GL1800 transmission complaints


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
rpg
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Warne, North Carolina
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
Contact:

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by rpg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am



06' 1800 with 30,000 miles. Developed a shift problem between 4th & 5th. It would go away then a soft shift into 5th would produce a clunk. It was even difficult to demonstrate to the Honda shop. They finally did a test ride and and 5th showed itself. A complete removal of the transmission produced a worn fork and rounded gears on 5th. $2700 for 8oz of metal makes the gold market look like a loser. I am an experienced Honda rider for 20 years and it did not matter if it was a soft or hard shift, problem would come and go but it did get steadily worse. If you shift into 5th and feels like you did not have it all the way, then seems to slip all the way, you may have the same problem. Another test I found if its on the stand and you shift lightly through the gears, 1st to 4th slip in nicely then it would growl as I slowly tried 5th, then slip in. If I did a fast shift it would be somewhat smooth going to 5th, with little noise. Remember 1st to 4th was a distinct shift with no after shock or growl. Not out of the manual but may help someone in goldwing land
,



User avatar
1drumlover
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2006 Kawasaki Concours

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by 1drumlover » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am

I have a '05 with 46K on it. I had front end wobble when I took hands off bars (I know, I know!!!!!) until I put new Dunlops on, wobble gone and handles much better.

Shifts from N to 1st were clunky until I switched to 100% synthetic, much smoother now.

No Nav on this bike, I use a Garmmin in a Ram mount, works just fine, I don't need or like audible directions, drives me nuts!!!!. It's a little cumbersome with the wire, but no biggie. I am resigned to the fact this bike was not set up for Bluetooth, less convenient for sure, but this bike is awesome, wired or wireless... PERIOD!!!!!!

Unless you happen to be one of the very few unlucky one's with a lemon, you would then have to be a person so spoiled that NOTHING will EVER satisfy you in life because you are fundamentally uncontent at your very core not to appreciate this AWESOME feat of engineering!!!!

I'm just sayin'!!!!

WGM
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: SHIRLEY,NEW YORK
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 NAV,XM

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by WGM » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 pm

WELL I GOT MY BIKE BACK YESTER DAY . I HAVE TO SAY IT SHIFTS GREAT . IT FEELS SO DIFFERENT YOU CAN SHIFT EASY OR HARD . THAY CHANGED SOME SHIFTER RELATED PARTS ONLEY .

paul53090
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: West Bend, WI
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by paul53090 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm

I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. 2007 Gl1800 heated seats/grips and navi with 8,200 miles (yes 8k). Tranny is acting up going from 4th to 5th. Sounds the same as rpg described. Started around 6,800 and is getting worse. Very frustrating..... And I don't have the money to fix it so its just going to sit. Will be the last Honda I ever buy.

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by Big Blue UK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 am

Mine 2002 has seemed to have developed a shift issue from 4th > 5th, seems to shift ok then about a second after I release the clutch it feels like it snatches. slow or quick shifting makes no difference. done only 8000 miles
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

peppilepew
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Hampton, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by peppilepew » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am

1drumlover wrote: Unless you happen to be one of the very few unlucky one's with a lemon, you would then have to be a person so spoiled that NOTHING will EVER satisfy you in life because you are fundamentally uncontent at your very core not to appreciate this AWESOME feat of engineering!!!!

I'm just sayin'!!!!
I understand mechanical things better than most. I also understand arrogance. Arrogance comes from sitting atop of those striving to be you. We think we have the best, so why work to make it better? Complacency creates stagnation, which allows others to overtake our position. As for the transmission issue, Honda knows there is an issue but refuses to engineer a solution because of the cost involved. Changing the design would be admitting there is a problem. All the bikes that have had fork failures would be up their poop chute looking for reimbursement. It is a money issue. My engine has a bearing or chain noise that is getting louder and louder. I brought it to the area reps attention. His reply was "it sounds like a goldwing to me". LOL. When the engine blows up, it will detonate at some point, they can replace the engine assembly. So if you think your one of the lucky ones, then rethink how you think. You shouldn't spend 25K and have to be "lucky". Stir the pot, and the stink comes to the top.

