Engine shut down on highway

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Sonnemann83
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Engine shut down on highway

Post by Sonnemann83 »

Hey Everybody,
I am new to the forum so please bear with me as I learn the ropes. I have a 1998 GL1500SE. I was riding on a county highway the other day. I was running 60 mph. The engine stopped. I slowed it way down an tried popping the clutch in 1st gear as it were. Nothing. I got off the road. I had dash lights as well as headlights and tail lights. The starter would not work. It would dim the head light when the start button was depressed, but nothing would happen. Battery was good. I was about 10 miles from home so I trailered it home. When I got home. I tried it and it turned over but abrubtly stopped. Then, I had the non responsive starter issue again. I was descending a slight down grade so I wondered about the bank angle sensor or perhaps something in the ignition circuit. Has anybody else had this issue? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Engine shut down on highway

Post by Rambozo »

Check the kill switch.
If the BAS is tripped it requires the key to be cycled to reset.
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Check the kill switch. I had this problem with my 92 GL1500 and it would start back up after getting back to neutral. I found that my clutch switch was not working so, I replaced the clutch switch and still had the problem of stopping on the road. I accidentally touched the kill switch one day while idling and it shut down. The reason for my problem was a dirty kill switch. After cleaning the switch, I had no more trouble. For a while after getting the clutch switch replaced, I found that when it quit on me, I could just pull the clutch in and restart without even slowing down. Hope you find the problem. Let us know what you find.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
diecast collector
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Gold Wing level 2

Post by diecast collector »

Check for failed alternator.
rider1939
Motorcycle: 2000 1500SE
1995 GL1500SE - parts bike
1979 GL1000 - NAKED
1994 HONDA VFR
1974 DUCATI GT 750
1978 DUCATI GTS900
1978 DUCATI DARMAH
DUDA = DUCATI 500 FRAME WITH HONDA CB500 MOTOR
MT3 = MOTO GUZZI POWERED 3 WHEELER

Post by rider1939 »

I wouldn't rule out the battery.

Be sure to let us know what solves the problem.
Sonnemann83
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by Sonnemann83 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am digging into it this week. I am a maintenance tech and things are crazy at the plant. Will post more as I get into it.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Sonnemann83 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:09 am Hey Everybody,
I am new to the forum so please bear with me as I learn the ropes. I have a 1998 GL1500SE. I was riding on a county highway the other day. I was running 60 mph. The engine stopped. I slowed it way down an tried popping the clutch in 1st gear as it were. Nothing. I got off the road. I had dash lights as well as headlights and tail lights. The starter would not work. It would dim the head light when the start button was depressed, but nothing would happen. Battery was good. I was about 10 miles from home so I trailered it home. When I got home. I tried it and it turned over but abrubtly stopped. Then, I had the non responsive starter issue again. I was descending a slight down grade so I wondered about the bank angle sensor or perhaps something in the ignition circuit. Has anybody else had this issue? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I would be willing to put money on it being the kill switch. The wires can come loose inside the right handlebar quadrant and it can be as simple as tightening a small screw or two in there. Or maybe cleaning the the switch contacts can take care of it.

The reason I'd bet on the kill switch is from 1998 on, when the kill switch is in anything but the run position, the starter motor will not turn and all the dash lights look normal. A loose or disconnected wire for the kill switch will give you the same symptoms. And, the headlight will still go out when you press the start button since it is switched off any time you press the start button. There is a separate set of contacts in the start button switch that turns off the headlight.

Prior to 1998, with the kill switch in any position the starter would still rotate but the bike would not start and run unless the switch was i the run position.

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA