GL1800 Reverse issues


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Post Reply
robokp66
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 am
Location: Baltic, Connecticut
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing

GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by robokp66 »



Hello,
I own a 2001 Goldwing GL1800 which now has 100,000 miles on her. I am a tad handicapped with left leg / foot injuries so when ever I have to back up, I NEED to use the reverse button which up until now- has not had an issue. BUT just two weeks ago I placed an order for a Motor Trike Razor trike kit and it will be installed as soon as they can ship it to the east coast. My bike must have heard that she will be having a "cosmetic operation" because just two days ago I pressed that reverse button and it just did NOTHING at all, the light went on BUT that was all that happened. SO I had to push the bike back a bit the best that I could and park it out of the way. The next day I went for a ride, tried the reverse and it worked. Now the reverse will work sometimes and at times not, I was told that the reverse works off of the starter so I am a bit worried that it might not start next. Does anyone now about a reverse issue and what I need to do to correct it with out spending thousands of dollars on it?? I would be very happy to hear from anyone who might know how to fix this issue- Thank You!!


User avatar
bayoudave
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Jena, LA
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by bayoudave »

My guess would be that the switch has a little corrosion issue. Goldwing switches are commonly plagued with dirt and grim issues. I would suggest that you get some contact cleaner, can be found at Radio Shack, and clean the switch. Hope this helps.
2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR
Image
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

robokp66 wrote:Hello,
I own a 2001 Goldwing GL1800 which now has 100,000 miles on her. I am a tad handicapped with left leg / foot injuries so when ever I have to back up, I NEED to use the reverse button which up until now- has not had an issue. BUT just two weeks ago I placed an order for a Motor Trike Razor trike kit and it will be installed as soon as they can ship it to the east coast. My bike must have heard that she will be having a "cosmetic operation" because just two days ago I pressed that reverse button and it just did NOTHING at all, the light went on BUT that was all that happened. SO I had to push the bike back a bit the best that I could and park it out of the way. The next day I went for a ride, tried the reverse and it worked. Now the reverse will work sometimes and at times not, I was told that the reverse works off of the starter so I am a bit worried that it might not start next. Does anyone now about a reverse issue and what I need to do to correct it with out spending thousands of dollars on it?? I would be very happy to hear from anyone who might know how to fix this issue- Thank You!!
Did you by chance have the side stand down? It won't backup if it's down. Usually if it's a dirty switch, you won't get the reverse light on.
wingrider24
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: Crawfordville, Fl
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by wingrider24 »

RoBokp66, did you get your issue fixed? If so, what did you find out. I have a 2001 GL1800 Goldwing and today the reverse light would not come on. I tried several times and it finally came on and worked fine. The next time, the light would not come on and no reverse. Several times later, the light came on and it worked. Now I can't get the light on and it will not work. Maybe your fix might help me. Thanks.
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

wingrider24 wrote:RoBokp66, did you get your issue fixed? If so, what did you find out. I have a 2001 GL1800 Goldwing and today the reverse light would not come on. I tried several times and it finally came on and worked fine. The next time, the light would not come on and no reverse. Several times later, the light came on and it worked. Now I can't get the light on and it will not work. Maybe your fix might help me. Thanks.
Try lubing the actuator cables with cable lube. They are located under the right side chrome engine cover(oil dip stick) near the top rear of the engine. After you spray some lube on them, turn on the key and cycle them about 5 or 6 times using the reverse system switch. Make sure you get a good neutral light on and a good reverse light on every time they cycle.
User avatar
buffdaddy55
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Ochlocknee, Ga USA
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade, 2002 GL1800-Illusion Red,1981 CB650C
Contact:

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by buffdaddy55 »

techdude: do you disconnect the cables or just spray it on? I have reverse issues with my '02-1800
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

Just spray it on them and cycle the actuator from neutral to reverse and back to neutral about 5 times. Make sure you get a good reverse light and good neutral light every time. If it still doesn't work correctly, the cables may need to be adjusted.
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

I also have a 2005 1800 and when I change the air filter the reverse light will not come on I’ve tried spraying cleaner on the switch tried leaving the actuator cables nothing seems to work is there something by the air filter that I might have unplugged or a wire loose
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rwhite1968 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am I also have a 2005 1800 and when I change the air filter the reverse light will not come on I’ve tried spraying cleaner on the switch tried leaving the actuator cables nothing seems to work is there something by the air filter that I might have unplugged or a wire loose
What does it do when you push the reverse shift switch? Noises, lights, anything? Are you getting a solid neural light?
DaveO430
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by DaveO430 »

Did you unplug the cruise/reverse control module? It's on top of the air cleaner. Does the cruise work?
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

Techdude2000 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:49 am
Rwhite1968 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am I also have a 2005 1800 and when I change the air filter the reverse light will not come on I’ve tried spraying cleaner on the switch tried leaving the actuator cables nothing seems to work is there something by the air filter that I might have unplugged or a wire loose
What does it do when you push the reverse shift switch? Noises, lights, anything? Are you getting a solid neural light?
The neutral light goes out I hear a clicking under the seat for just a second yes I get a solid neutral light when I push it again just not a reverse light does not go into reverse Everything else seems to work cruise control hazard lights everything on that side of the handle bar
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

The clik comes from behind the right saddlebag
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rwhite1968 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm The clik comes from behind the right saddlebag
Ok, first thing to check is a possible bent pin on the cruise/reverse control module plugs. Do you still have the shelter off?
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

No I do not guess I can pull it back off Friday where is that part located?
Techdude2000
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: Lexington, KY
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rwhite1968 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm No I do not guess I can pull it back off Friday where is that part located?
It’s on the top of the bracket that holds the ECM. It is black with two plugs on the left side, the ECM is just below it with 3 plugs on it. If it checks out, then pull the relay rails out of their cover under the seat and unplug the relays one at a time and plug them back in, then try it again.
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

I pulled the relays out and plug them back in one at a time and that did not help I will try the other Friday if I can get off work tomorrow I’ll try it tomorrow
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

Thank you I don’t know what was wrong but when I pulled it all back apart unplugged all the ECM and control module for the cruise and plug it all back in it started working Could not tell if a plug was bent or not but working better now
DaveO430
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by DaveO430 »

I never unplug those things when doing an air filter, just lay them over out of the way, mounting bracket and all.
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

I pulled the cowl back off to put a new glove box lid on did not unplug the cruise control or ECM or reverse plugs now it’s doing the same thing again the reverse light will not come on is there something near that could be shorted out or a loose ground
DaveO430
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by DaveO430 »

Have a good look at the connectors to the control unit, sometimes a terminal will get pushed back out of a connector and not make good contact. Also look at the pins in the control unit and make sure they are all straight.
Rwhite1968
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Rector Arkansas
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing anniversary edition

Re: GL1800 Reverse issues

Post by Rwhite1968 »

Everything looks good there . I accidentally touched some wires on the top right side of the faring there are three plugs with a lot of wires going through them and the reverse light came on so I unplugged those plugs one at a time and they were full of dirt maybe a dirt dauber her sand of some kind and all in around all the plugs clean those out put them back together everything works as it should Thanks for all the help


Post Reply