Gold Wing tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Re: Gold Wing tires

Post by Wingrider44 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:11 pm

This is what I'm struggling with. I love the idea of doubling the miles on my tires. But after decades, there's been no real testing? Why? (Or maybe there has and I've just missed it). It seems to me that there is a huge untapped market that's sitting unfulfilled. I just don't buy that manufacturers are scared of getting sued. They're leaving too much money on the table to be sitting on the sidelines if running CT's is as save as MT. And why not build a MT with the durability of a CT?

I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I feel your pain. My son keeps telling me the very same thing every time I talk about my putting a cartire on this spring. I have the tire and the rim and I WILL be trying it. I've come to the conclusion that I will try it and if I like it, great. If I don't like it then I will sell a rim and a tire.

But I have another question. What is wrong with putting Bias ply tires on instead of Radials, as long as both the front and rear are identical tire construction? Even if we could put on bias ply tires we would experience a lower tire cost, more choices in tires, etc. I know there have been people have done it on Victory Visions and experienced no ill effects. Any thoughts on this subject?

Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

GLRT
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now

Post by GLRT » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Wingrider44 wrote:
This is what I'm struggling with. I love the idea of doubling the miles on my tires. But after decades, there's been no real testing? Why? (Or maybe there has and I've just missed it). It seems to me that there is a huge untapped market that's sitting unfulfilled. I just don't buy that manufacturers are scared of getting sued. They're leaving too much money on the table to be sitting on the sidelines if running CT's is as save as MT. And why not build a MT with the durability of a CT?

I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I feel your pain. My son keeps telling me the very same thing every time I talk about my putting a cartire on this spring. I have the tire and the rim and I WILL be trying it. I've come to the conclusion that I will try it and if I like it, great. If I don't like it then I will sell a rim and a tire.

But I have another question. What is wrong with putting Bias ply tires on instead of Radials, as long as both the front and rear are identical tire construction? Even if we could put on bias ply tires we would experience a lower tire cost, more choices in tires, etc. I know there have been people have done it on Victory Visions and experienced no ill effects. Any thoughts on this subject?
What you run on the front vs back does not matter as even if you use the same brand and type the profiles are different. You can mix and match to suit your needs.
There have never been any real test done on car tire only what I call feels like guesses. There are thousands of individuals running CT's and I have yet to hear of any litigation resulting from the use. Manufactures will never condone the use of a CT for very obvious reasons.
55k + millage is achievable along with a safe reliable ride. There is some real science involved regarding setup and choice however this is often clouded over by "feels like" imaginary testing.
Only solid understanding of physics will lead to proper tire choice and setup. In general run flats are a very poor choice. While the ride will still be safe handling will not be ideal and longevity short.
Only a standard radial ct and proper inflation will offer the greatest tire life along with the best general handling.

While I have been a CT user since the 70's I also realize they have limits. High speed peg dragging in general is best done on standard MC tires.
If you are a normal rider who just wants to achieve best ride and value then a proper CT setup may be a good alternative for you.

I will never claim greater grip or better handling as that would require real testing. This type of testing is only possible under carefully controlled conditions using various setups and the normal blind testing. This to my knowledge has never been done and may never be done as it would require intensive investment of time and finance to achieve.

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Post by Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Back80, when I was running my E3's front and rear I could drag the side of my 02 model.....actually I drug it too much which I dont like. First I added new progressive springs which raised the front of my bike about 2 inches and I keep the level of my rear suspension at 25 at all times to give me the most clearance in the corners. I still could drag the side of my bike in a corner if I wante to with the E3's on. Next change was my Hankook H426 195/60/16 ct that I run at 40psi. I can still lay my wing over and touch in a corner and that tire is solid as a rock. I went with it because it has some natural curve to it and the edges are rounded and not square like some of the performance tires. They say the rubber compound is harder on a ct than a mt and that is where the extra mileage comes in. Softer compounds give you more traction but with a ct straight up you have more area on the road than a mt. Its not much, I run a 180 series on my mt and a 195 in my ct and no for me, the changes in turning and so forth was not dramatic. In the corners I would bet the Hankook ct has as much if not a touch more surface area on the ground that a mt. This is not onky looking from the rear of the bike but also from the side. I have taken sharp turns and immediately stopped and looked at the tire and you do not ride on the sidewall if inflated properly. Another way to test this is to paint the tread of the tire and go for a ride and see where the paint wears. This includes the sides. This will also help you get proper air inflation and max wear. Do this.......buy a extra rim and spend 75-80 bucks on a tire, put it on your bike and go riding. Ride 2-300 miles and give it a fair chance and ride all road conditions. If you don't like it, go to The Darkside website and sell it. Guys told me that and said it would sale in a day if I priced it right. You would lose little money if any and you know yourself what to expect without having to listen to both sides of the isle on here. Oh and as far as the issue of rapid air loss due to the bead of the tire, if you hit a hole hard enough to knock a ct off, I would bet you would knock a mt off too. For the record I currently have 2000 miles on mine and planning a 3700 mile trip in July using twistie roads in the mountains and the interstate. Keep in touch, would like to hear what you end up doing.

theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by theback80 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00 pm

I'll definitely consider the dark side the next time I need tires. But that might not be until next summer. I bought a brand new '12 last year and proceeded to hit a deer at 70mph on my very first road trip. Didn't even get 3000 miles on the bike. Needless to say, that put an end to my riding for the summer. The bike is back to new (after $10,000 in repairs). I'm still on the mend however. I'll definitely be riding this summer, but I don't think I'll be in good enough shape for extended rides until next summer, God willing. My left side got banged up pretty good (broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade, several broken ribs, and a punctured lung for good measure). I don't think I'll be able to comfortably handle hours in the saddle on an extended rode trip. So I'm aiming for next summer for my next trip. Either the Rockies or the Blue Ridge mountains. But on the bright side I live in Wisconsin, so I'll still be able to attend WingDing!

2002bluewing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by 2002bluewing » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Go to the DARKSIDE you won't be disappointed. Was getting on average out of my Elite 3's 14,000 miles. Stepped up to a car tire three years ago on the rear and I average about 21,000 on the rear now, front still around 14,000. For a few extra dollars for the car tire I am getting 7,000 extra miles which suits me fine. Try it, most likely you'll like it :)

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm

@Bluewing, my rim and tire only set me back about $150 compared to over $200 just for the mt. I averaged about15/16 on my e3's. Will probably go dark on the front next time.

Back80, Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get well soon. I am planning a trip uo your way at the end of July. Heading due north from Louisiana towards Winnipeg, across to Duluth, down the lenght of Michigan back home. Keep in touch, you may be able to come ride a mile or two with me.

white shark
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by white shark » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:00 pm

As regards Avon tyres, I have used them for 8 years now and love them, the most important thing is tyre pressures, it's quite clear you were runnning them under inflated, Avon state the tyre pressure should be 41 front and 42 rear, different to the manual.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm

This evening, I will be installing my Hankook car tire. I'll be curious to find out how the bike feels with it. I'm presently running a Bridgestone 704 on the rear and a Dunlop E3 front. I'll report back on my impressions.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Wingrider44, I started with about 37 psi then went to 40. The past week or so I have run 42 psi just to see what it felt like. FOR ME, I think I like the feel at 40 psi the best. Actually was relaxing a bit before I lowered mine back to 40 psi when I got your notice. Not that 42 felt bad, maybe just a touch rougher when riding over highway cracks and such. Good luck, hope you like the Hankook and I'll be anxiously awaiting a report from you.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 pm

The tire is mounted and my first impression was that it really didn't feel that much different than the Stone 704 I was running. In other words, I LIKED IT.....A LOT. My expectation was that I'd experience more of a different feel but the bike handles absolutely excellent.
I started out with a pressure of 42 which I came up with by going between what Flyn Tiger recommend and what a member of the Darkside forum of another board recommended. He said to run at 44 and Flyn Tiger said 40 so I split the difference and it rides and handles very well. So far after only about 25 miles of riding I think this is going to work out very well.
By the way, the 704 had about 7,000 miles on it and when I got the wheel off and got a good look at it, I figured I would have had to replace it in no more than another 1000 miles.....maybe sooner. In other words, it was pretty well shot. I noticed how much quieter the ct is than what the 704 had evolved into.
All in all, I'm happy up to this point and looking forward to putting many more miles on.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Wingrider44, Glad you like it so far. I'm like you, the feel was not much different than what my E3 felt. As you ride on different surfaces, gravel parking lots and such you will notice how much better the ct feels over the mt and how much more stable it is. Play with your air pressure and find out what feels better to YOU. Here in La our roads have alot of cracks in them and I'm thinking the tire has a harder ride at 42 psi than 40. Still overall cornering and handling is the same to me.

Do you know who "Yellow Wolf" is? I'll assume you do. He just went to the darkside on his wing and ran the Dragon and actually ran a faster time than he did with his mt. He also ran in the wet and he said grip was much better with a ct than his mt. He also stated that he did the ole run in the water then turn test with both tires and he even said there was a larger contact patch with the ct. You can go to the darkside site and see a pic and read what he said. If I believed anyone, it would be him. That guy can ride a wing.

Keep in touch on here. I'll be interested to see how things go as you put more miles on that tire.

Oh I'll be riding up your way the last week of July, God willing, heading towards the border around Winnipeg. Be happy for you to come along and put some miles on that tire. Stay safe......