User avatar
Wingrider44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Leighton, IA
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by Wingrider44 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:40 pm

peppilepew wrote:
I understand mechanical things better than most. I also understand arrogance. Arrogance comes from sitting atop of those striving to be you. We think we have the best, so why work to make it better? Complacency creates stagnation, which allows others to overtake our position. As for the transmission issue, Honda knows there is an issue but refuses to engineer a solution because of the cost involved. Changing the design would be admitting there is a problem. All the bikes that have had fork failures would be up their poop chute looking for reimbursement. It is a money issue. My engine has a bearing or chain noise that is getting louder and louder. I brought it to the area reps attention. His reply was "it sounds like a goldwing to me". LOL. When the engine blows up, it will detonate at some point, they can replace the engine assembly. So if you think your one of the lucky ones, then rethink how you think. You shouldn't spend 25K and have to be "lucky". Stir the pot, and the stink comes to the top.
peppilepew,
Your comments above are just a little odorous. Pun intended. For somebody professing to possess such great mechanical understanding, you don't appear to have much understanding of business. First of all, if you were to endeavor to produce a mass produced machine such as the Honda Gold Wing that is perfect in every way for every variant of use/abuse of every individual owner, the cost would be so prohibitive that no one could afford it. So as with all such matters, compromises have to be made. These include a certain acceptable failure rate of various components of the machine. In order to protect the consumer to a certain extent of this failure rate, the company offers a warranty. The company's goal is to provide a product that the consumer can afford to buy while the company receives a reasonable profit. And NO........profit is NOT a dirty word. Continual mechanical breakdowns of a consistant nature (as in transmissions) is not a formula for making reasonable profit. Or indeed to stay in business.
If you're so worried about having to be "lucky" with your Honda Gold Wing purchase, maybe another brand would suit you better. In the meantime, I'm going to put another pile of miles on my GL1800 on top of the 52000 I already have racked up on the old girl. And if it breaks down? Well it breaks down. But my history with all the different wings I've owned over many years is that my odds are very good indeed that the bike will get me back home without incident.
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

