Speedometer issues

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
blackbeltbacon
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Speedometer issues

Post by blackbeltbacon »

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I've dug through as much as I could to try to find a previous thread that involved a similar issue with no luck. My speedometer quit working on my '98 GL1500 Aspencade a while back. I have replaced both the gear box and the cable, and I've tested the speedometer with a screwdriver and it's working fine, but after replacing the gear box and the cable, it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? Any help is appreciated.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE White

Re: Speedometer issues

Post by wilmo »

I also have a thread with my speedo similar but mine is intermittent. My cable and drive are fine as the odo still works as well as the signal cancel. I believe our issue has to do with the speed pulse generator in the cluster. Or somewhere in the electrical connections involved. Look in this forum for the 2 active threads that are similar to this. I bought a gps unit that reads out my speed until I get around to tracing all that out.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: 91-i

Re: Speedometer issues

Post by FM-USA »

blackbeltbacon wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:32 pm . . . I have replaced both the gear box and the cable, and I've tested the speedometer with a screwdriver and it's working fine, but after replacing the gear box and the cable, it still doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? Any help is appreciated.
I bought a new cable, installed & tested.
Did the same as yours, found the internal cable was 1/2 " short.
If you still have your old one, side by side compare.
If old cable is good insert it, less hassle than getting refund/exchange. Brake Clean B4 inserting.

When I do one thing, I'll sidestep a little & learn many things.