Engine reinstall after 3 years of extraction from frame

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Huntersbane
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Engine reinstall after 3 years of extraction from frame

Post by Huntersbane »

Hi all

Been a long time since I have posted.

Question re wiring.
After I had the 1500SE engine rebuilt a moved abroad for three years, and decided to get the lump running again.

Engine is now back in the frame with Start, Alt and heads all reinstalled.

My question is "From the front of the engine out of the wiring loom I have 3 (very thin wires about 4ins long) pink, white, and either dark green or black just hanging going nowhere, with no connectors on the ends????')

After 3 years I can't remember a( if they are needed and if they do, I can't remember what the hell they are used for... any Ideas would be greatly accepted.

Cheers ( Huntersbane)

AceCycleNut
Motorcycle: '93 GL1500SE
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Re: Engine reinstall after 3 years of extraction from frame

Post by AceCycleNut »

Not sure if these are what you are talking about? Different colors?

One is the temp sensor in the thermostat housing and the others are for the fan switch on the left radiator.

If those aren't the wires in question I can show the rest of them to you for another guess. I have that old engine just parked under the bench. The wire harness is still on it.

ANC
Did you ever stop to think? :idea: And forget to start again? :roll:
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Can't help on wire identification but would really enjoy any pics and input as you reinstall. Good luck on a smooth assembly.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
Huntersbane

Post by Huntersbane »

AceCycleNut wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:51 pm Not sure if these are what you are talking about? Different colors?

IMG_0472.JPG

One is the temp sensor in the thermostat housing and the others are for the fan switch on the left radiator.

If those aren't the wires in question I can show the rest of them to you for another guess. I have that old engine just parked under the bench. The wire harness is s till on it.

ANC
Cheers thanks for that I shall take a look...
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

I went back and looked through your previous posts to see what you are getting up to. I had the same transmission problem with my '93 SE. IF I had better facilities to work in,I would have preferred to rebuild my original engine (the one now residing under my workbench). Instead I went with a 2000 model salvage engine with unknown mileage. I went for it because it had 200+ pounds of compression on all cylinders. I got lucky and I got a sound engine aside from the broken timing belt cover,left belt pulley and the valve cover having a hole punched in it. It cleaned up nicely. I wish I had taken more pictures! I never realized that they could be so helpful to other members. Well to late now,lol. And my memory is just as bad as my photographer's skills. Myself,I have a hard time with a rebuild/repair. I can't stop! I would want to replace everything that had even the slightest wear showing! And a lot of other stuff just because it's not shiny anymore,lol. That is why,even though only paying $1800.00 to purchase my bike. I have now spent more money than I will ever be able to recover. That's okay I don't intend to sell it anyway.
I hope your better at maintaining a budget than I am :roll: . I'm sure your going to be happy to be back on the road after three years!
Sassy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:12 pm Can't help on wire identification but would really enjoy any pics and input as you reinstall. Good luck on a smooth assembly.
Sassy,are you doing an engine install too?

ACN
Huntersbane

Post by Huntersbane »

Err unfortunately my Budgeting skills are the same as yours.
Bought mine for £2000 some 9 years ago, after a year had the 3rd 4th gear death rattle 4th eventually gave up the Ghost.... so had it rebuilt, while that was happening I purchased another engine from a 1990 machine with heads, starter and Alt on her. So put that in her before the rebuild was complete, and guess what. It had the 3rd 4th death rattle, so out again and original engine back in all nice and tight, rebuild the second engine. Now This is the 4th rebuild, and through one was or another the 8th engine rebuild.

I also purchased a brand new Full Body Kit at another £2000 had it fully Sprayed in Teal ( the colour on my pic) at £1200.

One way or another I have Spent over the 9 years £31,000, but have one bike I like with two of everything.....hohum..... thanks bud, I'm not the only one it seems....
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

Huntersbane wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:23 am Err unfortunately my Budgeting skills are the same as yours.
Bought mine for £2000 some 9 years ago, after a year had the 3rd 4th gear death rattle 4th eventually gave up the Ghost.... so had it rebuilt, while that was happening I purchased another engine from a 1990 machine with heads, starter and Alt on her. So put that in her before the rebuild was complete, and guess what. It had the 3rd 4th death rattle, so out again and original engine back in all nice and tight, rebuild the second engine. Now This is the 4th rebuild, and through one was or another the 8th engine rebuild.

I also purchased a brand new Full Body Kit at another £2000 had it fully Sprayed in Teal ( the colour on my pic) at £1200.

One way or another I have Spent over the 9 years £31,000, but have one bike I like with two of everything.....hohum..... thanks bud, I'm not the only one it seems....

I'm sorry, are we related? :lol:
I don't feel so bad now. I have managed to "only" spend a total of $7000,so far. But I've only owned it for 18 months.
I'm sure you know what happens now.
Everything so far has been about making run and ride like it's intended to do.
The next part is where I need to exercise those non existent budgeting skills.
In my previous post I mentioned replacing things just because they don't look shiny and new anymore.
This is why I avoid mirrors like a vampire. I don't look so shiny and new anymore either. :lol:
I only have a couple of covers to replace because the PO did a lousy looking rattle can paint job on them. The two lower engine covers and the windshield trim. Once upon a time they were chrome. He used Rustolium Hammered Bronze. It's brown! The bike is Barbados Blue. 8-) I guess he was color blind. But he was proud enough of his work to give me a full can of paint for "touch-ups".
I'm barely done writing and my mind is already doing the wish list.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

[/quote]
Sassy,are you doing an engine install too?

ACN
[/quote]
No but for curiosity, and somebody who done it always better than a book for me.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
Huntersbane

Post by Huntersbane »

Well $7000 is not too bad at all. Should be looking and going great.
The unfortunate thing about wings is the Longer you keep em, the faster, that $7000 starts creeping up to my £31000. Lol... its all relative....
Playing Putty-Back-Together on Monday 15th July 24, so will take some Pics too...just waiting and hoping, for that moment as in the immortal words of Dr Victor Frankenstein,

"ITS ALIVE" :geek:
AceCycleNut
'86 Honda Shadow VT700
'74 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
'63 Yamaha YG1 80
'60 Mondial Nova 125
'58 Vespa Piago GS150

Post by AceCycleNut »

"ITS ALIVE" :geek:

I say that a lot. That's a whole story on it's own.

I read on the forum someplace. Another member summed it up with "You can pay up front and buy a new motorcycle or you can buy an old one and pay as you go".
No getting past the pay part unfortunately.
I think you are right about costing you to keep a Goldwing. I don't believe buying a new one is an escape,only a temporary postponement.
Then there's the old destination Vs journey thing. Always looking for that perfect blend aren't we? As long as we are on sayings another one comes to mind. "Fools Rush In". I Sport a big ol foolish grin quite often. :D Pretty sure others have had a good laugh at my expense once or twice too.

Good luck on the engine install! I hope it's smooth sailing for you! I do fine when I follow the checklist. But every time I think I can shortcut something I have to back up and get back on the path. My shortcuts turn into "extra entertainment". Lucky it doesn't take much to occupy a simple mind,lol. Okay and this was going to be real short.

Looking forward to those pictures!

ACN