GL 1800 radio volume question

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
a1sailboats
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

GL 1800 radio volume question

Post by a1sailboats »

Had recent work done, steering bearing and fork seal replacement, which required the removal of the windshield cowling etc. - now the automatic radio volume adjustment, which is supposed to increase the volume with the speed, seems to be working backwards. The radio actually gets quieter the faster I go, only to blast out at the stoplights. Question: Is it possible to wire something backwards that would cause this? or am I imagining this? I never used to go over 20 on the manual volume control, but now I am at 22-23, then have to lower the volume when I slow down, manually. Thanks ! - jim

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: GL 1800 radio volume question

Post by baumedagn »

It sounds like the intercom mute may have gotten out of adjustment. Try turning the intercom off and see if the problem goes away.
a1sailboats
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Post by a1sailboats »

turns out the volume control related to bike speed had been turned off somehow during the work. Restoring the selection to "medium" solved the problem. Great bike! - somewhat disappointed about the need for fork seal replacement and new steering bearing at only 24,000 miles. With Honda building these bikes since 1975 or so, these items should be overbuilt and last for many years. Take all the warranty repairs out of the salaries of the research and development people, and they would design stuff that does not break!
zgoldwingman
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800, 2003 SilverWing FCS600, 1983 CX500 C, 1983 FT500, 2004 Reflex NSS250, 1997 XR100

Post by zgoldwingman »

a1sailboats wrote:Had recent work done, steering bearing and fork seal replacement, which required the removal of the windshield cowling etc. - now the automatic radio volume adjustment, which is supposed to increase the volume with the speed, seems to be working backwards. The radio actually gets quieter the faster I go, only to blast out at the stoplights. Question: Is it possible to wire something backwards that would cause this? or am I imagining this? I never used to go over 20 on the manual volume control, but now I am at 22-23, then have to lower the volume when I slow down, manually. Thanks ! - jim
I think all the settings have a default, which they return to automatically if the harness to that feature is unplugged or the battery is disconnected. Example; the "Roger Beep" for the CB radio, which I hate on the RX end, goes to "ON" under those circumstances.
zgoldwingman
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800, 2003 SilverWing FCS600, 1983 CX500 C, 1983 FT500, 2004 Reflex NSS250, 1997 XR100

Post by zgoldwingman »

a1sailboats wrote:turns out the volume control related to bike speed had been turned off somehow during the work. Restoring the selection to "medium" solved the problem. Great bike! - somewhat disappointed about the need for fork seal replacement and new steering bearing at only 24,000 miles. With Honda building these bikes since 1975 or so, these items should be overbuilt and last for many years. Take all the warranty repairs out of the salaries of the research and development people, and they would design stuff that does not break!
LEFT FORK SEAL? Probably parked on sidestand a lot. Use centerstand for long periods. All the settings went back to default.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Left Fork seal, very likely the ADV (Anti-Dive Valve) is/was stuck at some point and that seizes the fork and if you hit a pot hole or anything it is an abrupt load on the front-end and with the fork locked will blow that seal lickitty split. A lot of 1800 riders disable the ADV, it rides a little cushier but If you like the ADV it means you MUST flush your brake system on schedule or sooner as it will eventually jam up. I like the ADV and had to replace the valve a few years ago, but I do flush my brake system annually and bleed it twice annually; no issue since. I have replaced fork seals though as I grabbed brakes hard before thundering over a 4-5 inch seam in the black top that bottomed out my suspension with the ADV engaged - left seal blew right there!

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"