Which type of oil & Filter

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Which type of oil & Filter

Post by alwrmcusn »

1. I just purchased a 2008 GL1800 Navi Motor Trike. I have an audit copy of everything done to the bike when it was traded (prior to my purchase). The oil is indicated as GN4 10W30. I have been told it is NOT recommended to switch to synthetic if it currently has mineral type oil. Should I continue using the current type of oil? Is synthetic "better"?
2. I like and have used K & N oil filters for some time but was also told to only use the Honda oil filter. When I asked why, I was told it's a better filter but no reasoning why it might be better.
It seems that there are a lot of people who believe they are the voice of reason (smile).

Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.
tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Which type of oil & Filter

Post by tfdeputydawg »

alwrmcusn wrote:1. I just purchased a 2008 GL1800 Navi Motor Trike. I have an audit copy of everything done to the bike when it was traded (prior to my purchase). The oil is indicated as GN4 10W30. I have been told it is NOT recommended to switch to synthetic if it currently has mineral type oil. Should I continue using the current type of oil? Is synthetic "better"?
Whomever told you that knows not what they speak of :roll:
You can switch to synthetic.
I have realized the smoothest shifts ever using Mobile 1 T4 for motorcycles.
AutoZone in my area carries it.

2. I like and have used K & N oil filters for some time but was also told to only use the Honda oil filter. When I asked why, I was told it's a better filter but no reasoning why it might be better.
It slips my mind(easily done at my age)but I use the filters available at AutoZone where I get my Mobile 1 T4 synthetic

It seems that there are a lot of people who believe they are the voice of reason (smile).
There are many whom think they know better than I. They could change their minds or continue to be wrong :mrgreen: :roll: :lol:
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Well, you have experienced the "Voice of Reason in Accordance with the Honda Dealership", which is a load of hooey. They are recommending the products that they sell at excessively high pricing.

That said. Yes, synthetics are better than conventional oils, if they are the correct product for the application. Honda also offers synthetics and semi synthetics. The main requirement for motorcycle oils with the transmission and clutch in the same bath as the engine is that they are JASO MA/MA2 certified. 10W30 and 10W40 are the recommended weights for GL1800s. In cooler weather areas, 10W40 has been shown to cause small sticking problems for the spragg clutch (starter engagement clutch) on seemingly only 2009 GL1800s.

Yes, Honda filters are good, I do not know about K&N, and WIX makes most of the better filters for every other company. Some synthetic producers also sell top quality filters, such as Royal Purple and Amsoil. Fram does not. Fram makes most of the low quality filters on the market.

As far as switching to synthetics from Honda's conventional products is concerned, by all means, you can do it. If you were working with a vehicle that was 40 years old and had 300,000 miles on it, I would suggest you not undertake the experiment due to the detergent qualities of synthetics. They clean out all the crud that is holding the oil in your vehicle, and it leaks past the old dried out gaskets. Sometimes, over time, this causes the old dried out gaskets to swell, and the leaks stop, sometimes not. I personally do not experiment thusly. I do not respect people, supposedly in the know, who tell you you should not switch to synthetics purely on the value of their own ignorance of synthetic products. This happens a lot with dealership employees.

I personally use Amsoil Oil and Filters in/on my 2009 GL1800. I would recommend them to anyone. This does not mean there are not equally good products out there. Shell makes an excellent Rotella full synthetic (T6) and Royal Purple does also. Amsoil does sell a filter in their "Absolute Efficiency" line that I do not know of anyone else having.

And finally, if you change oil religiously at 3,000 mile intervals, all of the above would become extraneous, as you would be exceeding the expectation of even the manufacturer, and probably would not be served any better by synthetics. If you want to be a bit less industrious about oil changes, synthetics will save your butt. I change my oil with synthetics every 6 to 10 thousand miles of annually if I do not make that much mileage. I always change oil prior to putting the bike away for the season (which I must do here)

I hope I have provided enough information. If not, just ask, and more will be forthcoming.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

alwrmcusn

Post by alwrmcusn »