peppilepew
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Hampton, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by peppilepew » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Wingrider44 wrote:
peppilepew wrote:
I understand mechanical things better than most. I also understand arrogance. Arrogance comes from sitting atop of those striving to be you. We think we have the best, so why work to make it better? Complacency creates stagnation, which allows others to overtake our position. As for the transmission issue, Honda knows there is an issue but refuses to engineer a solution because of the cost involved. Changing the design would be admitting there is a problem. All the bikes that have had fork failures would be up their poop chute looking for reimbursement. It is a money issue. My engine has a bearing or chain noise that is getting louder and louder. I brought it to the area reps attention. His reply was "it sounds like a goldwing to me". LOL. When the engine blows up, it will detonate at some point, they can replace the engine assembly. So if you think your one of the lucky ones, then rethink how you think. You shouldn't spend 25K and have to be "lucky". Stir the pot, and the stink comes to the top.
peppilepew,
Your comments above are just a little odorous. Pun intended. For somebody professing to possess such great mechanical understanding, you don't appear to have much understanding of business. First of all, if you were to endeavor to produce a mass produced machine such as the Honda Gold Wing that is perfect in every way for every variant of use/abuse of every individual owner, the cost would be so prohibitive that no one could afford it. So as with all such matters, compromises have to be made. These include a certain acceptable failure rate of various components of the machine. In order to protect the consumer to a certain extent of this failure rate, the company offers a warranty. The company's goal is to provide a product that the consumer can afford to buy while the company receives a reasonable profit. And NO........profit is NOT a dirty word. Continual mechanical breakdowns of a consistant nature (as in transmissions) is not a formula for making reasonable profit. Or indeed to stay in business.
If you're so worried about having to be "lucky" with your Honda Gold Wing purchase, maybe another brand would suit you better. In the meantime, I'm going to put another pile of miles on my GL1800 on top of the 52000 I already have racked up on the old girl. And if it breaks down? Well it breaks down. But my history with all the different wings I've owned over many years is that my odds are very good indeed that the bike will get me back home without incident.
You misunderstand. It is about loyalty to the customers that place dividends in the shareholders pockets. I am not interested in another brand. I could have purchased any make and model. I am in business. I never said profit was a dirty word. I started with nothing 17 years ago. I repair transmissions for a living. I am self taught in business and posses great mechanical aptitude. The mechanical aptitude was a gift. I repair most everything that breaks myself. Common sense rules. Your saying that there are few failures? How many are acceptable? When your trans fails and costs you 2500.00 of your hard earned dollars, or you are without it for 2 months, how would you feel knowing that Honda could have prevented it with a few simple engineering changes? I may at that point, smell something odoriferous blowing in the wind. :) Many times the opportunity for other problems like leaks to develop after a major repair arise. Did you miss the part where the area rep told me my engine sounding like a washing machine with bad bearings was normal? How about the 1520.00 seat I just purchased. They were lining up with 2nd generation wings for new seats at the Ultimate booth in lake George. Call Ultimate and ask him. A few of the normal sized people had considered selling their bike because they were so uncomfortable. The tunnel needs to be narrower, and the side supports were too high for all of those that had the seat replaced. I talked with them. I didn't see the Harley owners lined up. Harley listens to their customers. They had to. We can thank the Japanese for much of the improvements in just about anything we purchase from the transportation market. Harley markets a multitude of different seats to satisfy their customers. You can test them without purchasing. The trouble is that we are conditioned to accept mediocrity. A warranty isn't an excuse to roll the dice. So many of them just keep installing a high failure part knowing the potential outcome. Keep the line moving and we will repair it later under warranty. They don't all fail in warranty. These forum threads are a source of information for all manufactures. We must voice our concerns for them to realize that we want the best possible product for our dollar. I love my 1800. 10k + since purchasing it new last August. Came new with a cut seat and a bad engine bearing. The 1800 from what I can see will be around for some time. The F6B and Valkyre are evidence that Honda will be making this engine for many more years. Why not correct the shift fork issue? Why not offer as an option, three different styles of seats? Charge us a moderate fee to select a different seat. As to cost of manufacturing a product perfect in every way, controllable indeed. Changing the design and manufacturing process doesn't cost all that much. Most manufactures like Honda, assemble units from parts made by outside vendors.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19413
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 am

The manufacturers have a fairly extensive engineering, test, assembly, road test process, in hopes that they find most of the problems before a product ever makes it to manufacturing. There are many iterations as various bugs are worked out.

That said, an engineering weakness may only show up in bikes that are ridden a specific way, after a certain number of miles. Weaknesses such as these are quite likely to not be discovered until long after the initial product makes it to manufacturing. Once this happens to a statistically significant number of bikes, the manufacturer examines the failures, determines a root cause, and decides at that point what to do about it. If it is a severe problem that is likely to affect most bikes at some point, or it is a safety issue (and thereby mandated), they will issue a recall, to fix the problem on all existing bikes. This is obviously extremely costly.

If it's a problem that will only affect some bikes, they may decide to just upgrade future versions of the bikes. Sometimes, as in the case of my 1984 750 Interceptor, they will issue a "silent warranty" or "silent recall." Honda didn't issue a recall for the pitting cams problem on my Interceptor, but when I showed up at the dealership with my out-of-warranty bike coughing and sputtering due to pitted cams, it was fixed for the cost of an oil change.

There were many, many problems with the GL1500. On a bike as complex as the Goldwing, there are going to be problems. Transmissions were beefed up, universal joints were changed. That's one of the main reasons I sought out a late model GL1500, to take advantage of these improvements.

The shift fork issue on the GL1800 has been around for a while, and honestly, after having suffered through a similar issue on GL1500 engines, I'm surprised Honda allowed it to be engineered into the GL1800. In any case, it's an issue that should have been corrected by now, at the very least in new models going forward, in my opinion. Perhaps it has, and we simply aren't aware of it - and won't be, until it becomes apparent that today's GL1800's aren't suffering from transmission failures like the older bikes.

peppilepew
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Hampton, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by peppilepew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:50 am

If it's a problem that will only affect some bikes, they may decide to just upgrade future versions of the bikes. Sometimes, as in the case of my 1984 750 Interceptor, they will issue a "silent warranty" or "silent recall." Honda didn't issue a recall for the pitting cams problem on my Interceptor, but when I showed up at the dealership with my out-of-warranty bike coughing and sputtering due to pitted cams, it was fixed for the cost of an oil change.

