GL1500 Fouling Plugs

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
DJPrototypikal
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold Wing 1500 SE

GL1500 Fouling Plugs

Post by DJPrototypikal »

My plugs foul very quickly. Would this likely be a spark plug/wire problem or a carb tuning issue? Thanks.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: GL1500 Fouling Plugs

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Sounds something like the problem I had with my 92 Goldwing. I kept having to replace the spark plugs pretty often because theyd would foul out. After a year or more of that problem one of the three ignition coils went out and it was only running on four cylinders. I replaced all three coils and never had that problem again. I replaced all three because they are hard to get to and the other two were as old as the bad one and I did not want to do that job again. I also replaced all six plug wires. I used all OEM coils and wires because I purchased some aftermarket coils with wires but I couldn't get the original plug boots off the old wires and new ones weren't available.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
DJPrototypikal
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold Wing 1500 SE

Post by DJPrototypikal »

Makes sense. Thanks

How long did it take you to do the coil replacement?
bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by bbrackett »

I had an issue with mine where it would misfire and darken the plugs and smelled gas while running, it sounded like it was running on 3cyl at idle, run better over 2k, but still felt a misfire
I had rebuilt the carbs, replaced plugs multiple times, replaced one coil, and tried Plat tip plugs.. none resolved the issue

when I changed my belts @ 55k since PO did it.. I found small amount of filings on the mag pickups for the timing, I cleaned that up and no more misfire..
old girl runs even more awesome now and I picked up a few more MPGs !!

easy to do this.. easier than most people think
I had both lower covers off
took off my left crash bar
take off the center inspection cover (allows you to slide the left cover out without removing the RAD hose !!)
then remove left main timing cover and you can get to both pickups (slides out without removing RH Crash Bar)
I did remove the right cover because I was removing the belts

I removed the RH tensioner to remove the right belt, but only loosened the LH tensioner to remove the left belt
when I slid them on, I sprayed some WD40 on the cam gear

besure the engine is cold
remove plugs
turn engine to proper position to align timing marks, just to be sure there is no movement when you reinstall