I need help with a crank no start.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ericdaniels74
Motorcycle: 2000 honda gl 1500 se

I need help with a crank no start.

Post by Ericdaniels74 »

Hello everyone. So I have a friend that inherited a 2000 gl 1500 se. He is not super mechanically inclined. And I am currently over 400 miles from him and the bike. So I have been trying to diagnose the bikes issues without actually seeing it. And pretty much do not know a thing about the mechanics of goldwings. So after cleaning the tank putting in a new fuel pump. And temporarily wiring tgat fuel pump to where he has to hook it up before he tries to start it. He says tgat tge original wiring to the pump has low voltage abs won't run the pump. But he can wire it straight to tge battery for testing purposes. And it will run the pump just fine. He also says that he's not getting any spark from any of the plug wires. He says that when he touches a test light to either terminal on all of the coils that his test light is consistent constant so both terminals on every coil are hot. Even while turning the engine over. I do not know if this bike gets it's signal from points or ecm or what. I would appreciate any advise I could get here.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: I need help with a crank no start.

Post by Rambozo »

The fuel pump gets its power from the ECM. The output transistor that does this can go bad, but that typically happens with a locked up fuel pump. The much more common issue is that the 1500 requires a tip top perfect condition battery. While it will crank over just fine at 10 volts, there will be no spark below 11 volts or so. And even if the battery shows 12 volts while cranking, it might be only 10.5 or less if measured at the coils or ECM due to bad connectors and such. So that would be the first thing to check. You can often tell this is happening if the bike only starts when you release the starter button.
Ericdaniels74
Motorcycle: 2000 honda gl 1500 se

Re: I need help with a crank no start.

Post by Ericdaniels74 »

Thanks Rambozo. The thermistor will be next on the list to replace then. Because the bike sat for so long that everything in the fuel system was straight varnish. He did replace the pump. So he should be good to go after the thermistor hopefully. And I will let him know about the voltage thing and the no spark. I do not have a book on the bike yet. And I can find very little on this bike online. Would you happen to know the cylender order? So he can make sure the plug wires are on the right hole?