Scott is correct.

The out of warranty repair procedure is know as a silent campaign. Honda is replacing a frame on a 2002 for no charge for one of the members in my chapter. Honda is by far one of the best at making their customers happy. Toyota is in my opinion the absolute best at taking responsibility for their products. I still miss my 1500. Wish I kept it!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19413
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am

Incidentally, I recall that the mechanic who had just spent two full days pulling the engine on my Interceptor, replacing the cams, and installing the new lubrication system to keep it from happening again, told me when I picked it up, "just make sure you don't crash it now!"

A week and a half later, I t-boned a pickup truck who turned left in front of me, and destroyed the bike. :)

peppilepew
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Hampton, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by peppilepew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 am

WingAdmin wrote:Incidentally, I recall that the mechanic who had just spent two full days pulling the engine on my Interceptor, replacing the cams, and installing the new lubrication system to keep it from happening again, told me when I picked it up, "just make sure you don't crash it now!"

A week and a half later, I t-boned a pickup truck who turned left in front of me, and destroyed the bike. :)
Ouch! Were you hurt?

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by themainviking » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:45 am

peppilepew wrote:I repair transmissions for a living.
Now I understand your insistence on Honda's transmission problems.
peppilepew wrote:How about the 1520.00 seat I just purchased. They were lining up with 2nd generation wings for new seats at the Ultimate booth in lake George. Call Ultimate and ask him. A few of the normal sized people had considered selling their bike because they were so uncomfortable. The tunnel needs to be narrower, and the side supports were too high for all of those that had the seat replaced. I talked with them. I didn't see the Harley owners lined up.
This is the subject that I have been expounding on for the past three years, since moving from a Harley, which had a seat I could sit for long periods of riding, to this GL1800, with a seat that crippled me in only a couple of hours. I have been advertising the Ultimate seat for two of those three years, since I found it. I have been telling people that Harley already knows how to make seats for motorcycles, and Honda should take a page out of their playbook in this regard. I got to meet the owner of Ultimate seats for the first time this year at Lake George/Americade, and I thanked him personally for the seat his people made for me. I also love my Goldwing GL1800, and was willing to put a seat on it. I have transmission problems now, seemed to start this year, and are concerned with first to second shifts, through neutral. Sometimes, they just stop in neutral, and I need to shift again to get to second. Is this a deal breaker? Not on your life. This smooth, vibration free bike allows me to ride all I could want to, anytime I want to. I will accept the downside. I probably spent more on my Harleys over the years, rebuilding top ends and bottom ends which were not known for longevity, and the new Twin Cam engines are not known for reliability, with their plastic sacrificial cam chain guide or support, or whatever they call it, that ends up in the oil pump, just prior to the loss of an engine for oil starvation. Everybody seems to have problems and we either accept the risk, and buy that brand, or do not, and so, buy a different brand. I rode a couple of the new Indians, by Polaris, at Americade, and they are shaping up pretty nice ----- Ha. Not happnin'. Nuthin' can compare to these Goldwings.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

peppilepew
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: Hampton, New Hampshire
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 (Sold)
2000 Gl1500 Se (Sold)
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by peppilepew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:39 pm

