Timing Chain Slack Adjustment

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 Goldwing
2000 Harley Ultra Classic
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Timing Chain Slack Adjustment

Post by Tepcro »

Has anyone got a tutorial with some pictures (or without) on how to Timing Chain Slack Adjustment?

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Re: Timing Chain Slack Adjustment

Post by PastoT »

GL1800 should adjust automatically. It has a spring loaded tensioner. I suppose if you had a heap of miles on it (200k or more) you might be right, but I've not heard of any issue with chain tensioner unless it is faulty or flat wore out. If you're new to the 1800 you might be hearing the injectors clicking, try some Lucas fuel additive, they quiet right down and clean the injectors nicely. My 02 has almost 100k and haven't noticed a single issue with anything short of an occasionally stuck switch. Also use a good name brand fuel (I like Chevron and Shell), with the falling prices there is little reason to skimp, Chevron cleans the engine nicely with its techron additive.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Tepcro
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Post by Tepcro »

Thank you PastoT
What does PastoT stand for, if you dont mind me asking?
Tepcro
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Post by Tepcro »

What I really hear is like a thumping rattle that usually occurs when I lug it when warmed up.
I really cant describe the sound other than like a shaft in the gear box with a bunch of side play where it is rattling around.
I tried using Lucas Synthetic 20-50 oil hoping that when warm the rattling would let up but it is the same.
It could be that the sound is normal to 1800 Goldwing as this is the only one I've ever rode
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Hmmm... First The 1800 Shouldn't Be Lugged. Shift Above 2000 Rpm, Around 2500 Is Manual Spec. I Use 10-40 Mobil T1 From 5 To 125 Degrees F Without Issue. The Lucas I Use Is The Additive For Top End Lube And Fuel System Cleaning.The Small Bottle WillTreat Three Tanks. I Only Use It About Every Fourth Tank Less I Get Chevron. You Might Visit A Dairy Queen And Listen A Few Other GoldwingS. Lol Pardon The Caps, I'm On My Phone!
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 1987 GL1200A Previous 2016 F6B 3 1985 GL1200A's GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands + 2014 CanAm

Post by WINGER3 »

A PastoT said "do not lug the Goldwing engine", what's going on is the engine when lugged, is fighting with its compression stroke because it is not getting enough power to overcome the compression and pull the bike at the same time, always keep it above 2000RPM or you will destroy it, rods or crank bearings or both. In town shift down, on the road give it enough power to pull the load and it will last 3-500000 mi just with lube and love, TLC for short. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT
Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883 (sold)
Goldwing SE 1999
Goldwing GL 1800 2008 (USA version)

Post by Gdgiò »

Hello all, hope you all are doing well..
i have been through this topics and similar since i think, this is the same situation I have with my 2008 GW 1800 with 38000miles.
actually is not a big issue, but with a so perfect bike ,sometimes is annoyng ,since it comes uo any now and then.

I could note identify any good tips reading the threads so my question ( if i missed that in other topics) is there a method how to identify if the rubbing is coming from chain rather than alternator?
in any case ,is there anything can be done to dump down that?...any suggestion?

thanks
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Gdgiò wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am Hello all, hope you all are doing well..
i have been through this topics and similar since i think, this is the same situation I have with my 2008 GW 1800 with 38000miles.
actually is not a big issue, but with a so perfect bike ,sometimes is annoyng ,since it comes uo any now and then.

I could note identify any good tips reading the threads so my question ( if i missed that in other topics) is there a method how to identify if the rubbing is coming from chain rather than alternator?
in any case ,is there anything can be done to dump down that?...any suggestion?

thanks
I'll help you. Can you make a video of the noise, post vid on u-tube, and post the link to the vid here for others to hear ??? Hint ... if you cannot hear the noise in the vid, neither will anyone else.

If the noise is under load, center stand the Wing, make sure the rear wheel is off the ground, and "power brake" the rear wheel to make the noise. Be careful ... don't burn up your clutch.

My guess says it is ADG (alternator drive gear) noise.
Gdgiò
Motorcycle: Yamaha dragstar Classic (sold)
HD883 (sold)
Goldwing SE 1999
Goldwing GL 1800 2008 (USA version)

Post by Gdgiò »

Hi all folks
Even if long slow reply ( difficult for me to access my bike during covid time) I managed to start my riding season again and again I am back on this issue. Actually ,it seems you were right!
By tracking the noise , I came to conclusions that alternator is the guilty, probably the bearings.
I wish to overhaul it so I am looking for the ball bearings and the brushes.
I could identify the original OEM I'd numbers but now I would like to find the bearings type and dimensions to buy them from a normal bearing shop ( from Honda the price is unacceptable for such common spares)Also brushes dimensions I need for the same reason.
I could take the old ones as a sample reference, but we are in riding season and would like to have the parts in my hands before dismantling the alternator

Does anyone have such identification infos?...thanks
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

I don't have numbers or sizes but you can get brushes from cyclemax in Ohio and also get oem bearings from them on the oem side of their site. As far as expense goes you may be right about the price but you can not beat Honda's oem parts. I rather pay now and not worry about it again.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build.