Rear Preload Settings

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Rear Preload Settings

Post by mterraci »

I don't really have a feel for setting the hydraulic fluid to adjust the preload settings on the rear of the bike. Any advice and guidance is appreciated very much.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Rear Preload Settings

Post by tfdeputydawg »

1. Make sure pump is full
2. Set it on 25 and leave it there
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

If changes in your preload don't seem to make any difference it very well could be your bike's rear hydraulics are less than full so it will benefit from topping off the hydraulic pump. This is not intended to be serviceable but that hasn't stopped us from fixing this oversight. If you set the preload to zero then raise the setting the pump motor behind your right saddlebag should be heard to load up (due to pressure) immediately, commonly it doesn't until you reach a setting of 7 or 8. Topping up the fluid will help immensely, guidance can be found at: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

Low numbers on the setting will be you can bottom out the rear suspension more easily, raising the preload setting will help. This also impacts the ride height and how nimble the turning is, nothing too drastic but once you're used to your bike it can be noticed. I weight about 180# and have my preload set to 5, 10 when I'm two up or towing and 15 if towing and two up. A higher preset decreases the rack on the front forks effectively albeit a very small amount but the steering becomes a hair more nimble if the back end is not loaded down, so solo in the mountains I raise my preset. On the interstate I set the preload lower and add to the fork rack and it stabilizes steering for long straight hours. I find anything above 10 riding solo seems a bit hard in the rear end. I've only taken her to 20 a couple times when we were towing a heavy camper and two up. My preload pump was topped up 3 years ago and it loads instantly from 0 to 1.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Post by Fatwing Chris »

Being an 07 along with what PastoT says you probably need at least new springs.Even with low mileage.They were weak right from new.My 04 had approx 35 k on it and the springs were not good.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602