Steering stem bearing change. I don't have enough slack in the wires

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1996 1500 Goldwing, CSC sidecar

Steering stem bearing change. I don't have enough slack in the wires

Post by Quick Cal »

I'm following Scott's write up. Right off the bat I'm hung up. Literately. There is not enough slack in the wires going to the turn signal canceler. It's factory cable tied in many places where it goes up behind the instrument cluster. I do not want to pull that cluster.

I'm tempted to cut the wires and splice in some longer ones. Got a better idea? Thanks.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Steering stem bearing change. I don't have enough slack in the wires

Post by Rambozo »

That has come up a few times before. I would vote no on cutting, that's a hack maneuver, Bubba would do. If you search here you can find where you have to go to get some slack. It's not easy but it is doable.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Overall I would go with what Rambozo has said about not doing any "creative engineering" on a repair but sometimes it can be done if you are up to reengineering it properly. I for one got tired of trying to get the slack needed in those wires and since I had a supply of doner wires and connectors (believe it or not, those wire connectors are sort of standard , I got mine from old Chinese scooters!) I made a short harness extension and with that extra length was able r/r the cancel switch easily.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by gford »

There's enough slack in the wires, start by removing the clamps that hold the wire and you will get enough slack that it will come out the bottom of the steering stem
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

I pulled too hard on the cancel switch and it came unplugged. The remaining plug up in the steering stem is roughly 6'' short of coming out of the bottom. But I was able to get the triple trees out. This gave me a better look at the routing of the wires. They are all zip tied tight together. I can see where this needed wire goes off to the left side fairing pocket area. Hopefully that's where my slack will be found and it was just installed incorrectly from the factory.

Here's mine.

Here's the rest of the wire that I need to find where the brown plug connects. Any ideas what I have to remove?

Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

I pulled the side pocket out. It's farther below that opening. It's going to be in the cornering light area I think. I'll have to remove the side marker light and lower fairing to find it.