GL1800 transmission complaints

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
FIREFIGHT100
Motorcycle: 2014 Valkyrie, 2008 Buell XB12X, 2008 Husqvarna te610

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by FIREFIGHT100 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am

I first posted this in the Valkyrie Riders Club after a ride last Thursday.

I have had this symptom happen maybe 5 or 8 times. I cant reproduce it at will.
Wondering if anyone has had this. 2014 .
When slowing down rapidly in a low gear, 2nd or 3rd, The transmission disconnects! I have no
engine braking and rpms drop to idle. And it is not a smooth feeling. Like it will grab and then
release. Feels like it is jumping out of gear, but when I give it gas it accelerates normally.
I can not reproduce this when I try.
I dont want to take it in since it is not reproducable and infrequent in happening.
Any ideas? All maintenance is up to date and it has 19k miles.

Than after a lot of searching and reading of the problem online, I posted this.

I did file a complaint with the U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This is a fairly common problem with the 1800 Honda's. And it is in excess of $4000. for Honda to repair as it requires a mostly all new transmission.
If and when it goes, it can leave you sitting at the side of the road awaiting a tow! Or at worst, when you slow down to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic, and see your opening and go to accelerate and boom! You are in false neutral with no power in the wrong lane with traffic coming! Not a good feeling. This was what happened to me the other day that prompted me to write.
I suggest anyone who is experiencing this issue to do the same a file a report. Honda is aware of this issue.
The fix made to the 2014 transmissions evidently did not fix the problem, unless I got a left over 2013 tranny.
I have lots of warranty left, but I don't relish having my bike laid up for months to repair. It is my daily transportation.

Now I would recommend everyone who is experiencing ghost shifting to do the same and file a complaint online. This is the only way Honda would possibly issue a recall for this problem. Here is the link to file. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm

FIREFIGHT100 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am
Now I would recommend everyone who is experiencing ghost shifting to do the same and file a complaint online. This is the only way Honda would possibly issue a recall for this problem. Here is the link to file. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
This is correct. Manufacturers can only be compelled to issue a recall when the problem affects the product's SAFETY. So if you are experiencing the transmission problem and it has put you in an unsafe situation - or more importantly, caused an accident - make sure you report it to the NHTSA. They pay attention to this sort of thing.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm

FIREFIGHT100 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am
This is a fairly common problem with the 1800 Honda's. And it is in excess of $4000. for Honda to repair as it requires a mostly all new transmission.
Mine cost $4.200 in your money, have had it back about 2 weeks, sounds sweet but still in bits
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.