Gold Wing tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Re: Gold Wing tires

Post by BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Hey Tiger and Wingrider44 - Call me nosy if you want to, but what part of NW Arkansas are you folks planning to meet? I'm in OK City. I'm 3 and a half hours from that area and maybe I could meet you guys there if you've no objection to it, and I'm able to break away from work.... :D :D :D Perhaps we should start a new section for meet ups!! Summer's almost here!!!!!

Flyn Tiger wrote:Hey Wingrider44, Was supposed to go to NCentral, NW Arkansas today with two other couples but got braces a month ago and had 2 teeth pulled yesterday, so with me getting knocked out and all I figured it was not in our best interest if I made this trip. I was sure wanting to go try that tire out on some good twisties. Im sure I'll get to go again soon and maybe this fall with the same guys and their wives. Let me know when you are going....maybe we can meet up.

Tiger

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Whats up jmerklin? My next time up to NW Ark will be a pass through on July 23rd as I head towards International Falls. For me my next time up there after thst will be Aug, Sept or October. Depends on the weather. If Ark gets some decent rain this summer the fall colors will be great. Thinking around Halloween is when the colors will peak around a good portion of the state. That is when I will try to go if I can. I'm all for a get together, count me in!

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Tiger - you have a great idea! How about planning for a trip and stay for an extended weekend there in the fall when the weather is cooler, in the early fall? Maybe by then we can get a group of 10 or 15 bikers together for a meet up..... Brilliant idea, Tiger!! :D :D

Now, how do we make a new topic for meet ups?

Flyn Tiger wrote:Whats up jmerklin? My next time up to NW Ark will be a pass through on July 23rd as I head towards International Falls. For me my next time up there after thst will be Aug, Sept or October. Depends on the weather. If Ark gets some decent rain this summer the fall colors will be great. Thinking around Halloween is when the colors will peak around a good portion of the state. That is when I will try to go if I can. I'm all for a get together, count me in!

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Thank you.... guess we just make a post starting a new topic and explain what is going on. If all could work out with time off and such, I could bring anywhere from 2 to 6 extra bikes just from my area. All depends on timing and the weather. Last time I made a trip there and the colors were very brignt was 4/5 years ago. The next year was a dry year for Arkansas and the colors were not good at all.......dull green to a dead brown. My best time is always the last week of a month for what it is worth.

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Hey Tiger. I started the new topic.. It's in the fun forum.... Let's get this planned!! Here's the link and everyone else that wants to plan a meet up or join a meet up, you'll find it in this forum......

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22091

Flyn Tiger wrote:Thank you.... guess we just make a post starting a new topic and explain what is going on. If all could work out with time off and such, I could bring anywhere from 2 to 6 extra bikes just from my area. All depends on timing and the weather. Last time I made a trip there and the colors were very brignt was 4/5 years ago. The next year was a dry year for Arkansas and the colors were not good at all.......dull green to a dead brown. My best time is always the last week of a month for what it is worth.

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Flyn Tiger wrote:Hey Wingrider44, Was supposed to go to NCentral, NW Arkansas today with two other couples but got braces a month ago and had 2 teeth pulled yesterday, so with me getting knocked out and all I figured it was not in our best interest if I made this trip. I was sure wanting to go try that tire out on some good twisties. Im sure I'll get to go again soon and maybe this fall with the same guys and their wives. Let me know when you are going....maybe we can meet up.

Tiger
Sounds good, FlynTiger. I'll let you know when it gets closer to that time. I really don't want to think about that time of year yet since we all know what follows Fall. That doesn't effect you that much but it puts a total kabosh on my riding for at least 3-4 months. Haha.

Would love to able to meet up.

Sorry to hear about getting teeth pulled and wearing braces. Doesn't sound like anything approaching a good time to me.
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey Wingrider44 make sure you check out the above post about a get together in Arkansas around the end of Sept. Maybe we can compare some more notes on these car tires. My thing with fall means hunting season is to come. Need to get up that way one day to hunt one of your big bucks.

Yeah the braces are way overdue. Got the wife and the kids who had 2 set each taken care of and so I decided it was my turn. I need all the help I can bet with this ugly mug....lol

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun May 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Using this line of thinking...
There are over 3,000 people using car tires on the wing on just one forum that I know of and many more on others and countless others who are not on forums. But the bottom line is that each rider must do what makes he/she feel safe.

Tells me that the next topic should be Beanie Style helmets. After all, they are DOT approved.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:39 am

MikeB wrote:Using this line of thinking...
There are over 3,000 people using car tires on the wing on just one forum that I know of and many more on others and countless others who are not on forums. But the bottom line is that each rider must do what makes he/she feel safe.

