2002 Gl1800 20k miles fluctuating volt meter when revving and dimming lights

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
omega1967
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500, 2005 gl 1800

2002 Gl1800 20k miles fluctuating volt meter when revving and dimming lights

Post by omega1967 »

when I ride at night I notice the lights go dim when the rpms go down. and looking at the volt meter when you give it a little throttle it will drop down to 12 and then back up to 13.5 any ideas??

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: 2002 Gl1800 20k miles fluctuating volt meter when revving and dimming lights

Post by thrasherg »

My first thought was a bad battery or poor connection to the battery. The alternator voltage does drop when the engine idle's but the battery is there to keep everything going. If the brightness of the lights is changing noticeably whilst driving, I would suspect a failing battery or poor connections to the battery terminals. How old is the battery?

Gary
omega1967

Re: 2002 Gl1800 20k miles fluctuating volt meter when revving and dimming lights

Post by omega1967 »

the Ever Start battery is pretty new.
baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Post by baumedagn »

What does "pretty new" mean? Have you had the battery load tested? Any autoparts store should be able to check this for you.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

omega1967 wrote:the Ever Start battery is pretty new.
There is a good reason why the Wal-Mart "Ever Start" brand batteries have the nickname of "Never Start." It's definitely not unheard of to have them be DOA (or nearly so) right from the store. I would get the battery load checked to make sure it is good.
omega1967

Post by omega1967 »

lol i bought the bike from the dealership and they sold it new to a guy they ended up not being able to ride it for medical reasons so he traded it in on a side by side, The owner of the dealership stated that the battery is like a year old and it was load tested and checked out to be ok. The master mechanic at the dealership stated that he called Honda to see if anyone else had this problem and they said it was normal not to worry about it.He also stated that when they get in a new model they will check and see if it will do it. The after market volt meter that was installed was check out also and it was working properly. so it is a gl1800 mystery. Also the break light doesn't work when you use the hand break. The lights sometimes will work and sometimes they wont. O and also the friggin cruise control switch light has a short in it or it is bad because when you get up to speed and set it you can very lightly touch it and it will shut off. not the button but the top of it. I guess when it rains it pours.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

I'm just up 84 in Mt Home, I have an 02 and at warm idle mine drops to low 13s and at speed it reads 14.1, unless I'm running my heated gear and/or fog lights then I'm at 13.9. Consider what's connected and running at the times your voltage drops. If your voltage meter is not connected close to your battery there could be voltage drops across the additional wiring in the middle. It certainly sounds like the battery is at its near death. Still the first thing I'd do is check the battery connections, mine recently acted up and even though the contacts were clean I had tightened the screws with a Phillips head screw driver and they weren't actually tight. I'd get a brass brush and scrub the contacts good and clean then tighten them with a socket wrench. At the worse mine would start and as soon as I put it in gear or drop it down from the center stand I'd loose everything and it would shut down. Fortunately it was just after adding a harness to the battery connectors for my maintainer so it was easy to narrow it down. Its way too early in your bike's life to worry about anything except the battery or contacts until they are eliminated as issues. You might have a ground problems and that would be my next thought.

There are multiple micro switches that trigger you brake lights, each lever has two switches that control brake lights, in-gear start ability, and cruise control. Any of these switches can collect gunk and get stuck, thus your brake lights, cruise or in-gear start; I hose them out with CRC Electronics Cleaner and air hose them clean monthly; also ensure the wires on the back of the lever switches are connected - I've pulled mine loose just drying off after a bike wash. This cleaner also works well to clean sticky start, reverse, cruise, turn and start buttons. WD-40 works in a pinch but collects dust terribly around here and you're back in the same situation in a week or two during the summer. If your start switch or reverse switches are sticky or gunked up they can leave you without headlights! The start switch cuts lights out and triggers the starter with two different sets of contacts (first hand experience - no lights)!

Weather really getting messy where you're or I'd offer to get together and give your bike some TLC. I've had to deal with a lot of little things common to our locale's weather and dust.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"