ECU problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
gltrippen
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

ECU problems

Post by gltrippen »

My gl1800 cranks but will not start. Test prove there is no control power to (a good) fuel pump relay for two seconds at key on. Fuel pump will run if I provide power to activate relay. Tilt angle circuit and start stop switch test good. FI light codes are ( fuel injectors 1 through 6) faulted. Bike will bump start using starter fluid. ECU??? Help!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: ECU problems

Post by harvey01 »

What is the condition of the battery? Is it fully charged? Has it been removed and load tested? Are all the battery and ground wire connections tight? These things require a good battery.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
gltrippen
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Post by gltrippen »

Thanks for reply, battery is new, no corrosion on cables and they are tight; motor turns over strong.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

My first guess would be the kill switch stop the right bar cluster, but it sounds like you've check that. In the off position my 02 will crank but not start (which is handy after oil changes) but the FI code I don't recall noticing. You mentioned the battery is good and connections are secure; but mine were only screwdriver tight and still failed me twice (fixed with a 10mm socket tweak). I think an ECU issue would generate other additional issues. My focus would be to something common to all 6 fuel injectors like a common ground point or wire connector feeding signal to all the injectors, or something forgotten during winter maintenance. I don't have my schematics or electronic troubleshooting manual with me. I'd think weather got into a connector or a fouled relay. Did you do any maintenance under the shelter recently? Could anything have been left loose or disconnected? Did this just happen without anything leading up to it (a miraculously conceived problem)? Is it the first start of the season? Did a mouse or rabbit chew on a wire over the winter?

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"