"Must buy" GL1500 parts

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Yorick1026
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

"Must buy" GL1500 parts

Post by Yorick1026 »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to Goldwings. Recently bought a 93 SE. After a horrible experience with a local Honda shop (long story), and after some research I have accepted that I have just become a motorcycle mechanic! Thankfully I found this forum and some FB pages that have eased my fear and apprehension in taking all that on. Now I'm just nervous about learning to ride the beast well. =) Anyway, my question to all those that have gone before me is what parts should I just buy if I see them for sale regardless of whether or not I need said part at the moment?

Thanks! I really do appreciate the forum, has saved me tons of time and frustration already.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: "Must buy" GL1500 parts

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

Bear in mind that your bike is an antique and is older than the mechanics at the Honda dealer. I suggest you work your way through the How-To pages. While not impossible to find, the timing belts, driveshaft/final drive lube/seals/O-rings are must do now items. The u-joint, if needed can be one from the Valkyrie along with its boot. Fork seals fit many Honda models and only use Honda parts. Always change the bushings when you do the seals. Brake pads are usually easy to find but I would have a set on hand anyway. Probably an alternator as well.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
DragonRdr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I Interstate
2000 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate

Post by DragonRdr »

To true about local Honda dealers. My local shop refuses to work on anything over 20 years old. I did find a guy about 50 miles north of me that will still work on the older GL1500s. For the stuff I can do myself I have found that Cyclemax is a good source for GL1500 parts. https://cyclemax.com/collections/gl1500

I'm dreading the day I finally have to retire my 94 Goldwing and my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate because I can't get parts or find a mechanic to work on them. :cry:
Yorick1026

Post by Yorick1026 »

DragonRdr wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:16 pm To true about local Honda dealers. My local shop refuses to work on anything over 20 years old. I did find a guy about 50 miles north of me that will still work on the older GL1500s. For the stuff I can do myself I have found that Cyclemax is a good source for GL1500 parts. https://cyclemax.com/collections/gl1500

I'm dreading the day I finally have to retire my 94 Goldwing and my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate because I can't get parts or find a mechanic to work on them. :cry:
I called the Honda shop the day I bought the bike and asked if they could do an oil/filter change, air cleaner change, bleed brakes, and check battery. Service advisor said "no problem" and scheduled it. When I rode it in the service manager told me the bit about not working on bikes over 20 years old but said since the advisor said yes they'd do it. I came back a week later to pick it up (won't tell you what they charged me) and the bike wouldn't run. They said it was probably dirty carbs/stuck float but that they were done with it. I paid to trailer it home and decided to start tearing it down to the carbs. This picture is what I found when I pulled the air cleaner off!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Yorick1026 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:59 pm
DragonRdr wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:16 pm To true about local Honda dealers. My local shop refuses to work on anything over 20 years old. I did find a guy about 50 miles north of me that will still work on the older GL1500s. For the stuff I can do myself I have found that Cyclemax is a good source for GL1500 parts. https://cyclemax.com/collections/gl1500

I called the Honda shop the day I bought the bike and asked if they could do an oil/filter change, air cleaner change, bleed brakes, and check battery. Service advisor said "no problem" and scheduled it. When I rode it in the service manager told me the bit about not working on bikes over 20 years old but said since the advisor said yes they'd do it. I came back a week later to pick it up (won't tell you what they charged me) and the bike wouldn't run. They said it was probably dirty carbs/stuck float but that they were done with it. I paid to trailer it home and decided to start tearing it down to the carbs. This picture is what I found when I pulled the air cleaner off!
IMG_1391.jpg
My God Yorick. I'm in Tacoma too. You need to tell the dealer what you found. If for no other reason but to rub their noses in it. Was it the Tacoma Honda Dealer? Personally I do not use them for anything but parts. If I need something done, which is almost never since I do my own work, I go to the dealer in Olympia. A very reputable shop. I've known the owners for about 20 years.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Yorick1026

Post by Yorick1026 »

Yes, it’s the Tacoma shop. I rode the bike back and showed them the picture. Needless to say I got some money back. The tech was beside himself embarrassed. I had some service records from the previous owner and it turns out that they worked on it in 2015 (still more than 20 years old for the record) and it was the same tech then that left the rags in the carb! They also charged 1 hour of labor for the air cleaner in 2015 and 3 hours in 2024, I’m not the brightest bulb but I’m pretty sure inflation doesn’t affect time! 🤣 I’ll keep the shop down south in mind, thanks! Nice to see someone on here from Tacoma!
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Welcome! Happy to read your learning to do it yourself!
The service tutorials here are the best, if your can follow instruction and handle a combination wrench you'll be able a to work on your bike, , no problem!
Enjoy.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

If I can help down the road let me know.

