New here! Need help with rear speakers please

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Hammer1989
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800 1981 CB750C 1997 GL1500 Valkyrie

New here! Need help with rear speakers please

Post by Hammer1989 »

Hello to all! I am new here and just traded my beloved 2003 Mint Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail 100th Anniversary with 4000 miles on it for a 2003 GL 1800 and I'm loving it so far! But I need some help...The bike doesn't have rear speakers from the factory but the boxes and grills are there but no speakers or wires that I can see. I would like to add the rear speakers but I'm clueless as to where they need to wire to I've looked at the wires I don't see any plugs for them to plug into so I'm guessing I will need to splice them into the wiring harness. I would like to know if anyone else has done this to their Goldwing that didn't have speakers already and where to start? Thanks in advance!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New here! Need help with rear speakers please

Post by WingAdmin »

Hammer1989 wrote:Hello to all! I am new here and just traded my beloved 2003 Mint Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail 100th Anniversary with 4000 miles on it for a 2003 GL 1800 and I'm loving it so far! But I need some help...The bike doesn't have rear speakers from the factory but the boxes and grills are there but no speakers or wires that I can see. I would like to add the rear speakers but I'm clueless as to where they need to wire to I've looked at the wires I don't see any plugs for them to plug into so I'm guessing I will need to splice them into the wiring harness. I would like to know if anyone else has done this to their Goldwing that didn't have speakers already and where to start? Thanks in advance!
Don't go hacking into your wiring harness - there are aftermarket harnesses that plug right in and give you exactly what you need:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ ... ness/20831

You can also get speakers from Cyclemax:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/replace ... akers/6353

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/replace ... akers/6364

In fact, if you are going to go visit the Cyclemax web site, you should get your credit cards out and get them ready, because they have a ton of great stuff for your bike. :)

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

Or these: http://wingstuff.com/products/3615-perf ... re-harness
High quality and direct fit.
Add another $10 to your purchase and get free shipping.

Hammer1989

Post by Hammer1989 »

Thanks for the help guys! That's a big relief that it will be that easy to install the new speakers I really love the bike I kick rocks at Harley's after riding my Goldwing and I'd just like to do a few things to it for me and the wife

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

A little time consuming job though. You will have to remove the top of the speaker boxes. Two of the screws is inside the trunk. You'll have to remove the inner liner to get to it. The other three are under the housing.
You'll also have to remove the seat to get to the plug for the cable. The plug is located just behind the relay box inside one of the clear plastic sleeves.
When removing the trunk liner, make sure you get the screws back in the proper places. I think two of them are longer and you don't want to put them where they don't belong.

Here's a link to some photos: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/rearspeakers.htm

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Empty speaker housings were a surprise to me also.. I thought they were just disconnected. :roll: Don't skimp on your speakers... be sure you get ones that are made for wet environments (think boat or hot tub types) or you'll need to replace them in a couple years. I made that mistake, but at the time I bought my 2002 I was more focused on helmets, gloves, jackets, etc. As the speaker boxes are open and allow rain and wash water in through the grills the speaker cones get at least some spray and will be damaged little by little. You might get by mounting a water barrier of some form behind the speaker grills. My first set have lasted 3 years surprisingly but are due for replacement soon. Also route your speaker wires clear of the trunk lid hinges, or secure them in a manner that prevents the wires from being pinched and cut by the hinges!
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Hammer1989

Post by Hammer1989 »

Thanks for all the help guys this is my first wing my old man always had one around he had 5 of them while I was growing up a 95 being the newest I cut my teeth on Honda's my first was a 86 250 Rebel then once I got brave I sold it and worked all summer and bought a 81 CB750 and fell in love all over again with motorcycles then through the years I've been in an out of various two wheeled relationships until I got my Harley Softail then made the leap of faith to take and trade it for the Goldwing and I haven't been happier I love this bike I just want to ask all of you guys for the help as me amdy dad only have worked with the 1100 1200 and 1500 wings the 1800 is a new animal for me. Now that my motorcycle relationship story is out of the way I did go thru Cyclemax and ordered the 2 way speakers with the Tweeter's and the harness as well at the harness with the pigtail and the 3.5mm auxiliary input cable and I got on WingStuff and order a trunk organizer. And geez I thought Harley had the market on accessories for motorcycles but Lord I've never seen like the goodies for the bike I'm like a kid in a toy store!

PastoT

Post by PastoT »

Yep! Now comes he fun of re-creating your own GL1800... Stick with the Forum(s) and research what farkles are made better and what works for best for you and others. I've surely spent a couple thousand on after market items, before I bought into a trailer and camper. ;)
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

fdxhawkr15374
Motorcycle: 1994 1500

Post by fdxhawkr15374 »

I was going after an f6b but have decided on a l1800 wing . One I'm looking at purchasing doesn't have rear speakers . What are the dimensions ? same size as a gl 1500 ? any suggestions? also what size are in the front? I can say one gl1800 I actually went ant took a look at had all 4 speakers already in it sounded amazing compared to a 1500. Can someone tell me are the front speakers a different size 2006 and up? if so what size are they?

PastoT

Post by PastoT »

Yes premium audio models 06 and newer have larger front speakers. I have read the Polk db651 is a direct bolt in, but there is a discussion on turning the speaker upside down and the existence of a shallow and a standard version. This is worth a read-> http://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-genera ... stall.html

Another article reads 2006 has 6 1/2" 4 bolt speakers. I have an 02 so I can't walk out and measure. But rears are 5" if it helps at all! BTW: The Polks generally upgraded to are marine grade so rain and bike washing wont destroy them, it would be worth checking for that rating.

Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"