FIX? Random idle surging.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
FM-USA
Motorcycle: 91-i

FIX? Random idle surging.

Post by FM-USA »

Old PITA surging, possible fix for GL1500s.
This fix did it for me & it's idling normal. No more 'Golf-T' temp fix.
HOPE THIS FIX HELPS YOU.
POST HERE IF IT DOES.

A.) Engine OFF.
B.) In the fuel door, (counter clockwise) unscrew idle knob JUST 2 turns. NONE MORE.
C.) Raise the throttle then let go so it bottoms out on its own "3 TIMES". (can bottom it manually)
D.) START engine with no throttle, it'll low rev due to partial flooding. Let die then turn OFF key.
E.) Repeat 'C' then turn idle knob clockwise 2 turns plus a 1/4 turn.
F.) START & let run for several seconds (clears excess fuel).
G.) Return idle to 750-800 RPMs (or your preference).

I took 2 full weeks to be sure this wasn't a fluke. I even raised & lowered the idle to try & return the surge, didn't. But it took a little while for the idle to settle in it's new position. Probably moving the dirt(?) around on the throttle valve (plate) & its shafts, unknown since I didn't dissect it.
But It's been purring like a kitten since. In 5th gear I can run speed down to 15 mph and it smoothly accelerates without an issue. Couldn't do this with that surging issue.
Also my fuel mileage went from 38/40-ish to 45-ish, no doubt from surging & throttle blipping to lower the RPMs.
Riding 2-up, once nearly 51 mpg with zero winds. _ ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘ HOO-AHH!!!

BTW: All this was before changing spark plugs from 30k miles standard NGK's to new NGK Iridium's #7803

ENJOY (hopefully)

When I do one thing, I'll sidestep a little & learn many things.
Bonnie and Clyde
Motorcycle: 1999 SE, 1998 Kawi Xii, KTM 950 SE, KTM ecx300

Re: FIX? Random idle surging.

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

A couple few questions.

How many miles on your bike?

How long since you cleaned or pulled the carbs for a clean?

What speed are getting 50mpg?

Hotter iridium plugs maybe helping burn better?
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Bonnie and Clyde wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:49 am A couple few questions.

250K plus

I've never had an issue until "suddenly" they clogged up with white powder from unknown source. System is pristine clean. I finally bought a wonderful toy, borescope & looked inside the tank for foreigners ๐Ÿ™„ . Also I'll be posting about my carbs and what I do at fill-ups in a week or so.

Never over 2750 RPM's is my main max speed for good MPG's, otherwise it's around 50 mph on mostly 50-50 straight/curvy empty back roads. Just yesterday I hit 50.66 mpg, but that was 12-ish mph tailwind & riding 1-up. That return ride was 48-ish mpg.
Highway is around 44-45 MPG at 2-up riding. Oddly 42-ish 1-up riding. Another thing, the rough surface in the lanes middle eats up a little fuel. Found that out down in Texas (a loooong boring flat road) when traveling with a throttle lock at 60 mph. On worn surface then moved to the rough center & lost 7 mph. WOW!!! OH, that was on my 1977 XS1100 in the 1980's

Unknown on temp, The 7803 is NGK's equivalent to stock. I bought & do close the gap 3-ish thousands mainly for longevity but surely that narrower gap is hotter. I also have my trick I do to the plugs that actually makes a difference. Might have seen that on the other Wing site, which was posted well over a doz years ago.
Hope that helps.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Just a few more mileage figures since eliminating the surging.
Most times are 2-up riding, except where noted.
45.279 (windy day & 1-up)
50.668 (1-up)
These are variable since I don't ride the same roads and the winds seem to be hanging around more this year.
My tank refills are on the side-stand & when the vent bubbles stop, I stop filling. It's my way of staying rather consistent at refills.

Bonnie and Clyde
Motorcycle: 1999 SE, 1998 Kawi Xii, KTM 950 SE, KTM ecx300

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

FM-USA wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:12 am
Bonnie and Clyde wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:49 am A couple few questions.

250K plus

I've never had an issue until "suddenly" they clogged up with white powder from unknown source. System is pristine clean. I finally bought a wonderful toy, borescope & looked inside the tank for foreigners ๐Ÿ™„ . Also I'll be posting about my carbs and what I do at fill-ups in a week or so. Cruise control or carb foam filters? Those little black pods that have foam in them and eventually fall apart?

Never over 2750 RPM's is my main max speed for good MPG's, otherwise it's around 50 mph on mostly 50-50 straight/curvy empty back roads. Just yesterday I hit 50.66 mpg, but that was 12-ish mph tailwind & riding 1-up. That return ride was 48-ish mpg.
Highway is around 44-45 MPG at 2-up riding. Oddly 42-ish 1-up riding. Another thing, the rough surface in the lanes middle eats up a little fuel. Found that out down in Texas (a loooong boring flat road) when traveling with a throttle lock at 60 mph. On worn surface then moved to the rough center & lost 7 mph. WOW!!! OH, that was on my 1977 XS1100 in the 1980's
Ya i cant travel that speed but Im sure that helps with MPG

Unknown on temp, The 7803 is NGK's equivalent to stock. I bought & do close the gap 3-ish thousands mainly for longevity but surely that narrower gap is hotter. I also have my trick I do to the plugs that actually makes a difference. Might have seen that on the other Wing site, which was posted well over a doz years ago.
Hope that helps.
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Bonnie and Clyde wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 pm Cruise control or carb foam filters? Those little black pods that have foam in them and eventually fall apart?
I prefer the 'Throttle Lock' and I customize how it works.
Never liked the vacuum Cruise Control. At odd times those go crazy fast at unexpected moments. Rented a early 2000s Pontiac with it. Entering the expressway ramp suddenly IT decided to go full throttle. Nothing would shut it off except turning off the ignition key.

Stock intake air filter. I use carb or brake clean spray with compressed air to freshen up that rather expensive filter. Works for 3 or 5 cleanings.
Sub-filters, those little square ones, I found a sheet of it in one of my PC Board's purchase. It's exactly the same stuff, inc color.
Want a piece? FREE with $100 shipping. :twisted: (Kidding)
ALSO in a pinch, house vacuum cleaner bags can be cut a little larger than those pods filter space. Crumple them good then loosely open'm, re-trim for snug fit. If I remember (16+ years ago?) it takes 5 or 6 layers. Works just as good, possibly better since that foam is rather porous.