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 am

I certainly know who Yellow Wolf is. I think if a person has been on a Gold Wing for a while and gets on some of the forums, he/she soons learns about Yellow Wolf. I knew he had gone to a ct but I didn't know that he broke his earlier Dragon record. Cool.
I will stay in touch on this board and the GL1800Riders.com board. My user name on GL1800 is rcdriver44. The 44 at the end of both usernames is for my year of birth.
I will probably be around the end of July. My son and I are going to Yellowstone and the Black Hills for a week leaving the 10th of July. So I might be able to meet up with you and ride along a ways. That'd be cool.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Yellowstone is a great place to ride. You also need to go to Mt Rushmore. I think I enjoyed it better there than Yellowstone. Beautiful country.

I will be meeting a friend from Cleveland, Ohio around Omaha, Neb and we will ride to Lebanon, Kansas to see the geographical center of the US then head on to the US, Canadian border. May be seeing theback80 who posted above. He lives in Superior, Wisconsin. Hoping he can ride some but he was in a accident on his bike so he might not ride far. Be great to get some folks together and ride some along the way. The more the merrier. After we leave Superior, we'll be heading towards St Ignace then the length of Michigan south back towards Ohio and home. Come on and ride with us and put some miles on that new Hankook tire.

Let us know as you ride more how you are liking it.

Hope to hear from you later,
FLYN TIGER......

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Had the chance to do some riding a few days ago and have put about 600 miles on the Hankook. All I can say is wow. I'm really liking the ride. The minute differences in handling are forgotten about in just a few miles. The tire is quiet and to me it feels firmly planted on the road. There's no squirminess in the feel when going around sweepers. Naysayers not withstanding, I will keep riding on my CT. I like the extra load carrying capacity, I like the smoother ride, and I like the extra safety it provides, again, naysayers not withstanding.

The only thing I kind of wished I had done was to opt for a runflat. Even there we have a little controversy with some guys not liking those over non RFs. I guess I like the idea of being able to continue about 50 miles at 50 miles an hour to get to a tire shop. Oh well, I now have an extra rim which has a worn out MT on it so when the mood strikes me, I will spend 140 bucks and get a runflat. Still cheaper than an MT. And another thing nice about the 1800 is that changing wheels just isn't a real big deal.

So far so good. Saturday will bring about another 250 miles or so. :) :) :)

Oh, by the way, Flyn Tiger. On our Yellowstone trip, we are planning to ride a day or so in the Black Hills on the way back from Cody, WY. Both my son and I are really pumped about this trip.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 am

Wingrider44, First let me apologize if for some reason a second post like this one pops up. I made one last night but I don't see it on here.

Glad you are enjoying the hankook tire. I have over 2000 miles on mine and don't regret buying it at all. As for the runflat tire, I looked at those and most were performance tires which seemed flatter with square edges plus the sidewall is so much stiffer I was worried about the smooth ride, not as much of a contact patch on the edge in a turn and that feeling of riding on a board and feeling that edge while changing from a flat surface to the turn. The Hankook would flex more keeping more of a contact patch on the road it seems. Just a thought....may try one next time, we'll have to see. What are you running in the tire, beads or what? I used the rideon which continues to balance and stop leaks say a nail get in the tire. Pleased so far.

Your trip will be great....good riding there. Wish I was going with you. I am currently working on a route up your way at the end of July. Doing a couple of bypasses to go by geographical center of the US in Lebonon, Kansas and the center of north America in Rugby, N Dakota. Looking forward to that trip.

Keep us posted on that tire and have a good day,
FlynTiger

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 am

I put 16 fluid oz of RideOn in the tire. This was the dosage recommended on the RideOn website. Never had any problem with unbalanced feel and I like to sealing capability of the RideOn product. I didn't even put the wheel on the balancer to install weights. So it's all good.
You mentioned that you were going to meet up with a friend around Omaha. Since I live in southeast Iowa, Omaha is quite a ways from me....about 2.5 - 3 hours. So it sounds like you won't go east any further than Omaha.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:10 am

No actually I will come up through Fayetteville, Ar and probably meet him in Kansas City. From there we will go to Lebanon then on to Omaha then on up towards Winnipeg. If you take a notion to ride with us even for a couple of days, come on. Love to have you tag along!

I've used the RideOn in several tires now. I like it so far.

Flyn Tiger

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Post by BikerGuy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I see a lot of folks saying they have the Battlax BT45's mounted backwards or reverse on their front wheel. What I don't see is whether these guys have Goldwings or Trikes.........

I friend who works on Goldwings told me to never put a bias ply tire on the front of a Goldwing unless it's a Trike!!! He said if I have a death wish, then go right ahead and put it on...... I'm going darkside and I was considering putting the Battlax BT45 on the front also. Now I don't know what to do.......

Thanks for your input

Peteswing wrote:Myself I am done with the E3s I can't get 8000 miles out of them. I am a Darksider and that may be the problem the E3s they just don't work well with car tires. I will be switching to Bridgestone 701 or the Battlax other darksiders are getting 18,000 to 20,000 out of these tires. I have gone threw 1 E3 and 1 E3 elite less then 8000 out of them. Bridgestones are 100 bucks cheaper by the set.

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 pm

What kind of air pressure and riding are you doing. I run 36 psi in mine, one up 95% of the time, do all types of riding and I get 14-15,000 out of mine. Got 17 out of one set but they were totally worn out. My current E3 is matched with a Hankook ct and seems to be doing well. Will try the B45 on the next one. Got 3000 miles on the ct and all is well and looking great.

fmcastro
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by fmcastro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 am

SHINKO TIRES: I installed Shinko's new compound (890) on my '02 Goldwing. I used Ride-On (8oz, each) and 42 PSI each. Great ride, traction, quiet and less expensive ($210 for both from Amazon, delivered). Shinko Corporate was responsive to my emails and promised "Best mileage per dollar" Previously, my maximum mileage was just under 12K. I will keep you posted, it will take over a year.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Put another few hundred miles on my new CT and I am convinced. I see no MT going on my bike any time soon. For those of you on the fence about going to the dark side, give it a try. I'm sure that you'll like it. The feeling of the CT is only slightly different from an MT. At least it didn't take me many miles to get totally used to it. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say less than 100 miles. I suppose it depends a little on how sensitive (or anal) a person is about 'handling' to influence how long it will take to get used to it.
So after about 3 years of thinking about it, I am now definitely a dark sider. And all I can say is, "I should have done it sooner".
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Wingrider44, All I can do is laugh and smile. :lol: I didn't take 3 years, well close.......I thought about it for several years but researched for just over 3 months before I pulled the trigger and did it. I have over 3,000 on mine now and see zero wear even though I'm still laying my wing over in those twisties. Got a friend who has been asking alot of questions and he tried to out run me on some twisties last Sat......I stayed on his tail on every turn.....he was impressed and likes the look of the Hankook 426. May have another one going to the darkside! I won't be going back to a rear mt either......as a matter of fact, looking at going double dark when I wear this E3 out on the front. 8-)

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:Wingrider44, All I can do is laugh and smile. :lol: I didn't take 3 years, well close.......I thought about it for several years but researched for just over 3 months before I pulled the trigger and did it. I have over 3,000 on mine now and see zero wear even though I'm still laying my wing over in those twisties. Got a friend who has been asking alot of questions and he tried to out run me on some twisties last Sat......I stayed on his tail on every turn.....he was impressed and likes the look of the Hankook 426. May have another one going to the darkside! I won't be going back to a rear mt either......as a matter of fact, looking at going double dark when I wear this E3 out on the front. 8-)
I'm pretty much figuring on doing the same thing, Flyn Tiger. My E3 should be worn out in about 8K which I will easily put on this season so before fall I will be changed over to double dark. I haven't had the chance to do much serious twisty riding but the curvy roads we have near us has shown me that it will be just fine. My son and I are planning a trip to Eureka Springs either the last weekend in April or the second weekend in May. Depends on what the weather outlook will be. Both of us are badly in need of a trip away even if just for a 4 day weekend. :) :) :) It's been a long, miserable winter.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Wingrider44 I don't know if I could live where you are at and not ride no more than you get to. I get to ride pretty much year around. I am ichin to get away also. Trying to get a 3 day weekend to go up into Arkansas also, If you and your son get the chance, go ride hwy 123 which is on the east and west sides of scenic hwy 7 in north central Ark. You won't regret it and you'll get plenty of chances to try that tire out on the twisties. I will be heading up your way the last week of July on a 3000 plus mile 7 day ride. As I told you before, you and your son are welcome to come along if you would like.

Keep us posted on how you like that tire,
Flyn Tiger

BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Post by BikerGuy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 am

I need a bit of advice. A year ago, I bought a tire to go darkside but then I hesitated. I still have the tire. At the time, this tire was recommended for going darkside and I'd like to know now before I go ahead and put it on, if this tire is still a good tire to go with.

The tire is a Yokohama Avid Envigor, 195/55 R16. I am planning to mount centramatics also. I'm also planning to go with Battleax on the front wheel - a BT 45H - in reverse. Why I should put that on in reverse is another thing I don't have an answer to so if you can advise on that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I can't find anyone that will mount the tire. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the tire off the bike to get someone to do it at a shop - if they will even do it with the tire off the bike? I've never pulled a tire off so I don't know if it will be complicated or not. I'm not handy with motor vehicles....

Thanks y'all!