2009 GL1800 with 140K miles "To Do" list

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
mncowboy969
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

2009 GL1800 with 140K miles "To Do" list

Post by mncowboy969 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Fellow Goldwingers!

I have a new (to me) 2009 GL1800 Goldwing that has 140K miles on it. I purchased it last Fall, and was told that the alternator would need to be replaced. I have purchased an alternator, and opt’ed for the Compu-Fire, since I found a steal of a deal, for $200 off the listed price. Otherwise, I would have just gone for an OEM version. I’ve also got a 1985 GL1200, and learned from that bike, that it’s better to have too much electricity, than not enough! LOL

Since I’m going to be taking my new (to me) GL1800 to the shop to have the alternator replaced, I thought I’d ask what laundry list of things I should have the mechanic do, to insure that my high mileage bike stays running like a purring cat.

These are the things I have so far:
• Front end (suspension, brakes, bearings, etc.) have recently been done by the previous owner.
• Steering Bearing?
• Valve tappet clearances?
• Flush and fill the radiator?
• Replace the air filter
• Oil and oil filter change
• Transmission oil change (and filter?)?
• Fuel filter?
• Rear axle bearing?
• Rear driveline & pinion gear?
• Rear brake pads

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the above list (?’s = not sure if I should do?), as well as anything else I may have missed! This bike was meticulously maintained by the previous owner, but with the high miles, I want to avoid any mechanical problems, by fixing them now, while the bikes in the shop getting the alternator replaced.

Thanks in advance!
Semper Fi,
Ron

1985 GL1200A Aspencade

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: 2009 GL1800 with 140K miles "To Do" list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Congrats on the new Wing.
There are a lot of items on your list that you can do yourself instead of paying someone else.
Get yourself a Shop Manual or similar. There are also a lot of "How To's" on this site here that can help.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

mncowboy969

Post by mncowboy969 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm

NVSB4 wrote:Congrats on the new Wing.
There are a lot of items on your list that you can do yourself instead of paying someone else.
Get yourself a Shop Manual or similar. There are also a lot of "How To's" on this site here that can help.
Thanks MVSB4! I'm fortunate that the previous owner took such good care of it, and because of the mileage, I got a very fair deal for it.

Yes, I've been watching some of the video's, as well as the posts in the forums. And, good point in saving $$$! :)
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Post by NVSB4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm

It will also give you a great chance to intimately learn the new bike.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:36 am

Transmission oil and filter are the same as oil and filter... they are not two separate items. fuel filter is non existent. There is no rear axle bearing. The rest of your list is a pretty good start. Congrats on the 2009. It was a very good year, :lol:

You could flush all front and rear brakes and the clutch as well. This is an item that does not get done enough.

Semper Fidelis
Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 am

If you are doing all that, I would strongly suggest fitting new fork springs (I have progressive springs), disable the anti dive on the front fork and either fit a better rear shock (again I run a progressive unit) or fit a stronger spring to the standard rear shock (Progressive sells a spring for exactly this and it really helps). It makes a huge difference to the comfort and handling of the wing, stock suspension is too soft as standard and almost collapses under the weight of the bike (without the rider) and after 140K miles will be very tired, so replacing the springs at a minimum will make a big difference. I would also be checking the main head bearings, that a lot of miles and they might be past there best by now..

Everything else you mention would be good to do, transmission and engine oil is the same thing, but there is the oil in the rear drive shaft (maybe that's what you meant by transmission oil) and I would suggest getting that changed. I would also suggest getting the main air filter changed, they are a bugger to get to, but if you are doing all that, it would be silly to not change it!! Flushing the hydraulic fluid from the front/rear brake and clutch system would also be a smart move.

Gary

mncowboy969

Post by mncowboy969 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:42 pm

themainviking wrote:Transmission oil and filter are the same as oil and filter... they are not two separate items. fuel filter is non existent. There is no rear axle bearing. The rest of your list is a pretty good start. Congrats on the 2009. It was a very good year, :lol:

You could flush all front and rear brakes and the clutch as well. This is an item that does not get done enough.

Semper Fidelis
Viking
Semper Fi brother! Thanks, I only got a short ride in before winter hit last Fall, but it sure is a sweet bike! I've got a 1985 GL1200, which is sweet, but nothing compared to the ride of the GL1800! For the tranny/engine oil, I wasn't sure if the 1800's separated them. So, it looks like it's the same as the 1200's then. LMAO OK, good to know about the rear axle bearing, being non-existent! LOL No wonder I can't find them online! LOL OK, thanks! I can't wait for the weather to be good enough to get on the road with the new (to me) bike!!!
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

mncowboy969

Post by mncowboy969 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

thrasherg wrote:If you are doing all that, I would strongly suggest fitting new fork springs (I have progressive springs), disable the anti dive on the front fork and either fit a better rear shock (again I run a progressive unit) or fit a stronger spring to the standard rear shock (Progressive sells a spring for exactly this and it really helps). It makes a huge difference to the comfort and handling of the wing, stock suspension is too soft as standard and almost collapses under the weight of the bike (without the rider) and after 140K miles will be very tired, so replacing the springs at a minimum will make a big difference. I would also be checking the main head bearings, that a lot of miles and they might be past there best by now..

