XM Radio Reception

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tbruno
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

XM Radio Reception

Post by tbruno »

Hello everyone, does anyone have a problem with the xm radio? I live in the Northeast. My radio keeps cutting in and out. i have traveled to Florida and threw the Smoky Mountians on the return trip. I have contacted Honda and they said they know nothing of the kind. I also called numurous deales around the states. Everybody tells me that they have not had any problems. Can anybody help me out. Thanks.

Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: XM Radio Reception

Post by Mike 545 »

I recently got a 2012 wing. My XM cuts-out, when I put it into the garage. Plus, I was supposed to get 3 free months; XM shut it down after 3 weeks.
dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Post by dragon2000 »

Mike 545 wrote:I recently got a 2012 wing. My XM cuts-out, when I put it into the garage. Plus, I was supposed to get 3 free months; XM shut it down after 3 weeks.
I experience the same receiption issues with my GPS when I drive my Wing into my garage. That said, since the XM and GPS depend on Satellite reception I suspect it could be your provider.

My Wing is a 2009 and I do not have the XM option. I have the Zummo 550 GPS and love the capability it provides with being able to select destinations, etc on the move.

I wanted to install the 550 antenna to take advantage of the weather option. My question is, do you have the weather option? If so is this also affected by poor reception and also what is the approx cost? Here in Canada the cost is ridiculas :shock:

Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours - sold - :-)
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr »

Mike 545 wrote:I recently got a 2012 wing. My XM cuts-out, when I put it into the garage. Plus, I was supposed to get 3 free months; XM shut it down after 3 weeks.

Welcome to the world of XM. Worst company to deal with that you can run into. Goggle it for more info. Their business practices are something else.

That said the XM in my car cuts out when I drive it into the garage too. If I wait for a bit it will come back on. I think that is normal.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Sirius/XM is lousy in terms of customer support - that said, they will do almost anything to keep you as a customer. If you call to tell them you're canceling, they will normally offer you lots of free months and/or discounts in order to stay.
Mike 545
Motorcycle: Blue 2012 GL1800
1995 GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by Mike 545 »

Perhaps, but I was supposed to get 3 free months; and they cut me off after 3 weeks. That does not sound like viable customer support.
GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by GRAPEAPE94 »

I have an XM radio that I move between my bike and truck with no problems. Seeing as though it is satilite provided you need a clear view if the sky. If there are a lot of trees overhanging the road , or you are downtown in a city with a lot of tall buildings the reception will be blocked. I have ridden from S.W. Fl. to Cleveland with no problems and that includes severl trips on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Tail of The Dragon.
Rambler444
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800 A

Post by Rambler444 »

I have xm on mine that I also move from car, to truck ,and motorcycle. mine cuts out when the signal is blocked, but that`s normal I would say , around large buildings or covered roads or or things like that, it could also be the position of you antenna, ok check that out, . yes their service is lousy, when it comes to customer s, so call them and tell they what for and they will give you some bertter options at least they did me .
jschiner
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi/XM

Post by jschiner »

My 2012 XM is crap. The least amount of riding under tree leaves knock out the signal. The sound quality really sucks compared to my car unit. My factory car XM sounds 100% better. My guess is that the placement and quality of the bike's XM Antenna is the culprit. If you are in your garage it's fairly normal for them to cut out as when you are under a bridge. Their should be a fair amount of signal buffering built in so that when you are under a Bridge or riding under trees that you still would maintain a buffered signal but that is not the case with Honda's. It's just a bad implementation all around. Sucks paying all those big bucks and getting a second rate system. Maybe a different antenna would help out the unit.
motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200 RT, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1987 VFR 400R, 1986 VFR 700F Gone: 2009 GL 1800 ABS

Post by motorhead1977 »

I have XM on my 09 and it also cuts out in some locations that would seem to be clear overhead. I am in the NE as well. I figured it has something to do with the antenna placement under the front of the fairing. Remember, the factory XM in your car usually has an external mounted antenna so it will do a better job. As for customer service I have not needed any so I can't comment.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis
GRAPEAPE94
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by GRAPEAPE94 »

I have an add on XM radio that I use both on the bike and in my truck so I mounted the antenna on top of the dash with no problems. I origianally wanted to mount it under the trunk lid so that it would not be seen but after removing the inner liner from the lid and trying it there I found out that my reception was not the best. On top of the dash panel it has a clear view of the sky and as the dash and antenna are both black it is barley noticeable.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

XM is 100% digital, so if the sound quality is bad, it's not because of bad reception. You either have 100% reception, or you have nothing - it can't degrade because of a poor signal. If it doesn't sound good, it's because of the design and/or implementation of the radio itself.

