Clutch damage?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rane
Motorcycle: 1995 gl1500A Aspencade

Clutch damage?

Post by Rane »

Hello, So I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder last year along with related seals and everything. I followed the Goldwing Docs video on YouTube. Six months later, fluid is empty. I rode it home, having to shut off the bike at lights since clutch wouldn't engag.e . Someone mentioned that the SC was from a 1200 when I asked before about it (see previous post). I'm only hoping that I didn't tighten something and it leaked the fluid. A day prior to the failure I noticed there was squeaking during the last uses of the clutch. After taking the slave off and inspecting I noticed nothing new. Please say everything is ok.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Clutch damage?

Post by Rambozo »

Time to look around for leaks. If there are none, pull the slave and check it. Is the weep hole clear?
Rane

Post by Rane »

Did that and couldn't find leak source but maybe I'll work on it today and discover something. I'm just hoping the clutch survived since I had to shift gears on a 10- mile ride without clutch function. I'm definitely not doing that big job if needed.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: 91-i

Post by FM-USA »

I had the misfortune of clutch slave go out, was able to ride it 25-ish miles home without damage. You should be good.

Pull your dipstick out and put a drop on a vertical surface next to a drop of the same oil.
Hopefully both will flow at near the same rate. if not, just might have brake fluid in your oil.

I've read where the weep hole is the only place that sees liquid, everywhere else is dry. Gives you the misnomer that there's no leak.
Not many places for fluid to drip that won't show on the bike. Neighbors in good standing???

That 25+ mile ride, no clutch... Most was open roads without stop signs & traffic lights, country riding has perks. Near home once had to do an emergency U turn on a 4 lane busy road. Glad the oncoming drivers seen my FRANTIC flashing headlight, they slowed for me. :shock: I was riding 2-UP. Definitely a mind bender trying to time the dozen+ traffic lights nearing evening rush hour.

When I do one thing, I'll sidestep a little & learn many things.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Riding without the use of the clutch won't hurt the clutch at all. Back in the days of clutch cables, I've lost track of the times I've broken a cable and had to ride sans clutch. Good thing bikes back then didn't have so many safety features. I would just start it in gear then kill the engine if I needed to stop. Even done the same with a few cars.
beantricks
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by beantricks »

Spare cable has been tucked somewhere on every bike since ‘81 Randolph air force base rider’s Texas 300. Rode half the rally and all way home to Houston next day with Rambozo’s hack method on ‘78 Wing.
Rane

Post by Rane »

Ok now I've filled the reservoir 5 times after bleeding with the pump. Of course several fills in I emptied it while bleeding. It's not tightening. How many more times should I do this? For tonight, I'll just zip tie the handle and try later. It must be a lot of air. I must add the fact that I noticed some drips from the banjo bolt so I tightened more. I put the same washers on after noticing no wear. Thanks to all of you for your input.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The washers don't wear, they are crushed by the clamping force. That is why they are only for a single use. Since the bolts are hollow it is very easy to over tighten them chasing a leak and stretch the bolt. The clutch is typically easy to fill and bleed. You might have some other issue. Are you getting good fluid flow out of the bleeder?
Rane

Post by Rane »

Flow is has bubbles and looks foamy in the pump line at times, but it's a steady flow.
Rane

Post by Rane »

Ok. Got the tightness back. Just realized that it's tight when you close the bleeder. Now I got a good battery but the starter won't engage. I'll research that and start a new post eventually.