Install Zumo 665LM on GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Install Zumo 665LM on GL1800

Post by seabeechief »

Need help in how to install a Garmin Zumo 665LM on my GL1800. I don't know to hook it up so it will talk to me through the speakers and through the helmet speakers. The guys at the Honda shop don't know how to do it either. Does it HAVE TO go through AUX channel?

Maybe a diagram would help. I can provide an email address if necessary.

I need help with this guys, and remember, use small words and short sentences. I'm ain't the man I used to think I was.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Install Zumo 665LM on GL1800

Post by redbug »

Chief, Blue-tooth is involved, like a blue tooth headset. Garmin has a great help site.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "
seabeechief

Post by seabeechief »

No habla, redbug.....I don't have Bluetooth. The Garmin Zumo 665LM bracket I have has a cord attached to it. We have voltage to it, and it works. We just don't know where to attached the "headphone/audio out" jack.

Chief
Darkside #1609
redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

Staring at the screen the headphone jack is located left side 10 o'clock under a rubber weatherproof cover. Try that.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "
seabeechief

Post by seabeechief »

OK, redbug.... here is my two scenarios:

(1) There is an output jack on the left at 10:00 as you described. There is a cable; one end plugs into the GPS. Where does the other end go? Right now it plugs into a connector in the left pocket that holds my MP3 player. I can listen to my MP3 Player or Satellite radio using the AUX button. Right now, I have to unplug the MP3 player and plug the GPS into that connector. But I can only hear the GPS when I'm using the AUX button. I want to hear the GPS regardless of which noise I'm listening to.

(2) On the bracket/cradle that holds the GPS, there is a "cord" that incorporates (a) microphone jack 2.5mm, (b) mini usb connector, (c) wires with inline fuse for power connection, and (d) headphone/audio out jack 3.5mm. The power wires are connected and the GPS powers up and recharges. All this is in one covered "cable" that runs from the right handlebar to somewhere under the shelter.

What I need to know is, where do I plug in the headphone/audio jack to hear it when I'm playing the AM-FM radio, Satellite radio, MP3 player and/or CB.

The link below shows the cradle with cord and its wires.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/zumo_665_inst.pdf

Chief
Darkside #1609
redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

Ok, off the plug in from the cradle. The input you are using for a separate mp3? is really a mic input from your helmet, now yes you can here your mp3 but the garmin thinks you are still talking and will not respond. Now your garmin has mp3 built in and I bet if you down load to the unit you will be fine.
As far as where the wires go under the dash, sure.... only wire left is audio out or headphone ,so wire to the speaker ,or audio in on the radio to the speakers?
Garmin has strange ways of doing things, always seems to be you cant get what you want on the same unit.
Now did we get on the same page this time? Let me know where the wire went. There are some Garmin people on here, maybe they will show up and help you along.
" Riding on Tulsa Time "
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

Wires from the mounting cradle: Run down the handlebars under the black cover. You will have to remove the left pocket. Route the wires into the left pocket. Leave some slack in the wires to allow the handlebars to turn.
There are two connectors buried in the left pocket toward the front. One white three pin and a red two pin. You will need the patch cord to connect the audio.
Should have been supplied with the bike. The power connection is the red two pin connector. It's tight, but you can splice the power from the GPS into this wire.
After all is connected and the GPS powers up (key on), press the aux button twice and you should have audio from the speakers.
dumbdan
Motorcycle: 1982 GW1100 Interstate

Post by dumbdan »

I have a 2015 without nav and there is a device for 59.95 sold on the gw site that states it will work with a gps to allow the unit to tie into the intercom system. Has anyone done this on a 2015 unit?
Does it work as advertised?

Thanks
Dan