As for frequent cutouts, this is usually due to poor antenna placement. I too have my aftermarket antenna mounted on the dash of my 1500, and it virtually never cuts out.

XM has two satellites, one over the east coast, one over the west coast. Each of them transmits two copies of the signal - one live, and one delayed by a few seconds. The radio buffers the live signal, and can revert to the delayed signal if required. Normally, it will have at least a couple signals from the satellites to rely upon. If you drive under a bridge where there is no signal at all, it will run off the buffer until you emerge and it picks up the signal again, at which point it will start building up the buffer again. If the bridge is too long, the radio's buffer will run out, and it will mute.

XM also has terrestrial transmitters in large metropolitan areas that do not require line of sight access to the transmitter (like a regular FM radio). These transmitters rebroadcast the satellite digital signal, so you can receive a full signal even with no view of the sky at all.
motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200 RT, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1987 VFR 400R, 1986 VFR 700F Gone: 2009 GL 1800 ABS

Post by motorhead1977 »

So, how big a job would it be to move the Honda XM antenna from under the fairing to a dash top mount? Could be worth it as my wife loves having the tunes.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis
BamBam424
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing

Post by BamBam424 »

2012 GL 1800 with NAVI/Premium Sound
Lots of complaints, but no FIX's posted?
My GL1200 I put an external XM radio and antenna on and had great reception so this is disappointing for Honda to not test this issue and post fixes being totally built in unit. If they have posted a fix or recall I have not found it
MIne too has reception issues. Who has actually fixed this?
Is there no fix with the current antenna location?
Can I buy a new antenna and the end butt connection be plugged in somewhere besides removing the whole dash to get to the back of the radio?
Can the radio be simply removed to get to the back?
On the back of the radio is it a stock XM plug in like my other solo XM radios?
2014 Honda Goldwing
1979 Refurbished Cycle Camp tent trailer
B Bamford
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

The Harley guys have the same problem, HD places the antenna in the fairing and it's not always square to the world. They need to be pointing straight up. Check your radio, it should have a standard AM/FM antenna input and if it is Sat ready, there should be an XM antenna input plug as well. You can find replacement antennas on ebay for as little as $12 or buy direct from Sirius XM. Mount it on the dash, on top of one of the mirrors, just about anywhere that it's exposed to the sky, then route the cable through the fairing and plug her in. The main problem is where the factory mounts them. They throw them in where they fit, surrounded by electrical connections and equipment, metal parts, and pointed off at an angle. A simple mount is to take a piece of steel strap about 4" long and 1" wide, bend it at an angle that matches the angle of your windshield, throw some paint on it so it looks nice, put some 3M double sided tape on the back and attach it to the inner side of the windshield near the dash. Since most of these antennas have a magnetic back, it will stick to the metal shelf you've just provided. I've done this for the XM radio I added, and I get reception even in my garage. Hope this helps.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
BamBam424

Post by BamBam424 »

Thanks that is what I was looking for in all the articles that went around the FIX. My GL1200 I put the add on antenna on the break reservoir facing straight up and worked perfect, but shocked Honda was so stupid to not test this place they put it with all the bikes produced. Living in NW Washington we have a LOT of trees and this cutting out all the time makes XM worthless. Will look into how hard it is to remove or get to the back of the radio and pray it does not say, "Remove the faring!"
2014 Honda Goldwing
B Bamford
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

On your 2012, the radio is in the top trunk, not the fairing. Just the controls are in the fairing. An after market XM antenna is not plug and play for the Honda Radio. It will need some modification. Go to the GL1800Riders site. Do a search. There are all kinds of posts on changing the XM antenna. Most people would mount it on the rear speaker area of the top trunk so it was close to the radio.

I have not had any problems with my 2012. I have ridden all across the country and back. I do get cutouts in all the normal problem areas with trees, mountains, buildings, etc.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Keep in mind that the human body is an EXCELLENT shield against high-frequency satellite radio signals. So keep the antenna as far away as possible from rider/passenger. The first time I put one on my bike, I put the antenna on the trunk and every time I had a passenger, they would block the signal completely when I rode in some directions.

