Left Rear Speaker

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Mischevious
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 Trike

Left Rear Speaker

Post by Mischevious »

Hello everyone. First off a big thank you for letting me join the forums. I recently bought a 2001 Gl1800 trike. It seems the left rear speaker is not working. I took it all apart and tried a different speaker and it also did not work. I followed the wiring to the harness and saw nothing amiss. I tried jiggling the wires while playing music and also nothing. Where should I start looking now?

2wheelscram
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Re: Left Rear Speaker

Post by 2wheelscram »

Did you first try the L / R balance or F / R fader control at the stereo control unit? Maybe a combination of fade / balance settings. Don't the wings also have passenger audio controls?

Also, test the original left speaker on the right side, if it works, then it's either a balance / fade / volume issue, or any wire / component / connection that feeds the rear left speaker.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

Wires in the trunk where they bend every time you open / close the lid have a tendency to break at the bends. Very common thing to happen. Splice in some very flexible wire to repair the breaks in the wires.
(Assuming that is the problem of course).
Regards,
Steve F
PS Welcome to the forum!
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."

2wheelscram
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Post by 2wheelscram »

Very true, Steve. I work on tractor trailer rigs and do a fair bit of troubleshoot / repair for faulty electrical. The common issues I encounter are excessive corrosion inside connector plugs, broken wiring due to corrosion or chaffing and broken wiring due to bending / pinch points. The hardest to find are broken wires where the wire insulation looks otherwise unaffected. Corrosion likes to hide in tricky, less obvious places.

Mischevious
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 Trike

Post by Mischevious »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will look into each one and keep you all posted.