Tells me that the next topic should be Beanie Style helmets. After all, they are DOT approved.
Mike, Beanie Style helmets, if they are DOT approved, and you wan to wear one, GO FOR IT. If you like car tires, run with it. If you don't like car tires, keep running the MT. Personally, I don't give a crap what you like or don't like. Nor should you give a crap what I like or don't like. I won't get snarky with you as long as you don't get snarky with me. Deal?
Jaap Kroes

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 pm

AMEN Wingrider.... It's called RESPECT. It's something my GF has none of so soon, she's gonna find her (_|_) out the door...... lol.

Hope to see ya in September in NW Arkansas!

BikerGuy
Wingrider44 wrote:
MikeB wrote:Using this line of thinking...

Mike, Beanie Style helmets, if they are DOT approved, and you wan to wear one, GO FOR IT. If you like car tires, run with it. If you don't like car tires, keep running the MT. Personally, I don't give a crap what you like or don't like. Nor should you give a crap what I like or don't like. I won't get snarky with you as long as you don't get snarky with me. Deal?

Tootsieroll*Douglas
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Tootsieroll*Douglas » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Hello jmerklin!
I can't wait until my Battlax rear tire wears out and I can try a car tire on the rear! Removing your rear tire is actually very easy to do. I was concerned about it initially because I had heard "war" stories about removing the rear wheel. I did as many do, watch Youtube videos to see if it was hard and if their might be a shortcut or two. I watched several videos that showed laying the bike on it's side. I thought that was pretty neat and this dispelled any anxiety I initially had about taking the back wheel off. I did this research before I bought my first GL1800, 2003 year model.

When I purchased the bike, the back tire was worn out, so my first task was to remove the wheel. Before laying the bike down on it's side, I did something that some forget to do.....I read the Honda's owner's manual! There is a section in the manual that deals with emergency tire repair, etc....It tells you how to remove the rear tire, without laying the bike down on it's side. I read the directions and thought.....can't be that easy....could it? So I read them again.

I followed the manual's directions and thought....why would anyone want or need to lay their bike down to do this?

In a nutshell, here is all you have to do. Put the bike on it's center stand. Remove the five screws holding the center panel located between the saddle bags. I don't think I had to remove the license plate to accomplish this.

There is a support bar that you will see once the panel is removed. Use the appropriate size wrench or socket to remove the two bolts holding it on.

Be sure the bike is in gear. Loosen and remove the lug nuts. pull the wheel off. Your done.

After I removed the wheel, I thought. That was too easy. Are people forgetting to read their owner's manual? Why lower the bike on it's side and muscle it back up when all you have to do is put it on it's center stand?

I did purchase a torque wrench so I could get the wheel lug-nut torque spot-on when re-installing.

I took my wheels (front and back) to a local bike shop and they didn't have any problems mounting new Battlax tires. I asked the bike mechanic if he would mount a car tire and said "sure".

You might have to go to an independant bike shop to find someone willing to mount a car tire. Dealerships especially don't want any liability strings attached to their work.

Even though I haven't yet tried a car tire on my GL1800, I am riding everyday and thinking that by next spring or summer I will need a new rear tire. I can't wait to try the car tire.

I have been working on a friends Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic and convinced him to try a car tire. I have never riddent a bike with a car tire on the rear but when I test-drove his, I was pleasantly astonished. The bike did seem a bit resistent to turn in slow turns, but once you got it line-up and rolling, man it rode smooth. I have never ridden his bike or a V-Star before so I did not have any comparitve experience in order to make a judgement on if the bike rode better, worse or something in-between. All I know is that once the bike was rolling, it was incredibly smooth and stable. He's got cobra pipes on it so it was way, way, way too loud for me but rode smooth as silk.

If you haven't removed your rear wheel, you might try the manual method. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Hey Tootsierolldouglas, I used to replace my rear wneel as the manual suggested but the book does not say how long it takes if you have a trailer hitch on the back. On mine I have to take one side almost all the way off and this takes alot of time. Laying the bike on its side keeps me from having to take the hitch off and is much much easier.

Tootsieroll*Douglas
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Tootsieroll*Douglas » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Hey Flyn Tiger,

Roger that. jmerklin didn't say if he has a trailer hitch or not. I don't have a hitch. I appreciate that information. I have pondered getting a trailer hitch or not, and this is good information to have, knowing how it does affect the procedure for removing the rear wheel as per the owners manual.

I have read and researched the darkside information. I am definitely going to try a good quality high speed radial on the rear. Probably a Michelin. Good news is that I bought a brand new rear wheel with Bridgestone Battlaw tire already mounted and balanced for $200.00 from a local trike shop! Great deal and I was quite happy with that acquisition. When my rear tire is getting close to its end, I will buy and have the car tire mounted, try it out, and if I don't like it, put my M/C tire back on, keep riding and switch the new Car Tire out with a M/C tire. Hopefully with no down time!

Thanks Bro! Keep them GW's going!