My 1500 for many years has had the antenna on the glareshield, right at the base of the windshield, on the right hand side. It's worked great there.
BamBam424

Post by BamBam424 »

So is the antenna also in the back somewhere from stock or up in the front of the dash where some photos led me to believe? I saw a Honda Release and soon realized the article of the antenna to be placed up front below the windshield was a 2018 1800 and not my 2012.
You are a lifesaver to not be hunting up front to remove the LCD looking for the radio to plug a XM antenna into. I thought in the trunk was only the NAVI system.
I put the really nice leather case up on the back trunk rack for permanent storage in my photo, then paid for XM and if that leather case is blocking the original XM antenna??? I can work with that as the case stays, but moving the antenna can be done:) Even velcro on top of the case high enough to be out of heads blocking it.
Thanks so much, Bruce
2014 Honda Goldwing
B Bamford
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

If the unit is in the back, the antenna is probably mounted in the trunk lid, the high point of the back rest, under the lid liner. You may be able to relocate it or realign it to improve your reception.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
BamBam424

Post by BamBam424 »

You are all amazing help and thank you!!! I read there was a NAVI upgrade back in 2012 on a Honda release to have a shop do it for free to go from 2.20 (mine now) to 2.50. Called Garmin and they had me download now 4.2 upgrade 6 + years later of upgrades so wish me luck while I am in the trunk to do both!! I watched the online video of how to do the 2.5 upgrade so they said to just follow those videos for this. Would be cool if it looked like Google Maps in todays world:)
2014 Honda Goldwing
B Bamford
BamBam424

Upgrade XM system from 2.2 to what ever is current in 2019? And Maps

Post by BamBam424 »

So now 1 more question for you XM pro's?
My 2012 has never been upgraded from 2.2 system. There was a Honda Release back in 2012 to upgrade to 2.5 by Honda that expired in 2017. I took a USB to the Honda store and they used their code to put the upgrade on it and I brought it home and did everything the instructions said and it then stated this whole upgrade was outdated to even use this type of update and my PC defaulted to the Garman site and wanted to down load a total different system? End results are it still shows on the bike system I am still running 2.2?
I have Googled myself to sleep trying to get any information that in 2019 what system it should have 2.5 to 4.6 and nothing on what, where, when or how to get my bike to the most current system and map? Honda tries to sell me a new chip for $95 and some leads say this chip will do it all, but I doubt it. As I read there is the System to upgrade and Maps to upgrade as separate issues?
2014 Honda Goldwing
B Bamford
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

The antenna on your 2012 is in the front of the bike under the front plastic just below the windshield. The radio is under the floor of the top trunk. When you open the trunk lid, you see the GPS. You have to remove the floor of the trunk and then you will find the radio. If you have a CB, it is located below the radio.
Henry34653
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Navi

Post by Henry34653 »

BamBam424 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 pm You are all amazing help and thank you!!! I read there was a NAVI upgrade back in 2012 on a Honda release to have a shop do it for free to go from 2.20 (mine now) to 2.50. Called Garmin and they had me download now 4.2 upgrade 6 + years later of upgrades so wish me luck while I am in the trunk to do both!! I watched the online video of how to do the 2.5 upgrade so they said to just follow those videos for this. Would be cool if it looked like Google Maps in todays world:)
You can get updates as recent as April 01, 2019 from the below site at no cost.. just download the gmapsupp. Img file to your computer, copy the file to your Sd card and you are set.. I have been using this site for awhile and have had no problems.

http://www.raumbezug.eu/osm-garmin.htm
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

The start of this thread was back in 2012.

It doesn't seem like XM/Sirius customer service has gotten any better. My '16 is nearing 2 years old now since purchased new. I did get the full 90 day free trial, but hardly listened to the radio. The few times I did I don't recall any issues. I primarily used the weather and traffic function and only retained that for another year after the 90 day free trial. Then after using that for a year discovered that it is only available in larger metropolitan areas. While I do live in such an area, we will travel to many areas that are not covered by this service. With that in mind I decided to end even the weather and traffic after a year to see how I get along without that. So far, I don't miss it that much. It was nice and convenient to have that information pop up on the screen, but it hasn't been much of an inconvenience not having it either. Of course, the same or more information can be obtained from my iPhone 8+ that i usually have mounted on the left in an RAM X-mount that covers way more than just the large metropolitan areas.

They (XM/Sirius) do continue to offer me discounts to renew. Their best offer so far seems to be about $6/month for the weather & traffic for 6 months. Maybe it included the radio. It's been a little while since I've paid attention to their e-mails. If that is with the radio I might reconsider if I could get them down to either $3 or $4 per month for just the weather and traffic. I guess I'll take a closer look when the next offer arrives.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider