Gold Wing tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
gt750
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Gold Wing tires

Post by gt750 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:25 am

Who are you "Darkbrainers" trying to convince? A car tire on a bike? Of course you do it to save money. Otherwise why would you do it? Yes, bike tires are expensive. But, this means I can corner at a high rate of speed. Something that the CAR Tire people, the honest ones, anyway, admit to giving up. I ride to be able to lean over in the corners. Also, safety is something I am willing to pay extra for. My Metzeler touring tires, ME888's will last maybe 10,000 miles, maybe. Not too bad.
There are accidents and incidents with car tires on bikes, but they are always dismissed. For example: My friends buddy with a Kawasaki Nomad had TWO BLOWOUTS with rear car tires before going back to a proper tire. Whenever I mention this I am told that it must've rubbed on the swingarm, or he never installed it properly, or SOMETHING!!! Geez, maybe this happens quite a bit but pride prevents the truth from coming out?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:25 am

Car tires on large bikes is always a good topic for discussion. Some swear by it others do not. I have rode my 1800 with a CT and found it to be quite acceptable. Have sold the bike since. If you are one who likes the CT application, and it works for you, good. If you have tried it and don't like it, go back to an MT, choice. You also have a choice to not entertain any modification to your motorcycle that was not installed by the OEM at the factory.

I liken this issue to that of towing a trailer. An 1800 or any other bike for that matter is not designed or engineered to tow a trailer - OEMs do not recommend this and mention so in its owners manuals, but you don't get the same discussion when a person asks about a trailer.

These bikes also have a GVW rating. You don't get a lot of discussion on this when the weight of the bike plus rider/passenger without any luggage exceeds the GVW.

A lot of the innovations that we enjoy come from those who pushed the envelope. Dunlop tire company has done a lot of research/homework into MC tires and have come up with the E4 series tire that is purported to be good for 30,000 miles. This was not done just because they want Dunlop tires to last longer, but to draw the cruiser/touring market into its stable so to speak. It was also done by talking to those who use a CT and why this is done. Talked to a Dunlop rep two years ago at the bike show in Abbotsford about this very same issue.

As you mention, safety is paramount for you, and I believe this is the same with all other riders. If some aspect of the GW community is not for you, so be it. We all have skeletons in the closet. Have a nice day. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

gt750

Post by gt750 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:31 pm

My issue comes from the deception and deceit from those who have had issues, including handling, blowouts, slides, etc., but choose to keep that hidden. Or know of others with issues and choose to not report it or say it was their fault for doing or not doing something. You're right though, not for me, or for others truly into motorcycling. Most car tire users treat their bike like a car anyway.

gt750

Post by gt750 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:36 pm

@Rednax60- What have you gained, what have you lost going from an 1800 to a 1200? I'm meaning in regards to handling, power, luggage capacity, or anything that sticks out to you....and thanks for the nice post to my inflammatory post. I am just upset that only one side of this is seemingly being presented to people.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 pm

No worries - never try to second guess a person's reason for doing something, just point out my opinion in as constructive a manner as possible. I read a lot of threads and if something strikes my fancy I will research it. If it seems reasonable from everything I can find and from my life experiences, I may give it a go. I always leave myself a way out to go back to what was. I also make the decision myself and take the responsibility for such.

I have friends who ride Harleys and followed me for 1 1/2 years to find fault and could not. With the suspension upgraded to Traxion front and rear, I was more than able to run with the big boys in the twisties with a CT. Suspension in my opinion is highly overlooked as to the ride quality and performance of an older bike, with or without a CT installed.

I would have a CT on my 1200 but there are issues I do not want to tackle in order to do so.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

gt750

Post by gt750 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:14 am

Nice! There you go. Thanks for the reply, again.

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am

As usual, my cousin's bother's father-inlaw's uncle had a problem with these. No first hand information. For the most part those who express that ct's don't handle or are a danger have NO first hand knowledge and have not tried one.

Darkside tire on the Dragon.
Attachments

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm

823JIM wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am
As usual, my cousin's bother's father-inlaw's uncle had a problem with these. No first hand information. For the most part those who express that ct's don't handle or are a danger have NO first hand knowledge and have not tried one.

WRONG (kinda)
I tried a Darkside tire on my Goldwing for 30,000 miles -

it DID work -- it DID deliver more miles per Dollar -it DID stop & start well - it DID corner ok
it DID stick in the rain - it DID work in the dry - it DID give a good ride - it DID hold pressure

The CAR TIRE does a lot of things we wish motorcycle tires would do --

EXCEPT (for me) -
It felt kinda weird all the time -
I felt it push (think Nascar) often as it continued to drive me straight ahead
It wanted to stand UP straight rather than lean over - I had to consequently continue to steer in the corners all the time
while on a MT one can set the lean and ride through the turn.
I DID NOT check the final drive often cause the tire lasted so long (no damage but I wonder?)
I was NOT confident in a deep lean over although I could and did scrap the pegs at the Dragon while on a CT.

it DOES work - But (for me) it was a weird feeling and I returned to the sensation of a motorcycle tire
There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle and buying tires is part of the equation -

My 2 ¢

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

823JIM
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing
1978 KZ650 (needs restoring)

Post by 823JIM » Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm
823JIM wrote:

WRONG (kinda)

it DID work -- it DID deliver more miles per Dollar -it DID stop & start well - it DID corner ok
it DID stick in the rain - it DID work in the dry - it DID give a good ride - it DID hold pressure

EXCEPT (for me) -
It wanted to stand UP straight rather than lean over - I had to consequently continue to steer in the corners all the time
I DID NOT check the final drive often cause the tire lasted so long (no damage but I wonder?)
I was NOT confident in a deep lean over although I could and did scrap the pegs at the Dragon while on a CT.

it DOES work - But (for me) it was a weird feeling and I returned to the sensation of a motorcycle tire
There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle and buying tires is part of the equation -

My 2 ¢

I very much appreciate your first hand opinion. And a CT does have a different feel to it. But as you said it does work and there are no glaring safety issues. You are switching back for that feel. I like the car tire for the weight carrying, as with myself, my wife and my trailer a motorcycle tire is at or past it's limit on these 900# machines, not to mention that they are twice as good in the rain, and still handle just fine in the twisty's.
Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
Jim King

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I went to the Michelin RF ZP for my own personal Safety.

got used to the "stand up straight" feeling pretty quick.

Pull a trailer a lot, and the Michelin at 10,000 miles plus still pretty much looks like it did when installed.
~John

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin » Fri May 04, 2018 9:10 am

823JIM wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm
Wingsconsin wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm
823JIM wrote:

WRONG (kinda)

EXCEPT (for me) -

My 2 ¢

I very much appreciate your first hand opinion. And a CT does have a different feel to it. But as you said it does work and there are no glaring safety issues. You are switching back for that feel. I like the car tire for the weight carrying, as with myself, my wife and my trailer a motorcycle tire is at or past it's limit on these 900# machines, not to mention that they are twice as good in the rain, and still handle just fine in the twisty's.
AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:30 pm
I went to the Michelin RF ZP for my own personal Safety.

got used to the "stand up straight" feeling pretty quick.

Pull a trailer a lot, and the Michelin at 10,000 miles plus still pretty much looks like it did when installed.
Again -- FOR ME--- I ride 97% of the time ALONE (1-up)
I DO NOT Pull a trailer - I pack relatively light (for a Goldwinger)
For those instances where 2 up, trailer pulling, packed for 2 people , riding --
Maybe a CT is a good choice -
Everyones experience is likely going to be different.

IF ONLY the MT factories could do better for our 2-wheel wonders -
Maybe Dunlop is getting there with the E4s ? And Avon Cobra has been really good to me as well

Ride your ride - Be Safe

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/