themainviking wrote:
peppilepew wrote:I repair transmissions for a living.
Now I understand your insistence on Honda's transmission problems.
peppilepew wrote:How about the 1520.00 seat I just purchased. They were lining up with 2nd generation wings for new seats at the Ultimate booth in lake George. Call Ultimate and ask him. A few of the normal sized people had considered selling their bike because they were so uncomfortable. The tunnel needs to be narrower, and the side supports were too high for all of those that had the seat replaced. I talked with them. I didn't see the Harley owners lined up.
This is the subject that I have been expounding on for the past three years, since moving from a Harley, which had a seat I could sit for long periods of riding, to this GL1800, with a seat that crippled me in only a couple of hours. I have been advertising the Ultimate seat for two of those three years, since I found it. I have been telling people that Harley already knows how to make seats for motorcycles, and Honda should take a page out of their playbook in this regard. I got to meet the owner of Ultimate seats for the first time this year at Lake George/Americade, and I thanked him personally for the seat his people made for me. I also love my Goldwing GL1800, and was willing to put a seat on it. I have transmission problems now, seemed to start this year, and are concerned with first to second shifts, through neutral. Sometimes, they just stop in neutral, and I need to shift again to get to second. Is this a deal breaker? Not on your life. This smooth, vibration free bike allows me to ride all I could want to, anytime I want to. I will accept the downside. I probably spent more on my Harleys over the years, rebuilding top ends and bottom ends which were not known for longevity, and the new Twin Cam engines are not known for reliability, with their plastic sacrificial cam chain guide or support, or whatever they call it, that ends up in the oil pump, just prior to the loss of an engine for oil starvation. Everybody seems to have problems and we either accept the risk, and buy that brand, or do not, and so, buy a different brand. I rode a couple of the new Indians, by Polaris, at Americade, and they are shaping up pretty nice ----- Ha. Not happnin'. Nuthin' can compare to these Goldwings.
I feel for you. My 2012 is getting a little touchy 1-2. It may just be the different foot apparel I use. Switching between two different pairs of boots, and sneakers may be effecting mussel memory. Every time it bangs from 2nd to neutral it has the chance to chip gears and bend forks. Mine has issues that will be looked at when our short riding season ends.

I was very impressed with ultimate's product. Their heated seat for the wing weighs about 22 pounds. I spent about 25 minutes with him. My bottom feels like it died and went to heaven. It will get more comfortable with time.

Keep us posted. Like you, I won't give up my wing. I love the bike, just despise corporations. I see repeated part failures in automotive transmissions.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19413
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 pm

peppilepew wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Incidentally, I recall that the mechanic who had just spent two full days pulling the engine on my Interceptor, replacing the cams, and installing the new lubrication system to keep it from happening again, told me when I picked it up, "just make sure you don't crash it now!"

A week and a half later, I t-boned a pickup truck who turned left in front of me, and destroyed the bike. :)
Ouch! Were you hurt?
I broke a few bones and wasn't walking very well for the next 6 months or so, but I made a full recovery. Still have two toes that don't bend anymore as a result. :)

GLRT
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: New prague, Mn
Motorcycle: Many diverse types and brands - mostly reverse trikes right now
Contact:

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by GLRT » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am

At 129,000 miles I have never experienced any transmission problems except for the warm off idle hesitation which I fixed.
A simple 2200 ohm resister in the Ambient air temp sensor will cure the galloping idle and off idle jerky shifting.

There have been reports of transmission problems and some rear drive problems but the cause has never been determined. As usual some believe it's oil but this is never the case. It could be tolerance stacking or some other manufacturer related inconsistency.
Some believe problems are rider initiated which is also a possibility. There have been reports of transmissions being repaired using an old technique of back cutting the dogs. While back cutting does work and it is a method we used back in the early 80's on Yamaha transmissions it does not bring the cause to light it only patched up the root cause. In the Yamaha case a re shim on the gear spacing was the real fix and tolerance staking was the root cause. Over aggressive shift lever stomping also contributed to the 2nd gear slipping as the aggressive shifting would bend the shift forks just enough to bring the tolerance problems to light.
To date no one has actually verified a physical problem exists with the design or subsequent assemblies. Without proof of a manufactured defect no logical solution many be submitted only the current patches.
I believe the failure rates are well within manufacture standards, probably in the one tenth of one percent range. Keep in mind failures are like the lottery. You hear about the winner but not the 26 million losers.

We have our booth reserved as of today



Ohiobiker43078
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Urbana, Ohio
Motorcycle: 09 GL1800, 91 ST 1100
07 VTX 1300, 07 VLX 600, 09 Rebel 250

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by Ohiobiker43078 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:36 pm

I bought my bike new in 09 toward the end of the summer put 2000 miles on it that year. I had one instance of it jumping out of 5th and back into 4th that first year. Over the next several summers I had several instances each year. I was thinking it was my fault, you know lazy shifting. Talked to service manager and was told " don't worry they all do that".
Fast forward to June 6th this year. I was merging into the outer belt grabbed 5th as I entered the middle lane. Bam it jumped out of 5th but didn't go into 4th. It was banging and rattling, making all kinds of noise. I couldn't get it back into 5th or 4th. Because of where I was I couldn't just coast to the side and try to gently work it into gear. I was afraid of getting run over. I forced it into 5th with great difficulty and a big clunk.
I got off the interstate at the next exit. Tried shifting through the gears. 5th gear was messed up for sure. Now when it would go into 5th it didn't feel right. After several seconds the bike would jerk and it would go all the way into 5th.
I was sick. The Bike only had 22,000 miles on it. It Was serviced using only honda parts and fluids and more frequently than required. I was lucky enough to have purchased the extended warranty. I just got it back last week. The first dealer I called couldn't work on it for "at least 3 months". The second told me it would be "3 weeks before they could get to it". I didn't like it but they got the job. They didn't tell me that after they got to it, it would take another 6 or 7 weeks to get it back to me.
Repair was 3 gears replaced, all the shift forks replaced, and the shift drum.
I just hope it doesn't happen again. Shot this years riding.
Seems like it could be a safety issue if your bikes jumps out of gear on a busy interstate and you find yourself in the middle of rush hour traffic and no way of getting to the side.

User avatar
urbanmadness
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: Sacramento, California
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by urbanmadness » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Incidentally, I recall that the mechanic who had just spent two full days pulling the engine on my Interceptor, replacing the cams, and installing the new lubrication system to keep it from happening again, told me when I picked it up, "just make sure you don't crash it now!"

A week and a half later, I t-boned a pickup truck who turned left in front of me, and destroyed the bike. :)
Why must you tell me such sad things, Scott. I'm not a crotch rocket guy, but I always loved the Intercepter.....

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19413
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:55 pm

urbanmadness wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Incidentally, I recall that the mechanic who had just spent two full days pulling the engine on my Interceptor, replacing the cams, and installing the new lubrication system to keep it from happening again, told me when I picked it up, "just make sure you don't crash it now!"

A week and a half later, I t-boned a pickup truck who turned left in front of me, and destroyed the bike. :)
Why must you tell me such sad things, Scott. I'm not a crotch rocket guy, but I always loved the Intercepter.....
Here's mine...

My 1984 750 Interceptor
My 1984 750 Interceptor


cutter426
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 am
Location: Oologah OK
Motorcycle: 2010 1800 motortrike

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by cutter426 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:00 am

I have a 2010 Goldwing , I bought it with 4000 miles on it and it has been trikes with a Motor Trike conversion kit . I have a problem with it jumping out of gear at times , will be riding a long and it will down shift . I have always thought it was the trike kit . I have heel toe shift and was told to really push it down hard each time I shift up .

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 611
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by joeincalif » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:52 am

My problem with my 02 wing was worrying about the frame cracking. Sure Honda finally recalled them but they are still cracking in places other then where Honda did not re weld them.
Several people have had GHOST SHIFTING on their 1800 wings, I heard Honda changed the gear manufacturer but I do not know what year that happened. Honda is known for not standing up to problems. Look how long it took them to admit threy had a problem with the frame cracking on the early 01 - 04 wings. Also the over heating problems , Honda sent out a sticker to put in the owners manual that read IF THE BIKE GETS HOT PULL OVER AND LET IT COOL DOWN before they finally recalled the bikes and did changed a few things.
And how many times do they have to do a brake recall before they get it right.
After 2 1800's, an 02 and an 08 I'm back on a 97SE 1500 and loving it.
For the price of a new wing you should not have to worry about a major failure.
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

dhood6390
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by dhood6390 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 am

While I hoped it would not happen to me...it has! Seems as though my 2010 GL1800 has the dreaded "ghost shift" issues discussed by many. While riding along around 40mph, shift into 5th gear and hear the reported "CLUNK" when I roll on the throttle. Had previously took her into the only Honda dealer for thousands of mile...yes, it is hard to live in Hawaii, mentioned that she seemed to jump into 5th gear and was told that it was my "short shifting". Only noticed it once or twice after it first surfaced...well that was now over a year ago and now she is no longer under warranty and the problem has gotten worse! Dealer now says that it will be an expensive repair...go figure! Tried to talk to Honda customer service to see if there was relief to a well documented problem, but was met with, "it not a common enough problem". Wish I had the luxury of other dealers to work with or even a "great guy with a lot of Goldwing knowledge"! Hopefully other will have better luck! Nothing like being where you can ride all year long but now can only look at her until she gets repaired. :cry:

DayTripper
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am
Location: Vancouver, WA
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by DayTripper » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:46 am

I don't write much on this forum but I read a lot. I've had a 2010 goldwing ABS since May of 2011, got it with about 9500 miles on it from a dealer and it carried a standard warranty. Still spent 25K for it, used it to commute mostly through the Portland Or area. I've had some of what is known as Ghost shifting from the very start but just chocked it up to my way of driving and never heard of the transmission problems with the gl1800 until June of 2016 when it started making a clicking noise in neutral. Well I enjoyed it for five years and now has 87,000 miles on it and is sitting in my garage in about 100 pieces (maybe more). I wasn't about to spend 4 or 5K having a dealer repair it so decided to do it myself since I retired in July. Too bad I missed out on the summer riding season this year but it has been an experience taking this machine apart. Turns out the bad part is a bent center shifter fork, only a $35 part, add a few seals, put in a new water pump, new clutch and misc stuff and it is only about $500 in parts. If I followed that up with all the special Honda tools required (which I won't) and a couple of jacks to remove the motor safely it would double the cost. I bought a few of the tools needed mainly the jacks and large wrenches. In all I'm into the repair at about $1000. Soon as I get the time I will start reassembling it and hopefully it will serve me for a long time after.
I just wish I knew more about the "Ghost Shifting" and other transmission problems when I first bought it so I could have involved the dealership from the start. Maybe I wouldn't be the one repairing it now. Everyone I talked to before I bought it told me only good things about them so I thought it would last forever without any problems. Who would have thunk it! I will sure let anyone I see considering buying the Goldwing know what problems they could face down the road once out of warranty.

DayTripper
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:16 am
Location: Vancouver, WA
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 ABS

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by DayTripper » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:15 am

well after a few weeks I finally found the time to reassemble this beast and I must say that no matter how many photos you take it still draws blanks on the exact procedures of the disassembly. Had to remove the top shelter 3 times because I forgot to do something when it was off. But today it was my first ride on it and it felt really good. The shifts are really positive although still clunky so it makes me think I shift to fast or hard, just don't know if a change in shifting will make any difference. Can't even pin point what could have caused the bent shifter fork in the first place. But for now I'm just going to enjoy the ride as a retired person.

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: GL1800 transmission complaints

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:05 am

The day I have been expecting since I bought the 2002 GL1800 trike in 2013 with 7,000 miles on the clock has arrived. The snatching when changing up into 5th it had when I bought it, that never got any worse, threw a wobbly last weekend. Only done 25,000 miles. My guess is it started with very low mileage but out of warranty. If memory serves me without looking for the documents, it came from Daytona Beach in 2007 covering only 4,000 miles, chap I bought it from said it was like it then, all Honda did was stick two fingers up. My first bike 43 years ago was a Honda, I have loved the GoldWing since I fist saw one, rode nothing else since my first GoldWing 35 years ago in 1982. Have had more issues with 4 years GL1800 ownership, than all my other GoldWings in the previous 31 years put together. Now this, given its mileage Honda should at least have had the decency to offer parts at a discount, if not free. I thought my confidence in Honda was low last week. Should I be thinking I am in for a game of chance, or wondering if the new parts may be from a sub standard batch, or if brand new manufactured parts are asked for, is that what I will get.


If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Post Reply