 have the hand control, or just modify the mic to bypass the switch.
It'd certainly be stationary-use only, since it'll be a challenge to try and hold the microphone *and* key the switch on the left handlebar at the same time one is riding down the road.

Talk about distracted operation of a motorcycle...
jbaviera wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:29 pm <...>
I don't know about "period", but I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct about the mac addresses (or even a different "bit" identifier) and that could be the limiting structure.
It's been attempted - more than once, and discussed in depth elsewhere.