GL1800 Goldwing Brakes Drag after recall fix

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Fishguy1
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing GL1800

GL1800 Goldwing Brakes Drag after recall fix

Post by Fishguy1 »

Has anyone had a problem with the back brakes dragging after having the recall fix completed at the dealer. They did the recall work on mine in the later part of 2015 and as of 2 days ago 3/9/2017 the back brakes are dragging and smoking again. Need to let the dealer know if anyone else has been having problems when I take my bike in on Tuesday. Thanks.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
184K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
14K Miles

Re: GL1800 Goldwing Brakes Drag after recall fix

Post by MikeB »

Have you flushed and bled the brakes since then? That may be all it needs.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

A thought. Did you have the second recall completed? That is the one where they actually replace the secondary master cylinder rather than simply inspect it. They also fully flush the rear brakes on this second brake recall.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

Latest recall:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE'S SECONDARY MASTER CYLINDER AND REAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AT NO COST TO YOU.

If dragging again, sounds like either secondary or rear or both were not replaced!
Lakelivin
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing 1800/2006 Shadow vt750 Aero

Post by Lakelivin »

Should this recall have eliminated "grabbing" brakes? My '06 had the initial recall accomplished about a week before I bought it (used). After owning it for about a month, I had the local Honda shop install a pair of new tires and new brakes all around. Since then the brakes have periodically "grabbed" at slow speed as if I was jamming the lever and pedal with all my might when in actuality I was attempting to slowly stop with minimal brake pressure applied. After a few applications of both brakes the problem disappeared only to show it's ugly head again later on under the same conditions. It acts as if the rotors or pads have humidity on them causing this "grabbing", but they do not. Hmmm.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Every GL1800 forum has a few members reporting brake drags after the recall work was done, not in large numbers but a few. A few more experienced it only after the recall was completed! Time to carefully get it back and have them do it right. Probably air left in the system from what most report but that means the recall work was not up to snuff. There is a specific method of brake bleed that adds to steps and non-standard bleed points that may be the solution; the dealerships will not modify there guidance. Google "Rocky Bleed", if you have to remedy your-self.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200 RT, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1987 VFR 400R, 1986 VFR 700F Gone: 2009 GL 1800 ABS

Post by motorhead1977 »

Lakelivin wrote:Should this recall have eliminated "grabbing" brakes? My '06 had the initial recall accomplished about a week before I bought it (used). After owning it for about a month, I had the local Honda shop install a pair of new tires and new brakes all around. Since then the brakes have periodically "grabbed" at slow speed as if I was jamming the lever and pedal with all my might when in actuality I was attempting to slowly stop with minimal brake pressure applied. After a few applications of both brakes the problem disappeared only to show it's ugly head again later on under the same conditions. It acts as if the rotors or pads have humidity on them causing this "grabbing", but they do not. Hmmm.

I had the complete rear MC recall done mid May of 2016 (5/17/2016). Afterward I did have "more pedal" than I had previously but it was just better, not dangerous at slow speeds. However, I just experienced this symptom Lakelivin describes over the past weekend. I went to NH to take the "Ride Like A Pro" course. On the way there (Through some heavy stop and go traffic leaving Albany, NY and then the mountains of Southern Vermont) my rear brake pedal travel seemed to get shorter and shorter. Once at the course the next day my rear brake became nearly uncontrollable at very low speed. Just as you describe - attempting to maintain light rear brake engagement while riding very slowly became impossible. The rear brake was either off or headed to full lock up as if I had slammed on the rear brake no mater how gently I applied the brake. The symptom ultimately caused me to stop participating in the course as a matter of safety. I did ride home using the interstate highway and after about 100 miles the rear brake pedal became fine again, just as Lakelivin describes as well, until I got near home and back into stop-n-go traffic, at which point the rear pedal began to "tighten up" again. I'll be contacting my dealer once they open on Tuesday to schedule it in for correction of the issue and also contacting Honda directly to demand they either pay for the service or reimburse me for what it ends up costing me. Never mind the lost registration fee for the course and the associated expenses for the two day trip. I'll not be riding the bike again until the problem is corrected. :evil: BTW, the Ride Like A Pro course is fantastic. I highly recommend it. I was very impressed and I've been riding motorcycles for over 46 years. Learned and improved many skill/techniques. A++ to http://www.MassMotorcycleSchool.com.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis
Lakelivin

Post by Lakelivin »

Hey there Motorhead1977. From your recent post, it seems you have the exact same issue I'm having with the "grabbing" brakes. I haven't taken mine back to the dealer yet for a "look-see". I figured once the new pads fully seated to the rotors the problem might repair itself. As of today, and approximately 1500ish miles later it still has the problem put doesn't seem quite as pronounced. I suppose I should put away my pride and return to the local dealer to find out what they have to say about it. In the mean time, please keep me posted as to what you find out concerning your "grabbing" brakes. I'm betting we have the same problem.
motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2018 BMW R1200 RT, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1987 VFR 400R, 1986 VFR 700F Gone: 2009 GL 1800 ABS

