GPS Update

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

GPS Update

Post by alwrmcusn »

Is there a less expensive place to purchase Garmin updates than direct from Garmin?
The GPS in my (new to me) GL1800 Motor Trike is way out of date.

Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: GPS Update

Post by Viking »

Yeah, if you have never updated, your maps are from 2006 or even 2005. You can do updates yourself, if you are computer literate and so inclined. Read all the posts on the site if you want to discover if you even want to do it yourself. Garmin sells an update for about $90 plus shipping, but even that update is two years old when you get it. There are quite a few threads on it here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1953
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23309
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12869
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6078

I hope this are some help
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

alwrmcusn

Post by alwrmcusn »

Those threads were not a lot of help, sorry.
Apparently EXPRESSFILES is no longer available.
I have not seen that Compact flash card used in my 2008 Navi in quite awhile also.
I also kinda get the impression that if I order that $95 update from Garmin that it may not actually work on my Navi??
Edit addition:
I just checked and my unit say it is Version 4.31 and is dated 2006. So apparently it is two years out of date when the bike was built??
I'm guessing that the V4.31 is firmware. Would the 2014.40 update that Garmin shows on their website include the latest firmware on the same card?
JFI: I very rarely use the GPS to pre-plan a complete route. I usually just input the address and when I get close enough then I follow it's directions. It is used most often as a "Go Home" assistant when I've ridden into unfamiliar areas and to let me have a quick check on the upcoming curvies.
I have entered a couple of addresses that are not quite accurate with my other GPS units or their known addresses.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

alwrmcusn wrote: I have not seen that Compact flash card used in my 2008 Navi in quite awhile also.

I also kinda get the impression that if I order that $95 update from Garmin that it may not actually work on my Navi??
Edit addition:
I just checked and my unit say it is Version 4.31 and is dated 2006. So apparently it is two years out of date when the bike was built??
I'm guessing that the V4.31 is firmware. Would the 2014.40 update that Garmin shows on their website include the latest firmware on the same card?
JFI: I very rarely use the GPS to pre-plan a complete route. I usually just input the address and when I get close enough then I follow it's directions. It is used most often as a "Go Home" assistant when I've ridden into unfamiliar areas and to let me have a quick check on the upcoming curvies.
I have entered a couple of addresses that are not quite accurate with my other GPS units or their known addresses.
If you search hard you can usually find CF cards. Tigerdirect and Newegg normally carry some version of them. Other people have had good luck with larger cards, such as 4GB and even 8GB, sometimes being able to put the full North America maps on one card, and sometimes not. I have never had that good fortune. I can only use 2GB cards, and so I split the maps. I put Canada, Alaska and the Northern U.S. down to about Kansas on one card, and the second gets the remainder of the U.S. and Mexico.

If you purchase the update from Garmin, it should have a newer firmware, and yes, 4.31 is the firmware you have now. There have been updates to it since your bike was made. There is a 4.6, a 4.7 and the latest is 4.9. You noticed that Garmins maps will give you 2014.40. We, who make our own are up to 2017.20 at present, and 2017.30 should be available soon. The only way to get to the newer maps is to make your own. This does take quite a lot of study and learning. Some of us have also been talked into providing home made maps for others. We end up losing Search by POI and also being able to program long routes, like from New York to L.A., but we can program in shorter pieces. I also mostly use my OEM GPS for go home. If I need anything that the Honda Navi cannot provide, I have Tom Tom, and Garmin stand alone units.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

alwrmcusn

Post by alwrmcusn »

I don't think my expertise will extend to "making my own". I don't really mind losing the POI side of things, In all my years with GPS (all in car units), I have only used it twice. The first time I ended up with about 250 "Smoky Bones" restaurants that took forever to get rid of! and the 2nd time I asked for Honda and Southern Honda Power Sports popped right up. I have three automotive GPS units, two that I used on a previous trike. I really do not want to have to remount one of them on this GL1800 but I may have to if I cannot come up with an update. $95 to Garmin for an update that appears to be several years out of date just seems a bit too much for me.