Thanks for the replies, and so promptly also!
I am considering going with the Shell Rotella Synthetic based on a number of recommendations of people riding same/similar bikes/trikes.
I have used K & N oil filters because they were very easy to spin on/off on my last trike (2009 Venture). I had a link once (since lost it) to a very detailed oil filter comparison. The comparison included lots of photos of the filters in dissection showing exactly what they were made of and how they were made. The Yamaha filter was near the bottom of the list, K & N along with others were near the top. Fram as I recall was a middle of the road design. I'll probably continue using K & N.
Thanks again for your replies.
wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 68,000+ miles
1995 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1982 CB750-F Super Sport 60,000+ miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Post by wingpilot08 »

No additional comment on the oil and filter. Nice looking trike BTW. What did you serve on as a radioman? I was on the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2. Thanks for your service!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 68,000+ miles
1995 Bunkhouse Camper
Darkside #1720
1975 CB550-4 mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1982 CB750-FSS 60,000+ miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles
Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron »

I use 10W40 Mobil 1 full synthetic. About $25 at wallyworld. Make sure that the oil you use does not have "evergy conserving" or anything to that effect in the bottom of the circle on the back. Have used it in 2 wings over about 125,000 miles. Used to use the short Purolator filter (white not yellow) but they quit selling it in wallyworld but they brought the supertech back so that is what I use. It is still made in the USA. I change about every 6K.
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y »

I use "Genuine Honda" oil and filters on my wing. I figure if I use what the manufacturer recommend then there will be no problems with my machine and if on the off chance there is one the issue of me using a non approved part will not be an issue. The local dealer has a $24 oil change special. Even if they didn't I can get some genuine parts from the dealer and do it myself. Or order a complete kit online.

I have over $20,000 invested in my ride. I'm not going to risk it to try to save a few bucks. Use the recommended parts and fluids.

Scott
Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron »

Scooter363y wrote:I use "Genuine Honda" oil and filters on my wing. I figure if I use what the manufacturer recommend then there will be no problems with my machine and if on the off chance there is one the issue of me using a non approved part will not be an issue. The local dealer has a $24 oil change special. Even if they didn't I can get some genuine parts from the dealer and do it myself. Or order a complete kit online.

I have over $20,000 invested in my ride. I'm not going to risk it to try to save a few bucks. Use the recommended parts and fluids.

Scott
Probably can't go wrong there. In my owners manual it does not recommend any particular brand, just recommended type of oil. And my manual does not have anything on the filter that i can find. Also I am not so sure there is any such thing as "Genuine Honda" oil and filters. In the 90's I think Vavoline made their oil and now I think Mobil does. If not mobil it would have to be another company that makes it to Honda's specs for the cheapest price. If it is still Mobil, way I look at it I am just eliminating the middle man.
alwrmcusn

Post by alwrmcusn »

Allow me to toss my two cents worth back into the pot (smile)
Basically all I wanted to know was this: At my first oil change would it be ok to switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil. The reason I was given is that there would be a small amount of "mixed" oils. Seems to me that would matter very little as the only way to not have a mixture would be to never switch oil types from day one to eternity!
I am sure that Honda (nor any of the other brands) actually manufacture their own filters, so the K & N part of the query was just to see if anyone else liked the K & N's.
Red Ron
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron »

alwrmcusn wrote:Allow me to toss my two cents worth back into the pot (smile)
Basically all I wanted to know was this: At my first oil change would it be ok to switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil. The reason I was given is that there would be a small amount of "mixed" oils. Seems to me that would matter very little as the only way to not have a mixture would be to never switch oil types from day one to eternity!
I am sure that Honda (nor any of the other brands) actually manufacture their own filters, so the K & N part of the query was just to see if anyone else liked the K & N's.
There used to be an argument back in the old days for not switching from dino to syn or even switching brands but I can't remember what it was. Short answer IMHO it is ok to switch to synthetic. If it wasn't ok to switch then almost everyone would have to stay with regular dino oil since that is what most new bikes come with from the factory.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The interesting thing about oils is that most are made at the same place. Base stock is the same, just the additives are specific to the individual company. Honda dosn't have an oil manufacturing plant. It outsources it's requirements to a refinery. Much like gas, tires, batteries and the likes; only so many places make these. Any good oil will work that is specific for wet clutch application. Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest