Rear trunk side pocket broken

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
JMikeH
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 'BlkWng' Metallic Black Audio Comfort Navi XM ABS

Rear trunk side pocket broken

Post by JMikeH »

I accidentally broke my rear right side pocket hinge (one of the hinge pins). Does anyone know of anyway to repair it? I never found the original piece so I can't just glue it back on. I tried using some epoxy and glued a small round plastic pin in place of the broken one but that didn't last long. So I thought I would see if anyone might have had to do this is the past and any better ways of fixing it.

This is for a 2010 GW.

Mike...
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Rear trunk side pocket broken

Post by Viking »

It is a bit drastic, but if you do not use the pocket that much, you might just glue the door shut.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

JMikeH

Post by JMikeH »

Thanks, at least the door does stay closed with the one hinge pin that is still intact. I do keep my battery charging cable in that pocket. I finally found a couple other links about putting a metal pin in place but I think that fix action was for 1500's and not sure if I can do that in mine.
Mike...
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

If it's just the pin that broke off, You can repair it with a metal pin. Remove the door completely and drill a hole at the same spot as the pin. Make sure whatever you use is the same size as the pin. Put the door back on and push the pin through.
JMikeH

Post by JMikeH »

Well, I looked at it again. It's the 'tab' with the pin that actually broke off. So there isn't anything to drill through. But looking at it again with that in mind, I'm thinking I might be able to drill through the rubber stopper that's supposed to keep it on the pin and stick a metal pin through the rubber instead. I'll give that a try when I can get back to working on it.

I would just like to get it to swing open as much as normal as possible where right now it's just the one pin holding it in place. I don't use the pocket for anything other than holding my battery charging cable in it, so It's only open when the charger is connected. Anyway, I'll give that a shot.
Mike...
raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

One thing to remember is that Honda uses ABS for the body parts. Epoxy may work but there's nothing like the real thing. Using an ABS cement, such as that used for ABS pipes in the plumbing section, will provide a chemical bond and not just sticking to two parts.

I had the same thing happen on my 1500 (due to my own carelessness) so I am being very careful with the 1800. Now I make sure anything I open is securely closed.
JMikeH

Post by JMikeH »

Thanks, I didn't think about ABS. I have some of that around. I'll give that a try first to see if I can get my makeshift pin to stick back on.
Mike...
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

You're not alone; I'd bet 1 in 4 have had a rear pocket door open and mounted only to catch it with a boot heal and break a pin. I used Plastex to repair mine but within a year I did it again I opted to order a replacement hinge for it. I think it cost like $15 and 15 minutes of work with a stubby screw driver for my 2002. If the door isn't staying closed on its own its is very easy to snap a hinge pin off; so you might want to adjust the spring steel piece in the latch. Just don't lose the entire door, that raises the $takes quite a bit.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

PastoT wrote:You're not alone; I'd bet 1 in 4 have had a rear pocket door open and mounted only to catch it with a boot heal and break a pin. I used Plastex to repair mine but within a year I did it again I opted to order a replacement hinge for it. I think it cost like $15 and 15 minutes of work with a stubby screw driver for my 2002. If the door isn't staying closed on its own its is very easy to snap a hinge pin off; so you might want to adjust the spring steel piece in the latch. Just don't lose the entire door, that raises the $takes quite a bit.
that's fine if you own a 2001-2005. Those have a replaceable hinge. After that, they appear to be part of the pocket.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Wow, I've never looked into the newer models pockets. I suppose the change was intended to be more sturdy, Mine seem rather flimsy even new; I learned something today. The hinge base on mine was secured with two small screws that you could barely feel and can't see but I found them and that was merely an inconvenience in my case. I noticed the parts diagrams were really fuzzy when I tried to zoom in for a visual and a part number - nothing appeared familiar, guess I know why now. :o
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
JMikeH

Post by JMikeH »

And that explains why I couldn't understand at first how it could be replaced. I also didn't know that was changed from the earlier models.
Mike...
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider »

I had the left side break on my 2012 a while back and I'll be looking at repairing it today. This has got to be one of the crappiest designed things on the bike. I lost the door on the right side shortly after I got the bike, but I was able to get the dealer to replace it and the pocket (since that is where the broken pin was) under warranty. Seems like this is an area that is just begging for a better after-market solution.
/dwight

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.