Post by motorhead1977 »

Lakelivin, I feel we do have the same situation. I'll be on the phone with my dealer tomorrow to set up an appointment once the Americade crowds are gone and things are back to normal at the dealership. I'll be certain to keep everyone aware as I learn more over the next couple of weeks.
I'm looking forward to getting it sorted so I can go complete the Ride Like a Pro course this summer.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis
bones6599
Motorcycle: 08 gl1800. Prev. Owned cb350, cb450, cb550-4, cb650, 2 750's,250 Yamaha, vf1100c

Post by bones6599 »

Got my recall done the 26th of may, have only got 350 mi. On it since but my brakes have been working great. Work done at schiets Motorsports in Fremont,oh. Good work and they even stayed over an hour late to get me done. Had the bike two weeks,and the back dragged for a bit one nite. All good now!
Do
motorhead1977

Post by motorhead1977 »

bones6599, that's great news. I dropped my bike off at my dealer, Sportline Powersports in Glens Falls, NY, this morning. They'll go through it and let me know. I told them no rush as I still have 3 other bikes I/we can ride. They have always been great for service, maintenance and parts. Very thorough and very customer service oriented. Now it's just wait until I have more information.
bones6599
Motorcycle: 08 gl1800. Prev. Owned cb350, cb450, cb550-4, cb650, 2 750's,250 Yamaha, vf1100c

Post by bones6599 »

Hey Motorhead 77, keep your fingers crossed they do it right. The individual I got my wing from told me when I first test rode it that he didn't get the recall done, didn't have the time. But also hadn't rode it much in the last couple years.('08 13,000 mi). The dealer he bought it from " checked it" but didn't do anything. I needed tires bad, so the first two weeks I rode the back roads, and carefully. One nite on the way home the back tightened up and dragged bad, I stopped in a parking lot and was standing beside it when about 3-4 min later it released. I will be replacing the pads soon. I have heard of the problem recurring with other guys, and the mechanic told me the flushing consists of 6 bottles of brake fluid, per Honda. Damn! That took awhile. Had them change coolant, clutch fluid and mount new tires, now just to change air filter. I'm going to tackle that myself. Safe riding all!!
motorhead1977

Post by motorhead1977 »

I hear you. We got our 09 with only 9,000 miles on it. Hardly ever ridden by the original owner. Perhaps the secondary rear master cylinder installed in the recall is defective. IDK. I'm sure they'll sort it and get it right.
Lakelivin

Post by Lakelivin »

This is getting super interesting... Seems I'll be making a trip back to the local Honda shop to get some answers as to why my '06 is having this issue AFTER the recall. Great read! Thanks guys!!
motorhead1977

Post by motorhead1977 »

My dealer called me a short while ago and told me the bike is ready. They said that the rear brake fluid looked contaminated and could only surmise that the fluid that was put in after the rear MC recall was the culprit. Contamination would cause the fluid to expand significantly when the brake/fluid was heated a lot and could cause the symptoms I experienced. They removed the rear caliper and verified that it was working properly and that the return wasn't plugged. They then completely flushed the system and added new brake fluid. They test rode it for a good distance and rode the rear brake to heat it up and it performed as it should without and loss of pedal travel or symptoms of sudden braking on applying the rear brake. I'll be picking it up during the coming week as I am swamped with work this weekend. Oh, and there was No Charge for all the service. :D I'll report more after I have another 1k miles on it.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

The original poster never did come back for any answers, or at least did not post again. If he read the answers, good deal, but if he never came back then we have been talking to the wind again. Good info coming out tho, so no matter. My brake replacement was done early spring 2016 and I have had no problems at all since, however, I had no problems at all before either.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Lakelivin

Post by Lakelivin »

motorhead1977 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 am My dealer called me a short while ago and told me the bike is ready. They said that the rear brake fluid looked contaminated and could only surmise that the fluid that was put in after the rear MC recall was the culprit. Contamination would cause the fluid to expand significantly when the brake/fluid was heated a lot and could cause the symptoms I experienced. They removed the rear caliper and verified that it was working properly and that the return wasn't plugged. They then completely flushed the system and added new brake fluid. They test rode it for a good distance and rode the rear brake to heat it up and it performed as it should without and loss of pedal travel or symptoms of sudden braking on applying the rear brake. I'll be picking it up during the coming week as I am swamped with work this weekend. Oh, and there was No Charge for all the service. :D I'll report more after I have another 1k miles on it.
Good deal motorhead1977! Glad to hear you got it figured out at no cost. Haven't had the chance to get mine back to the dealer yet. Too much rain lately to ride. Fear not! When the opportunity presents itself I'll get the ole girl down to the dealer and start asking some questions. Thanks for the update.