GL1500 Cruise Control Wiring

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dbdataplus
Motorcycle: gl1500

GL1500 Cruise Control Wiring

Post by dbdataplus »

I have 1993 GL1500 Aspencade and while on a trip, the Cruise Control stopped working. It would turn "on" and the "on" indicator would come on but the "Set/Decel" button would not engage. I rode for about 100 miles and then it worked. Like it had been affected by the cold. Then after we shut down for fuel it would not engage again. I worked with the switch for a while (the technical, engineering term is "fiddled with it") and then it engaged and everything was fine until we stopped again and shut down again and when I started again it would not engage regardless of my fiddling. *SO* I worked/fiddled with the wiring harness itself (again for those of you with electrical engineering degrees, I "wiggled it") -- and it engaged!!!

Then the next day it would not engage and no amount of fiddling, wiggling (or yelling at it) would do anything.

Now flash back to two years ago -- when the radio station tuner wouldn't work and I contacted Sierra Electronics about sending the radio in and he told me that it's usually a broken ground wire in that harness - he even told me the color - and said run a new wire from the switch to the connector behind the Left Side fan. I did and it worked!

So today I took the Right side apart, hoping to find a similar separated wire in the harness. The "Set/Decel is a momentary switch connecting White/Yellow and Black/Yellow. I have the harness and switch out, I have the switch taped down and a continuity tester on the lower connectors and I can swing, wiggle, flex, drag, bend, whip, smash, poke, pull, push and (insert every action here) and the connection tests just fine.

Does anyone recall anything these models were "prone to" back in the day? Something that I should hang my hopes on?

Thanks.

PS: I'm even open to incantations, spells or superstition.

JATJ1081
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: GL1500 Cruise Control Wiring

Post by JATJ1081 »

My 93 Aspencade was doing that until I pushed my clutch and front brake levers away from the bars. The switches that turn off the cruise were getting dirty and the levers would not allow them to fully release.
Hope that makes sense.
dbdataplus
Motorcycle: gl1500

Post by dbdataplus »

Thanks!
It makes sense AND could very easily be the problem!!!
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Those symptoms are almost always one of the safety cancel switches. If you search here there are many topics that cover how to test them and all the things that go wrong. Many are not even electrical like there is a clutch lever bushing that often gets worn due to lack of lube.
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

The switch contacts get dirty both ON/OFF and momentary causing resistance and might show 12V but it will not pass the amperage needed to engage the unit. I would give odds if the switch were replaced all would be well again.

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do