Everything else you mention would be good to do, transmission and engine oil is the same thing, but there is the oil in the rear drive shaft (maybe that's what you meant by transmission oil) and I would suggest getting that changed. I would also suggest getting the main air filter changed, they are a bugger to get to, but if you are doing all that, it would be silly to not change it!! Flushing the hydraulic fluid from the front/rear brake and clutch system would also be a smart move.

Gary

Howdy Gary,

Great suggestions, and I must admit, I didn't know that the GL1800's still used the same oil reservoir for engine and tranny. I've got an 1985 gl1200, and knew that they do. Figured Honda would have separated them by now, but why change something, if it's not broke! :)

I've got to dig up the receipts from the old owner. I know he had the front seals, and front bearing done, but not sure about the springs. Sadly, I've got a set of progressive springs for my GL1200 that are still in the box. But, I like your feedback about both the front springs and the rear shock too. Makes perfect sense!

I agree on the main head bearings. Somewhere I read that even the GL1800's have some steering shake/vibration, like the GL1200's did, but that a tapered head bearing fixes that? I haven't read up on the forums on that yet.

Great on the fluid flushing!

And, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for! Both from you, and the others that have graciously sent their feedback! This old goat may have 140K miles on her, but the previous owner took very good care of her, and I just want to be proactive to the number of miles vs. mechanical wear and tear, before something breaks.

Thank you all for the feedback!
Ron
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:01 pm

As far as the final drive, pick up a Trike take off. Many available at reasonable cost. Contact a trike dealer.

Sladep
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Airbag,
2004 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Kawasaki KDX 220
2000 Honda XR100R

Post by Sladep » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Your list is a good one. Tranny and engine oil is the same, as confirmed earlier. Thrasherg's suggestions about the Progressive fork springs and disabling the anti-dive are spot-on. They make a very big difference in performance, confidence and safety. I haven't changed out the rear shock due to cost, but don't find the stock one inhibiting very spirited riding. I strongly recommend replacing the steering head bearings with All Balls tapered bearings. The 40 mph death wobble when you back off the throttle and remove both hands from the bars gets serious surprisingly quick. I love Avon Cobra tires on my '08 Airbag model. Centramatic balancers on front and rear make it ride very smooth and add several thousand miles life, without cupping. I added a Sirius radio which I really like. I also have a 4" taller Honda windshield, which I cut to be 2" taller than stock. I'm 6' tall and it works great for me. Lube your throttle cables well while the upper deck is off. Hope this helps!

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 am

Your getting some good things as what you could do. Putting in my two cents. I got a new to me an 2006 with naïve and ABS just over a year ago. It had 40000 miles now up to 57000, I like to ride. It to was to have been serviced a short time ago...most of it was, but not the air filter ( yes a pain to get to) . Having a K&N in my GL1500 that I checked about once a year and removed a few bugs and just put it back in. I went with a K&N for the 06 as well. New tires and brake pads. A week later the right shock was leaking, (again, could see that they had been worked on before and upgraded ) went with the Progress gassed charged shocks this time.. They still use some oil, I figured being gas charged the affect on ride would be mineable if they did leaked again.

I had readied about the front end wobble (I did not feel it, I think from the upgraded shocks helped) I still put on the front shock brace ( was on plan when I got the bike had a Blackhawk (?) brand on my 1500 and made it feel a lot better.)
Also running the Centramatic balancers , put on at second set of tires changes.
I expect from what you say the owner before you took good care of it, But just to be sure check that there are not recalls outstanding .

I got a vibration about 45000 miles on it.(parked it ) not knowing if drive shaft or drive, got both from a trike shop for 50.00 each. Good place to buy and rear is 2012 (same part) with only 7000 miles. It was the driveshaft joint.

For me I add handed bar risers.
Now on second set of tires, found that a pound or two over factory PSI gives better wear.
Add fuel cleaner ever third tank.
So you enjoy your ride and ride often.

mncowboy969

Post by mncowboy969 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Thank you all for your replies, suggestions, ideas, etc.!

Thought I'd give you all an update. I've done the following:

* Bought new steering head bearings and going to replace the current ones
* Two new Dunlop Elite 4 tires
* Radiator flush
* New spark plugs
* Replaced alternator with 150 amp alternator (that was a bugger to replace!)
* Cleaned air filter
* Was going to install the Counteract ($250), but instead.....
* Decided on trying the Ride-On sealant/balancer to see how that works first
* TPMS to monitor both tires PSI and temperature
* New brake pads
* New oil in the rear drive
* Flush brake and clutch cables

Future items:
* The Progressive fork springs and disabling the anti-dive
* New rear shock

Thank you all for the great responses last year! And, as one mentioned, doing these things myself, has taught me a lot about my bike!

Thanks!
Ron

1985 GL1200A Aspencade