CB transmission problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Flathead
Motorcycle: 2005 gl1800

CB transmission problem

Post by Flathead »

My CB is sick, low modulation. Sierra tickled it but said they found nothing wrong and it was performing at peak output? Others can hear me and /or my co-rider but, only if it is quiet as when stopped for a red light. They tell me my radio is weak.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: CB transmission problem

Post by WingAdmin »

Flathead wrote:My CB is sick, low modulation. Sierra tickled it but said they found nothing wrong and it was performing at peak output? Others can hear me and /or my co-rider but, only if it is quiet as when stopped for a red light. They tell me my radio is weak.
How about your intercom? Does it work OK? Can you and your passenger hear each other fine without cranking the intercom volume up?
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Flathead, make sure that the microphone is as close to your lips as possible when you talk.
I do not know what kind of headset you have but the headsets most if not all of use have noise cancelling microphones. The sound pressure on one side of the mic needs to exceed the sound pressure on the opposite side in order for it to modulate your radio properly. The microphone really needs to be touching your lips when you talk. Otherwise the sound of your voice will be felt on both sides of the microphone and will tend to cancel itself out somewhat.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Flathead

Post by Flathead »

Thanks for your replies, I have tried other helmet/headset combo's from various mfgr.s, which prompted me to send the CB into Sierra for repair, many suspected antenna problems so that was my first attempted repair but a new one made no difference. Just finished installing it back in bike and will be trying when weather gets better, I have many wingers who can help using their headsets. I will post results and hopefully what I might find that caused this and what I did to fix.
Thanks again,
Flathead
thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

I guess it depends what you mean when you say weak, if the signal is not very strong (I haven't used my CB in ages, but I think there is a signal strength indicator on the CB showing how large the signal is that is being received) then it could be antenna or CB issue, if the signal is strong but the audio is quiet then it sounds like either a CB problem (but Sierra would have found that) or you are not getting a strong enough audio signal into the CB (Poor microphone, leads, etc). You should also check what kind of microphone your intercom is using, I believe the CB requires an electret Condenser microphone, if you are using a moving coil or other type of microphone you will get a very weak audio.

Gary
Flathead

Post by Flathead »

Hello folks and thanks to all those who took the time to reply with suggestions for a fix. Here's how it went.... I installed the CB after getting it back from SIERRA'S workshop and even tho they couldn't find anything wrong with it, they tweaked the modulation up just a little. The unit was pushing a strong 4 watts at 1.5 SWR on Channel 1 and 40 when I sent it to them and they said it might squeal if they pushed it any further but whatever they did, it worked ! A small crew, along with myself and Mrs. Flathead went for a nice 150 mile WIND therapy ride yesterday and it performed nicely. Hopefully that GREMLIN fell off and won't find it's way back.
I am glad that SIERRA was able to look it over and pass their magic wand over it for me.
Thanks again to Y'all
From north Georgia !
tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

thrasherg wrote:I guess it depends what you mean when you say weak, if the signal is not very strong (I haven't used my CB in ages, but I think there is a signal strength indicator on the CB showing how large the signal is that is being received) then it could be antenna or CB issue, if the signal is strong but the audio is quiet then it sounds like either a CB problem (but Sierra would have found that) or you are not getting a strong enough audio signal into the CB (Poor microphone, leads, etc). You should also check what kind of microphone your intercom is using, I believe the CB requires an electret Condenser microphone, if you are using a moving coil or other type of microphone you will get a very weak audio.

Gary
Sorry, no signal strength meter on the OEM Honda CB!
For the OP. even though Sierra "fixed" your CB, for even better performance, tune the antenna w/an SWR meter.