BikerGuy

Post by BikerGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Tootsieroll.... Thanks for the info. FYI, I have already done the tires front and rear. I've got the car tire on the rear and the bias rear tire on the front wheel. Love it. Much more stable and I still scrape my floorboards with no problems. As for doing it the way the manual says, they don't take into account if you have a hitch installed. It's much faster and easier to lay the bike down on the lawn as I did. I posted pics of how I did it that I took when I did it well over a month ago. You might want to search those........ Thanks again for the info. Ride safe.....

BikerGuy aka jmerklin

Tootsieroll*Douglas wrote:Hello jmerklin!
I can't wait until my Battlax rear tire wears out and I can try a car tire on the rear! Removing your rear tire is actually very easy to do. I was concerned about it initially because I had heard "war" stories about removing the rear wheel. I did as many do, watch Youtube videos to see if it was hard and if their might be a shortcut or two. I watched several videos that showed laying the bike on it's side. I thought that was pretty neat and this dispelled any anxiety I initially had about taking the back wheel off. I did this research before I bought my first GL1800, 2003 year model.

When I purchased the bike, the back tire was worn out, so my first task was to remove the wheel. Before laying the bike down on it's side, I did something that some forget to do.....I read the Honda's owner's manual! There is a section in the manual that deals with emergency tire repair, etc....It tells you how to remove the rear tire, without laying the bike down on it's side. I read the directions and thought.....can't be that easy....could it? So I read them again.

I followed the manual's directions and thought....why would anyone want or need to lay their bike down to do this?

In a nutshell, here is all you have to do. Put the bike on it's center stand. Remove the five screws holding the center panel located between the saddle bags. I don't think I had to remove the license plate to accomplish this.

There is a support bar that you will see once the panel is removed. Use the appropriate size wrench or socket to remove the two bolts holding it on.

Be sure the bike is in gear. Loosen and remove the lug nuts. pull the wheel off. Your done.

After I removed the wheel, I thought. That was too easy. Are people forgetting to read their owner's manual? Why lower the bike on it's side and muscle it back up when all you have to do is put it on it's center stand?

I did purchase a torque wrench so I could get the wheel lug-nut torque spot-on when re-installing.

I took my wheels (front and back) to a local bike shop and they didn't have any problems mounting new Battlax tires. I asked the bike mechanic if he would mount a car tire and said "sure".

You might have to go to an independant bike shop to find someone willing to mount a car tire. Dealerships especially don't want any liability strings attached to their work.

Even though I haven't yet tried a car tire on my GL1800, I am riding everyday and thinking that by next spring or summer I will need a new rear tire. I can't wait to try the car tire.

I have been working on a friends Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic and convinced him to try a car tire. I have never riddent a bike with a car tire on the rear but when I test-drove his, I was pleasantly astonished. The bike did seem a bit resistent to turn in slow turns, but once you got it line-up and rolling, man it rode smooth. I have never ridden his bike or a V-Star before so I did not have any comparitve experience in order to make a judgement on if the bike rode better, worse or something in-between. All I know is that once the bike was rolling, it was incredibly smooth and stable. He's got cobra pipes on it so it was way, way, way too loud for me but rode smooth as silk.

If you haven't removed your rear wheel, you might try the manual method. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Post by JerriEric » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I ride 2up 99% of the time. I do mostly secondary roads and not many interstates unless I am on a long trip. I always got 15-17k out of my E3's and could get more but the ride gets kinda rough. I am just turning 94k on my current Wing. I have no complaint with the E3's except they do get loud after 12k or so. I have had some cup and some not cup. I think cupping is due to suspension and tire pressure. I had Bridgestones put on at my last change since so many say they are better then E3's. Well I have 5k on the front and it seems to be wearing just like the E3 front running 41lbs. I can't comment much on the rear since I picked up a nail at 3k and had it changed out. Honestly, at the moment I don't see why riders like the Bridgestones over the E3's but maybe I will find out after another 5k or more. As far as a car tire, I don't want to go there. They were not made for an MC. My Trax installer said someone came in to have his suspension upgraded and had a car tire on the rear. He could not fathom what the attraction is after riding it with the suspension upgrade. But you know, there are those that are never satisfied.

