Dun lop Elite 4's

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
motorcycleradio
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Gold Wing

Dun lop Elite 4's

Post by motorcycleradio »

I'm running my first set of Elite 4's. I love everything about them except one, my gas mileage has dropped 3 miles to a gallon. I think it's the tires since I am not having any other problems, and my gas purchase is at the same place and I pretty much have ridden the same routes. I won't change the tires because of this, but am curious if anyone else has the same change in gas mileage? Just a yes or no is good enough, I already keep my tire pressures correct for all rides. NOTHING else is different about my gas or stuff like that. I was getting 41 mpg before the change.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Re: Dun lop Elite 4's

Post by PastoT »

I've been running E-4s for about 7k miles now and haven't noted a drop in MPG. Now recently we switched to winter fuel and its gotten cold so I have a bit more idle time warming the bike up and more choke time but still only dropped 1 or 2 MPG over the last two weeks. All I notice is a bouncier front tire and the initial skipping around on rain grooved road (it took a thousand miles for that to wear off the new front tire).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

I know that some gas companies seem to change their gas formulations for colder weather and this frequently causes gas mileage to drop.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y »

I replaced my stock tires at 5,000 miles with E-4's. At the same time I put centramatic wheel balances. And wow what a difference. Both highly recommended.

I found that at the specified pressures the stock tires developed a "high " ridge along the center. Just like they were run at too low pressure. After the new tires were installed I upped the pressure by two psi . This seems to have cured the tire wear problem and also the handling issues that came with the strange handling that came along with the stock tires.

Have fun and ride safe

Scooter
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

I have probably 8k on my E-4s now and I haven't note the higher center ridge on the front like all of my E-3s formed in the latter half of their life. I also agree that running max pressure certainly did make a difference, it also pushes out the mileage at which they both developed cupping and feathering. So far my E-4s have run well after the first few hundred miles that the front chased grooves in the road; I kind of think that might have been mold release that just needed scrubbing out. Tread wear is thus far almost un-measurable. I haven't tried over exceeding cold pressure max, albeit they increase pressure when they heat up on the road. Its a balancing act between cushy ride and better life span.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"