Champion trike conversion kit info

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Champion trike conversion kit info

Post by salty1 »

I recently purchased a 2002 GW that has a Champion trike kit. I've read at the Champion website that they incorporate the wings rear suspension as part of the kit at the time of the build. They also install two Progressive shocks to help absorb road irregularities. My"new" trike's has a solid axle and the ride is pretty harsh. The bike's suspension adjustment doesn't appear to be working. The setting is at 15 and can't be changed. When I go to decrease or increase the setting nothing happens, its dead. I'm hope others with 1800 wings with this conversion kit can share with me their experiences

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Champion trike conversion kit info

Post by Big Blue UK »

My guess is that Champion probably applied the same principle as Lehman with their Mustang axle conversion which I have (also 2002). They incorporate the rear suspension by using the original rear shock top mounts, the original air suspension is removed, and progressive shocks are fitted, they do not bother to fit air shocks, pathetic really on a bike with air suspension to start with. It is all about cheapskating. You may well find a pair of these

Just guessing but displaying 15 may be because atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi

Get a C spanner to the rear shocks and play with the settings, old school style, play with your rear tyre pressures, I prefer 18 - 20 psi (always ride solo) well ok apart from

I know people may say 'that's low is it not dangerous'. I have rode all trikes including the reverse, and 2015 top of the range independent suspension conversion with 18" alloys. I have Dunlop GT qualifiers on the rear, I can let all the air out of one, and the tyre looks the same as the one on the other side that is inflated, try it. I have run 18 psi for years, and although tyre wear is next to nothing compared to a solo, tyre wear is even, what little there is.

If you have the rear shocks I suspect, set them to their lowest, set rear tyre pressure to 18-20 psi and try it, testing on the same bit of road.

Considerable lateral bouncing about comes with solid axle Wing trikes, you will develop a riding posture that helps on some of the rubbish roads we ride on, a nice road though is heaven.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Post by salty1 »

Thanks for the reply Big Blue. I will set the shocks to the lowest setting and reduce my tire pressure and see if that helps. I found that the rear suspension is working after fiddling with the switch. The pump begins to engage right at 15 and goes to 25. The bike's body does lift about an inch. I assume the higher setting will create a more harsh ride.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

From a previous post:
"the original air suspension is removed"
The GL1800 has hydraulic rear suspension adjustment, it is not air.
For the OP:
Run the setting on up to the max of 25. Higher setting does not mean a harsher ride!

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb »

Unless the trike (2001 to current) has an air compressor on it the suspension is electric over hydraulic.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

2008retiredplb wrote:Unless the trike (2001 to current) has an air compressor on it the suspension is electric over hydraulic.
2001-present GW OEM rear shock has a pump filled with "fluid" which adjusts the preset when one uses the controls to raise or lower the setting. Yes, the hydraulic pump is activated by the bikes "electrical" system.

Wingrider55
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800 with 2015 Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Wingrider55 »

salty1 wrote:Thanks for the reply Big Blue. I will set the shocks to the lowest setting and reduce my tire pressure and see if that helps. I found that the rear suspension is working after fiddling with the switch. The pump begins to engage right at 15 and goes to 25. The bike's body does lift about an inch. I assume the higher setting will create a more harsh ride.
If your suspension isn't engaging until 15, you may be bottoming out you suspension. Some of the 1800 have a problem with the suspension not engaging at 1 or 2, There is a fix for it. I'm posting it here for you. This is for a 2 wheeler but should be the same for a trike. The difference is how you get to the actuator. Hope this helps.

To test the actuator:
Place the bike on the center stand.
Turn the ignition to accessory.
Lower the pre-set to “0”.
Raise the pre-set and listen for a sound pitch change from the actuator.
When you hear the sound pitch change, release the pre-set button and look at the display to see where the actuator starts to add fluid through the hose to the shock pre-loader.
If your settings are anything above 0-1, then there is air in the system and it needs to be refilled.

To refill the actuator:
Place the bike on the center stand.
Turn the ignition key to accessory and lower the pre-sets to “0”.
Remove the seat and side covers.
Remove the rear fender.
Remove the three bolts inside the right saddlebag.
Remove the bolt on the outside upper right of the saddlebag to the frame.
Tilt out the bottom of the saddlebag and let it rest there.
Remove the (2) 12mm & (1) 10mm bolts from the actuator securing it to the frame.
With a pair of needle nosed pliers, squeeze the push in cable holder for the grey connector.
Remove the other connector from the actuator.
With brake cleaner, spray the area at the banjo bolt/hose so it’s clean. (will be making marks)
With a sharpie, make a dot on the top of the banjo fitting so you’ll know which end is up.
Make a small line right under the dot to the actuator body. (you are marking the orientation of the banjo fitting to the actuator body, so it gets put back in the same place)
Remove the 10mm banjo bolt from the hose.
Try to keep that end of the hose as high as you can so fluid doesn’t drain out while you continue.
With a thin screwdriver, insert it into the banjo bolt hole in the actuator and push the seal piston down with a little pressure until it bottoms out. If you feel or hear it move, try to push it down again until it stays down. (you’re trying to fill as much of the actuator reservoir as possible)
Refill the actuator. It only takes a couple ounces to top it off.
Replace the hose according to the marks you made earlier.
Before bolting it back on, test it first.
Plug both connectors back in the actuator and start the bike.
Listen for a sound pitch change as you add pre-sets. Once you hear it change sound, let the button go and look at the dash. If at “0” you’re done. If “1” or more, repeat the last steps to add more fluid.