Since that Tacoma shop was sold several years ago, I have not been impressed. The former owners of the shop also own the shop down in olympia. At one time they owned both shops. They are much nicer more professional and ethical group to work with. The best Gold Wing mechanic I ever met is part owner. He is retired now but his son was working there the last I checked. He is just as good from what I hear.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:31 pm

IMG_1391.jpg
My God Yorick. I'm in Tacoma too. You need to tell the dealer what you found. If for no other reason but to rub their noses in it. Was it the Tacoma Honda Dealer? Personally I do not use them for anything but parts. If I need something done, which is almost never since I do my own work, I go to the dealer in Olympia. A very reputable shop. I've known the owners for about 20 years.
Yorick,Welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry to hear you had troubles with the Honda Dealership. I agree you should let them know what they did and firmly request that they compensate you for their mistake. Personally I have NEVER come away from a dealership feeling like I was treated fairly. ANY dealership, cars and motorcycles alike.
I understand that you may feel overwhelmed by the thought of doing all your own work, but rest assured that you will have good support from the forum members.
I was in the same boat as you when I bought my '93 SE too. All I knew about Goldwings is that I wanted to own one. LOL,It didn't take me long to question that decision. I have always done 95% of my own work. The only reason I ever take anything to the shop is if I don't have expensive the tooling,space or equipment to do some procedures.
Long story short I did EVERYTHING to my SE with help from the forum. I even changed my engine because of transmission issues.
Speaking of transmissions issues, Put a shifter brace on as soon as you can. Honda could have done a better job on that. You will have a leaky shifter shat seal at least. I hope you don't have the shift fork issue inside the transmission. That's what made me change out my engine.
Sounds like you have some service records though, good job there! I got nothing with my bike. Everything I looked at lead me to three more things to fix! I think the guy at the DMV said I was the sixth owner and the bike had lived in a couple of other states. It was a fixer upper for sure.
Timing belts brakes tires and fluids.....everything else is a lower priority.
Good Luck to you Yorick! Let the adventure begin!

ACN
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:31 pm

IMG_1391.jpg
Yorick,Welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry to hear you had troubles with the Honda Dealership. I agree you should let them know what they did and firmly request that they compensate you for their mistake. Personally I have NEVER come away from a dealership feeling like I was treated fairly. ANY dealership, cars and motorcycles alike.
I understand that you may feel overwhelmed by the thought of doing all your own work, but rest assured that you will have good support from the forum members.
I was in the same boat as you when I bought my '93 SE too. All I knew about Goldwings is that I wanted to own one. LOL,It didn't take me long to question that decision. I have always done 95% of my own work. The only reason I ever take anything to the shop is if I don't have expensive the tooling,space or equipment to do some procedures.
Long story short I did EVERYTHING to my SE with help from the forum. I even changed my engine because of transmission issues.
Speaking of transmissions issues, Put a shifter brace on as soon as you can. Honda could have done a better job on that. You will have a leaky shifter shat seal at least. I hope you don't have the shift fork issue inside the transmission. That's what made me change out my engine.
Sounds like you have some service records though, good job there! I got nothing with my bike. Everything I looked at lead me to three more things to fix! I think the guy at the DMV said I was the sixth owner and the bike had lived in a couple of other states. It was a fixer upper for sure.
Timing belts brakes tires and fluids.....everything else is a lower priority.
Good Luck to you Yorick! Let the adventure begin!

ACN
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
Heikoho
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Heikoho »

Hi, I'm from Germany and own a 1500 built in 1988.
The issue with spare parts is just as bad and expensive here in Germany.
However, I found a company in the Netherlands that sells a lot of spare parts (used and new), and I think the prices are reasonably good.
Biker's Best (https://goldwing.nl/en/)
Maybe that would be something for you too, only shipping would be more expensive.
Otherwise, I repair all the plastic parts myself (fiberglass and resin)

Best wishes from Germany,

Heiko
FM-USA
Motorcycle: 91-i

Post by FM-USA »

20 year old kid worked on your bike?
Look on the bright side of the situation, the rags showed he was careful where he was working.

When I do one thing, I'll sidestep a little & learn many things.