DMC brand music player

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Organdonor1
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 GL

DMC brand music player

Post by Organdonor1 »

Bought a DMC from China. Plugged it in, inserted flash drive (formatted at 32FAT) with music in the root directory and 8 other folders. Turned on the bike, turned on the audio, hit the CD button.... nothing.... power light on the unit doesn't come on.... Also tried the AUX button.... same results... nothing..
I sent an email to the seller to see if I was not doing something right. Should hear from them in 1-2 business days according to EBay.
In the meantime... anyone have any ideas.... other than don't buy Chinese digital music players?
Thanks,
Bob

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: DMC brand music player

Post by Viking »

All I can say is try a different unit. They are all made in China now, I think, with perhaps the exception of BikeMP3. On my bike, I can only have six folders, including the root, and each of the others need to be named CD2 thru CD6. Any other will not play, although I never checked to see if it was recognized, as it played, so it must have been. Only the 2009 and newer United States model bikes could operate differently. It is the stereo that limits the folders and number of tunes.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

JHUBBLE
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 L4 / 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture/ 1997 Kawasaki 800 Vulcan Classic

Post by JHUBBLE »

Does your bike happen to have Navi? I'm not too certain how to interpret "motorcycle itself" for the DMC unit working on GL1800 with Navi.

copied from an Ebay listing on the DMC unit:
Note:This MP3 is not suitable for the motorcycle itself with navigation

I have Nav on mine, and was scared to get the DMC unit because of this. I elected to get the J&M unit. About a $90 difference though.

Jason
Organdonor1
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 GL

Post by Organdonor1 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I unplugged the unit, cleaned the contacts in the motorcycle side of the plug and it works great.....started with the FM radio on, pushed the CD button and it came to life. It can be controlled using the handlebar controls for the CD player...... now I'm happy..... the cable that came with the unit is a little too short to locate the player in the trunk..... so I'm off to find a dp15 male to female extension....
My bad for being in such a rush.
Goldwingmusicman
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE (Black)
2005 GL1800 (Nova Blue)

Post by Goldwingmusicman »

I bought one of these DMC players too. Man, what a headache!!
Do not try to use a USB drive because it will overload the bikes sound system processor and lock it up. The only way to fix this after your entire sound system appears dead, is to pull fuses 20 & 21 for about 10 seconds, then re-install.
Even if you use an SD card, if you try doing anything too fast, it will lock up again. Mine kept playing music even after the bike key was removed.
Quite frankly, even though these will work, do you want to be pulling fuses every time the DMC player gets temperamental?
In my opinion these DMC units are crap. And customer support is non-existent. Spend a little extra cash and buy a decent MP3 player from WingStuff.com.