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm

JerriEric wrote:I ride 2up 99% of the time. I do mostly secondary roads and not many interstates unless I am on a long trip. I always got 15-17k out of my E3's and could get more but the ride gets kinda rough. I am just turning 94k on my current Wing. I have no complaint with the E3's except they do get loud after 12k or so. I have had some cup and some not cup. I think cupping is due to suspension and tire pressure. I had Bridgestones put on at my last change since so many say they are better then E3's. Well I have 5k on the front and it seems to be wearing just like the E3 front running 41lbs. I can't comment much on the rear since I picked up a nail at 3k and had it changed out. Honestly, at the moment I don't see why riders like the Bridgestones over the E3's but maybe I will find out after another 5k or more. As far as a car tire, I don't want to go there. They were not made for an MC. My Trax installer said someone came in to have his suspension upgraded and had a car tire on the rear. He could not fathom what the attraction is after riding it with the suspension upgrade. But you know, there are those that are never satisfied.
Don't knock it until you try it.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Just got in from my 14 state, 3704 mile ride from Louisiana to the Canadian border, around the Great Lakes and back. My E3 front tire is now showing some wear in the center due to the amount of interstate riding I did. My Hankook H426 rear tire looks like it did when I left showing zero wear. Out of curiosity several times when stopping for gas after prolonged riding at interstate speeds I felt of the tires to compare how much heat was in both tires. Rear tire was always cooler than the front. FYI Both tires now have almost 9k on them. I had some rain to ride in, rode some twistie roads in Arkansas and of coarse the interstate. Hankook tire was quite, stable and predictable in all situations. No complains what so ever out of me on this tire.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Post by CMReynolds1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:56 am

Need some input on tires for my 2013 F6B. I always used Metzlers on my 82 and loved them. What are some thoughts on Metzlers for the F6B. It has been several years since the 82 and things and maufacturer's change. I haven't seen much input on the site about Metzlers. I would appreciate any input from the group.

Thanks and ride safe,

Chuck
Attachments

Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:35 pm

I can't say anything about those tires. I honestly dont know anyone who uses them. My friend who has the F6 uses the Dunlops.

Sorry I am not much help.
Flyn Tiger

CMReynolds1

Post by CMReynolds1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Actually with no one chiming in, that tells me something! I will stick with Dunlop or Bridgestone moving forward. Thanks for the info.
Attachments

Ride Safe,
Taz

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Did my posts not get on here?

CMReynolds1

Post by CMReynolds1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:08 am

I guess not, as this is the first I had seen.
Ride Safe,
Taz

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 am

CMReynolds1 wrote:Need some input on tires for my 2013 F6B. I always used Metzlers on my 82 and loved them. What are some thoughts on Metzlers for the F6B. It has been several years since the 82 and things and maufacturer's change. I haven't seen much input on the site about Metzlers. I would appreciate any input from the group.

Thanks and ride safe,

Chuck
Chuck, as far as I'm concerned, the F6B is a Gold Wing. Therefore, you can use your favorite tires and favorite oil. What I'm trying to say is that you will find Gold Wing riders that swear by Metzlers and you'll find Gold Wing riders that swear at them. Metzlers are a very good tire. If you have had good luck with them, I'm sure you will love them. Just make sure you watch tire pressures like a hawk. Letting them get low on pressure will wreck them just as quickly as any other brand. So that is NOT unique to Metzlers. Of course, since 1982 manufacturing has changed. Tires are much better today. Thank goodness.
Jaap Kroes

Wingrider44

Post by Wingrider44 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:05 am

Flyn Tiger wrote:Did my posts not get on here?
Flyn Tiger,

Two posts on March 30 and the post of August 1, 2014 when you just got done with your 14 state ride. Those are the last 3 posts I've seen from you on this thread.

By the way, FT, instead of riding on one car tire in the rear, I'm now riding on two. Went the trike route. The bike, when I was riding two up, was getting a little heavy for me and I started to feel insecure in slow traffic and parking lot situations. Riding solo was no problem but I got to feeling guilty for constantly making excuses to my wife for not taking her with me.

Even though I always said I would never ride a trike, now I'm on one and loving it. Had the trike in Arkansas last fall. Don't let anybody tell you that trikes can't handle the twisties. To the contrary, they are AWESOME in the twisties. Will be going to Eureka Springs on April 23 and head back home on April 26. Hope Eureka Springs will be unflooded by then. Guess they had devastating storms there recently.

Can't wait to go south again.
Jaap Kroes

Flyn Tiger

Post by Flyn Tiger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Humm, must have pushed the wrong button. I had 2 posts around that time that did not go through. Anyway, wingrider44 I hope you enjoy your ride to my home state this next month. I was going to ride to NW Ark this weekend but rain chances are high plus the pollen is killing my sinuses. Thinking about heading to Deals Gap, N/S Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia at the end of May. If I dont go there I may go ride north Arkansas and Missouri. Glad to see you still on that bike at age 70. I'm 51and plan on riding as long as I enjoy it. Even thinking about getting another dirt bike just to stay in shape. Lol

Chuck, update on my tires. I currently have some 14,000 plus miles on my Hancook H426 rear CT and dunlop front tire. Rear tire will easily go 30,000 miles and the front will be replaced in another 2,000 miles or so. Will depend on what I ride on mostly, interstate or twisties. Loving my set uo so far.

You guys be safe and stay on 2 or (3 wheels)
Wendell aka: Flyn Tiger

Hey check out my thread on trip planning sites. Need your input.