Very strong oil smell

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NJViking
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Very strong oil smell

Post by NJViking »

Greetings all,
Just got home from my first real ride on this bike, and have found a number of issues that I'd like to address one at a time.
1. A VERY strong smell of engine oil when the engine is at temperature. I do not believe it is coming from the exhaust. It is so strong that it permeates my clothing, stinks up my garage and lingers in my nose. Any thoughts?
1999 GL1500SE, 51,000 miles

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Very strong oil smell

Post by Rambozo »

Probably time to look for leaks. Especially leaks that let oil drip on the exhaust. What is the bike's history? Long periods without running tend to take out the valve seals. The side stand makes that worse.
NJViking

Post by NJViking »

Thanks for the reply. I bought the bike from a dealer who replaced the shifter oil seal. I then installed the aftermarket shifter shaft support. There is no external sign of a leak.

I would imagine that a bad valve seal would result in only the exhaust smelling, and mainly when first starting. Is this true?

If I understand correctly, the only engine breather is connected to the airbox. So if everything is hooked up correctly, I should never smell oil from the breather. Is this true?

So, that leaves two possibilities:
  • Something is amiss with the breather system - maybe a disconnected or cracked hose.
  • A leak that is small enough to not exit the bike, but at the same time large enough, or like you suggest, leaking right onto the exhaust.
John K
Motorcycle: 58 MZ BK350
71 Sporty
98 GoldWing SE
04 Wide Glide
Former bikes
305 Honda
750 Honda

Post by John K »

Lars,

You have got me thinking and yes it hurts.

I have been looking in my book with pictures and lots of words
I never heard of the crankcase breather storage tank breaking or cracking by anyone on this website
I have never even gone looking for it on my Wing.

With the plug in the crankcase breather tube I don't believe oil could escape

As Rambozo said there must be a leak
Attachments

John K
NJViking

Post by NJViking »

Is there an EGR valve anywhere?

I guess I'll have to check for a leak, although I hate removing those bottom pans.