Gas Smell

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
TWOWHEELCOWBOY
Motorcycle: 2018 HONDA GOLD WING TOUR DCT /AIR BAG

Gas Smell

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY »

Hi all, I have a 2012 Wing sometimes when riding in stop and go traffic I get a strong smell of fuel. Pulled over and checked, not a drop of fuel anywheres? Does the Wing have a evaporation catch tank? When this happens the bike is around 1/2 full of fuel
Thanks for any suggestions

I thank Jesus for everyday I can still throw a leg over and ride :)
TWO WHEEL COWBOY
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Re: Gas Smell

Post by PastoT »

Quick guess is the gas vapor recycling and its canister is the culprit. From the top of the tank is a vapor hose that runs to the gas vapor canister located behind the lower cowl and in front of the clutch bleed valve. From that canister there are two more hoses, one short one that lets expanding vapor out when the bike is not running and a second that runs through a valve to the throttle body that sucks that gas vapor from the canister into the engine and burns it off. If that second hose it is clogged or that valve is not working, gas vapor will stream out the short open hose on the canister's right side. With a 1/2 tank of gas full there is enough vapor expansion from engine heat and sloshing around that the vapor expelled can be noticed when standing still. I'm not sure the valve is electrical or vacuum activated but that's where I would start (the hose and the valve to the throttle body. The same thing happens on a hot day if you overfill and more than just vapor expands into the fuel vapor canister, it will stink up your garage once parked. The hoses on the canister can also come loose if you have to move it out of the way to flush your clutch fluid. NOTE the short hose on the canister is not supposed to be connected to anything by design, don't plug it or lose your mind trying to find where it goes! :oops: Check the two longer hoses (to tank & to throttle body) and the valve.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY »

What a Great reply you are very versed in the subject. Can't thank you enough, l did unbolt and move that canester last time I changed out the clutch fluid. So that is the first place I'm going to look at those hoses. Do you think it would do any harm to gently blow compressed air through the long hose that leads to the throttlebody and the fuel tank to make sure they're not plugged ? Again thank you very much for your input and your knowledge on the subject
TWO WHEEL COWBOY
PastoT

Post by PastoT »

Well I'm not sure compressed air would be a good idea, first the valve is closed unless running and above temp so you might blown the hose, I really don't know. If warmed up and running the valve should open and there would be a vacuum you could check for. The hose from the tank should be clear though, that's likely where the fumes are coming from. The short (3-4") hose ought to be open as well. I'd sure look for kinks or twists in the hose to the throttle body and verify the valve is opening once the bike is warmed up and running (idle rpm should be enough I'd think). You might have to chase the hose to identify the valve. Its addressed as the EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve so I expect it to have a wire connected to it; it should be atop the front of the motor behind the black fork tunnel liner. I'll try and post a diagram of the EVAP system.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
PastoT

Post by PastoT »

Evaporative Emission Control System diagram
Attachments

EVAP system
EVAP system

Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY »

Once again Tom you've been a huge help, after reviewing the diagram it looks to me that I could take the vacuum hose off at the fuel tank connect a mighty vac gauge start the engine let it warm up to operating temperature and I should see vacuum at the gauge if the system is hopefully working properly. This is a big help once again thanks for everything Tom i'll let you know what I find
TWO WHEEL COWBOY
PastoT

Post by PastoT »

Something else I wanted to pass along. in the hot summer I spend a lot of time on the road and have a bad habit of overfilling my tank (above the bottom of the filler tube). There is still vapor room atop the fuel but I often use my center stand and find the vent at the top of the tank is likely getting submerged when I refuel and happen to return home. Once I put the rear end up on the center stand the vapor I suspect pushes fluid through the vent tube and of course it ends up in the evap canister where it vents into the garage and stinks it up. It took me a while to figure that one out; at the time I didn't know there was fuel vapor collection system aboard. I read the evap canister might be damaged if liquid fuel enters it but can't say that's factual or not; my old car's broken evap canister contained activated charcoal and didn't appear to be something that fluid would damage but it was much older also. I just stopped topping up the tank unless I know I'm continuing for 20-30 miles.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel smell

Post by WingAdmin »

TWOWHEELCOWBOY wrote:When riding in stop and go traffic with around 1/2 tank of fuel, I can smell fuel. It's not the smell of a raw fuel leak, it's almost like a vapor smell of fuel. Checked the bike over on my lift not one leak or traces of fuel anywheres? Does the Gl 1800 have some kind of Canester or evaporate system that I may be smelling?
Thanks for any suggestions
Joe
This can happen if you fill the gas tank really full, and get fuel into the evaporator canister. Go out for a nice long highway ride and let the gas tank get near to empty - that should ventilate the canister and remove any gas that has gotten into it.
TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY »

Ok Thanks to all replies, went on a 100+ mile ride today NO GAS SMELL :D
In very near future I'm installing PathFinder Driving/Fog lights. While I'm in that area of the bike, I will check out canister and all hoses and make sure everything is correct. Can't thank everyone enough for your suggestions and help
PS Lesson learned Don't over fill fuel tank!
TWO WHEEL COWBOY
RMRider
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 CSC

Post by RMRider »

I had the CSC auxiliary fuel tank installed on my 2013 Goldwing Trike and the shop accidentally cut the vent line grommet in the factory tank during the installation. It took a few months for the grommet to lose it's seal and the gas smell started. A new grommet solved the problem.
Attachments

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 »

Hopefully they solved the problem they caused!
TWOWHEELCOWBOY

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY »

Hi all, happy pre Memorial Day. I finally got the wing up on the lift to do some mods and maintenance. While I was in the front lower cowling area, I checked out the "Fuel Charcoal Canister".See photo, As it turns out Goldwing docs was absolutely correct, I had overfilled the tank and some of that fuel enters the canister and creates the "Fuel smell problem". The answer to the problem is do not fill up past the bottom of the filler neck, also states this in the manual.
Thanks again for all of the help.

TWO WHEEL COWBOY